Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Trish! This one's for you :D. I was sitting in my car today in a parking lot with a planter in front of my car. The planter had a few bushes and trees... Nothing spectacular looking. I happened to look up, and there in front of me was the SMALLEST Hummingbird I have ever seen! It's body (minus tail and head) was no more than an inch! It fluttered around collecting nectar from the plant as I scrambled to get my phone out to take a pic! It was absolutely adorable.

I happened to get only one good clear shot, and it doesn't look AS tiny in the picture as it was in real life. It was most likely a male Rufous Hummingbird, as it had the right colors and was absolutely tiny. I've read Rufous can be as small as 1.8" = 4.572 cm.

Can you find him in the pic? Lol

It might have been a juvenile actually since it lacks throat color. Maybe they're slightly smaller than adults?

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Fantastic photo, Julie!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Ohhhhhh! That is the most adorable thing EVER!!! My husband and I have decided that if we ever make it to the US, the first thing we look for is a hummingbird. I can't conceive of a bird actually being that small. I have Hummingbird Envy!!! :D Thanks for posting, Julie. You made my day! :) :) :)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Glad it made your day Trish :D I couldn't get over how extra tiny it was even for a hummingbird!
I hope you can come here one day... The west coast has lots of them! Then again I say the same thing about Australia seeing flocks of wild cockatoos and different kinds of parakeets. I'd love seeing that :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilianรขโ‚ฌโ„ขs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I have only ever seen 2 in my life, and they take my breath away. I agree about visiting Australia though - I don't even know what I would do if I saw a flock of cockatoos, most likely I would just die on the spot. There is a wild population of Ringnecks here, and I can't wait to see them!

Most Reactions