Time to re-home?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Yes. Take both birds either back to the breeder or to a rescue and get yourself a Labrador.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to keep Ricky and give Lucy to either an experienced bird family or to a rescue. Ricky is like family already....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If you have a large aviary, why not get more parrotlets of the same species; possibly Lucy may bond with another mate and you can keep Ricky as a companion inside. Or may be it is just a male and female thing. I don't know much about parrot lets but in IRNs the females can often be vicious and the male friendly. You cannot change a Parrot's nature.

While I understand where you're coming from with this advice Cardinal, I'm not sure that David adding MORE Parrotlets and hoping that one of them bonds with his female is the best thing to do right now...I think it's probably better if he Hits the Reset-Button and starts over with Lucy, trying to again earn her trust himself and bonding with her himself...Adding even more birds right now would most-likely only make things much, much worse, and he'd most-likely end-up with more birds that don't really like each other and can't be together at all...

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Maybe it is not the best idea, but I find merit in it: he took on both birds to give them a good life. Chucking the 'underperforner' when it comes to being human-friendly is a bit harsh.

Like the other thread about the too's: the human likes one of the pair better and is now contemplating making the tame one an in-house-bird because of the few hours of fun they (human and parrot) have together, depriving the tamer bird of a 24/7 same species companion (and possible mate).

(And since all toos crave non-stop interaction, so that is for me a more open-and-shut case than the parotlets.)

We keep birds because we crave the trust, interaction etc. etc. they can give us -- but we also (or even more) have a responsability not to close our eyes for the needs and wants of the animal who has had no say in this.

So if the parotlets are vastly different in that one wants to interact with a human more than his own species - let him/her.
If you do not want the bother to lure the other one to the same way of thinking.. either rehome them as a pair (if they are a pair! DNA sexing would be good), (if not) rehome the unwanted one, or (be fair to your comitment) keep him and give him another mate (if you want to breed)/ friend (just for company)/ a complete flock (for fun and quality of life) in an aviary.
Watching birds live their birdlife can be just as much fun as teaching a tamed bird to do tricks.

Last edited:

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I'm going to keep Ricky and give Lucy to either an experienced bird family or to a rescue. Ricky is like family already....

If you have a large aviary, why not get more parrotlets of the same species; possibly Lucy may bond with another mate and you can keep Ricky as a companion inside. Or may be it is just a male and female thing. I don't know much about parrot lets but in IRNs the females can often be vicious and the male friendly. You cannot change a Parrot's nature.

While I understand where you're coming from with this advice Cardinal, I'm not sure that David adding MORE Parrotlets and hoping that one of them bonds with his female is the best thing to do right now...I think it's probably better if he Hits the Reset-Button and starts over with Lucy, trying to again earn her trust himself and bonding with her himself...Adding even more birds right now would most-likely only make things much, much worse, and he'd most-likely end-up with more birds that don't really like each other and can't be together at all...

Not to mention, and I just want to throw my two-cents in for parrotlets specifically, they are NOT a species that can be generally just kept in a group aviary like most other birds. They pair bond very strongly, and even with a breeding pair, sometimes things end tragically. Adding a third bird to an already bonded pair almost always ends poorly. When sending home babies, if someone asked me about keeping even two, I always advised separate cages because once sexual maturity hits, clutch mates can stop getting along and if in too small of a cage, it goes from just tolerating another bird in their territory to eliminating the other bird.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
If you do not want the bother to lure the other one to the same way of thinking.. either rehome them as a pair (if they are a pair! DNA sexing would be good)

Parrotlets are sexually dimorphic; no need to DNA sex. I do wonder if these two are clutch-mates, since it sounds like he got them at the same time.

OP
daviddewlow

daviddewlow

Nov 29, 2018
It's possible that they are clutch-mates, but I doubt it. Although did bring them home on the same day, I had mentioned that I may breed in the future and wanted to avoid inbreeding.

The breeder seemed knowledgeable and his nursery was clean. Also, he kept records, banded his chicks and was knowledgeable in the color genetics of parrotlets....

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
If you do not want the bother to lure the other one to the same way of thinking.. either rehome them as a pair (if they are a pair! DNA sexing would be good)

Parrotlets are sexually dimorphic; no need to DNA sex. I do wonder if these two are clutch-mates, since it sounds like he got them at the same time.

I know, but it is not always as obvious in the different colour morphs.
No idea if this was the case or not.

I've heard too many people get it absolutely wrong.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

I know, but it is not always as obvious in the different colour morphs.
No idea if this was the case or not.

I've heard too many people get it absolutely wrong.

Good point! But it looks like his are turquoise, so they should follow the typical markings. Blue under the wings means boy. They're sure pretty.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Hey David! You still here? I understand you’ve decided to rehome the female???

Most Reactions

Latest posts