Thoughts on wrestling/sparring

TRBLMKR

Feb 4, 2023
Parrots
Galah cockatoo
I have a pineapple gcc female named Pebbles. Born at the end of December. Super playful, and loving. Lately we have been rough housing, sparring, or play fighting. She is normally the one who instigates. Should I not act on her karate kicks? As long as both parties are playing, there shouldn't be any negative habits formed, hopefully? Ultimately, I don't want to her to become aggressive to others in the household or visitors. She is too sweet! Whatcha think?

Also, what is the typical age most gcc mature?
20230711_133054.jpg

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
I have a pineapple gcc female named Pebbles. Born at the end of December. Super playful, and loving. Lately we have been rough housing, sparring, or play fighting. She is normally the one who instigates. Should I not act on her karate kicks? As long as both parties are playing, there shouldn't be any negative habits formed, hopefully? Ultimately, I don't want to her to become aggressive to others in the household or visitors. She is too sweet! Whatcha think?

Also, what is the typical age most gcc mature?
View attachment 53301
I have to laugh - I have a cockatiel who play spar/fights. He is super sweet and when he is done its cuddle time- We have a great time!! His name is Angel but he sure has a devilish side!! Personally I dont have a problem with it. Maybe I am wrong but in a day- its all in good fun and he and I both love it.

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
Blueheaded Pionus-born May 2019
I had to think for a while but I think I know what you mean, it's like a playfighting thing.

For my Pionus, it's not a good idea. He usually escalates it and the gentle biting turns into hard biting and he gets angry.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
If they like it, and it doesn't escalate, it's fine.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With our DYH Amazon it is a serious no, no! As it is far too common for him to escalates it into a war in which he will not step-down from. Truly a game of blood and guts, generally mine!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
With a green cheek they enjoy it, and they grow out of it even if you always let them win. It's a good way to vent for them in a controlled environment. Like takeing a dog for a walk to get rid of excess energy. And it's a good bonding moment, you're wrestling, you're fighting and then they know you're not going to ever hurt them. You will gain more trust with a fight where they know you won't hurt a single feather on them......in my experience.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have to laugh - I have a cockatiel who play spar/fights. He is super sweet and when he is done its cuddle time- We have a great time!! His name is Angel but he sure has a devilish side!! Personally I dont have a problem with it. Maybe I am wrong but in a day- its all in good fun and he and I both love it.
My female Budgie Rocky loves to play rough and we indulge her. I'm not sure I would if she were a much larger bird like an Amazon or a larger conure like a Sun or Nanday, but GCs are only about the size of a cockatiel.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It's an individual thing, some birds like play fighting and hold no grudges others take it seriously and bite you.

I would say if it doesn't bite them it's fine. If it does bite then probably not

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My Amazon Salty loves to play fight. HE has amazing control and almost never escalates onto real fighting, very untypical for parrots and especially Amazons. We can play for awhile, more then 15 minutes sometimes, and he never chomps hard enough to even hurt much less bruise or draw blood, but he is perfectly capable of doing both. Careful observation before I attempt rough play gives me the feedback I need to know which way it will go. He will hang by one foot and try to get my fingers while i tease him behind his head. But really, you MUST know your parrot well before trying this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts