Time to give up? Bird not tamable?

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird
I found an Australian Cinnamon, with a lame right foot, in back yard, a little over two weeks ago. I could not find the owners. I decided - maybe unwisely - to keep her.

Between the cage, the vet, groomer, and so on, I'm sure I've spent over $400. I have also spent a lot of time. I have been very patient, and very calm, I have endured a lot of bites.

Today, for the first time, I am thinking of giving her away. Maybe to the humane society, or something.

The reason: she has not made any progress. She is still a vicious biter, and will not perch on my hand. The one time she got loose in the house, she went ballistic. It seems to me, that if she was ever really tame, she would not be this difficult. My guess is: she had a mate, and bonded to birds, not humans. She has never been tame, and never will be.

Should I keep trying? Again, she has made zero progress in over two weeks.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Two weeks is nothing, it can take a year for a bird to truly bond to you. Keep working on it and be patient, I have been working with Sully for 7 months and the only progress we have made is he likes for me to be in the same room as him, he actually screams when I leave but he does not want to be handled at all.
You may be right, your bird might have had a mate and may never be cuddly or be a hands on bird but instead might to just be on your shoulder and be in your company. Not all birds like to be handled, my breeding pair likes me, they just don't want to be touched.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I agree, two weeks is a short amount of time, don't give up! :)

bumblegum

Jun 25, 2012
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Loco & Roco, Jenday Conure brothers.
If you are really fond of her and feel like you can do it, I'd say "don't give up!" - but I can understand how it would be discouraging. Like others have said it can take weeks, months even YEARS for a bird to trust you or bond do you. If you really want to put the time into taming her up and getting her to trust you, I'd say go for it.

But, I would not feel bad in telling you that the best option may be to rehome her if you feel you don't have the time to do so. If you feel that you wouldn't be able to spend the time working on her, then maybe sending her to someone who can or who has a lovebird aviary might be the best option. :)

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
It can take so long to gain the trust of a new bird. Two weeks is nothing. I have had Kiwi for about a year now, we have made alot of progress but it has taken ALOT of time and patience. She still is very nervous, she still is not easy for anyone else but me to handle. Spring came and I felt like we were starting all over again. She is getting better but still it is in baby steps. If you feel like you want to make the commitment then I say stay with it, if you don't feel like you have the time then I would find someone with alot of experience & time.

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots
Indian Ringneck: Damien

RIP: Dempsey & Winston
you shouldn't give her away, even if she doesn't bond to you, you can still give her the best care she could ever need. You don't have to have a bird that is cuddled to you or can do a thousand tricks, you can keep her, talk to her still and know she is safe and that your money hasn't gone to waste.

OP
walterbyrd

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird
> you shouldn't give her away, even if she doesn't bond to you, you can still give her the best care she could ever need. You don't have to have a bird that is cuddled to you or can do a thousand tricks, you can keep her, talk to her still and know she is safe and that your money hasn't gone to waste.

But I have no way to safely take her out of her cage, because I doubt I could ever get her back in.

robear1991

Jun 26, 2012
Wellington, OH
Parrots
Apollo: Peach-faced Lovebird
Hey, i used this guide to completely train and hand tame my lovebird. He now knows how to step up, target train, is comfortable with my hands and is very sweet and pleasant.
Given, my bird is also a hand fed month and a half year old, but the article describes every situation from a hand tame parrot to a wild parrot.
I followed this like it was a bible, and I am very pleased with the results. I think you should use it for the basic care and handling with your cinnamon :)

Don't give up! I hope this helps!
How to Tame & Train Parrot - Step by Step Taming Guide

Neravas

Nov 11, 2011
Media
Wisconsin
Parrots
Blue Crowned Conure (Codex)
two weeks isnt much time, but also if you are not seeing any progress perhaps evaluate the ways in which you are attempting to tame her. Dont force your hands on her, that will make her nervous. Birds are prey animals and so require trust in order to be handles properly. Dogs and cats are preditory so u can use "dominance." its not like that with birds, gentleness and patience are what is required.

Try spending an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening just sitting by the cage and talking/reading to the bird. after about a week of doing that, open the door of the cage and offer treats. But do not try to handle her if she is untame.... you will just fluster her and make her afraid of hands.

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
Cochise took a year or better to learn trust. Don't attempt to take her out of the cage right now. Sit nearby, talk softly, read to her, sing to her. After time, she may take a treat through the bars..that is progress! Baby steps. She is probably scared, new surroundings, new people... Birds bite as a defense. Just take it slow. Good luck. We are here to help!

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots

Have you thought about having her wings clipped? That way she won't fly away, it will be safer for the first months of TLC, training and getting to know her. Damien kept flying away up to my curtain pole, it was getting me nowhere, since having his wings clipped he sits on his cage, and if he does glide off, he runs about, and figures out how to get back onto his cage, a whole lot safer than a flying birdy.

Now that his wings have grown back and he can fly up to the curtain if he wishes, he doesn't. he just sits on his cage, happily... and now flies around the room and goes back to his cage for his exercise. He's very content and doesn't get cuddles, he's not the cuddly type he likes to do his own thing. Maybe your bird could be like that too?

OP
walterbyrd

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird
She had her wings clipped, but I am still afraid to let her out of her cage. What if she does not want to go back? Even without flying she would be hard to catch. And if I do catch her, she would distrust me that much more.

I am trying to get her to accept my hand by hand feeding her small treats. Not much progress, she will take the treats, but only if she can do so without touching me. If I hold the treat too far away, she will bite.

I am not going to give her away. I was just discouraged because she does not seem to be making any progress.

I love the little bird, but she can be difficult. :)

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
If she is taking treats from you that is definitely progress. Go slow- baby steps .....she has to learn to trust you. Imagine if you were her....looking up at that big person. How fearful she must be. Maybe she has been free for a long time....you might start by putting her in a small room and leaving the cage door open, she may be very frightened of being cooped up and maybe she could start to warm up to you with you in the same room ....chin up things will get better...she has to learn to trust you.

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
I agree.I would start with training to step up on a stick, but not right away. Let her have time to warm up to you. Then once she has mastered that,find her most favorite treat, and use it only when you want her to go into her cage. She goes in after the treat, you close the door. The best tip ever given to me on birds that are difficult going in or out of the cage, is attach a perch to the inside of the door. Have a cage with the type of door that swings open, not up and down. You open the cage, the bird on the perch is technically not in his cage anymore. It makes it much easier. I keep all of my larger birds this way.

OP
walterbyrd

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird
> I agree.I would start with training to step up on a stick, but not right away.

She will squawk, run away, or bite the stick. Sticks are as unwelcome as hands.

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
That's why I said, not right away. Go very very slow. Have the stick with you as you give treats, but do not ask her to step up on it. Act like it is no big deal, just something you have with you. Birds have a comfort zone, especially new or scared ones. You can tell when you cross that zone, the bird will try to move away. So just work past that comfort zone for now. Progress can be something as simple as a treat being taken from the bars of the cage. And that does not mean move onto the next step right away! You are going to need extreme patience.

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots

Hey.. that is good, honestly. I can't even go near Damien in his cage he just climbs everywhere and flaps about, so believe me you are making progress hunny, more than you think!

I am glad you didn't give up on her, I can understand your frustration, but you are doing a good job and she is your baby now! :3 Goodluck to you, keep at it! ^____^

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I would only leave food in her cage... If she knows where the food is, she'll go back in...

All my birds gets fresh fruit and vegies every day, and they all sit there waiting for it...

OP
walterbyrd

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird
I thought I was making her progress. I got Lucky to jump on my forearm, and climb to my shoulder, and stay for some time.

But then she stared walking down to my hands, and tearing at skin at my wrists. She acts like she wants to rip my skin off, and she is very determined. Nothing will stop her for long.

Most Reactions