Tiny pellets

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
I've been taking Rocky Too into the little birds' room for visits because that way he gets time with me and so do they. He's getting better about being in there without having a fit over it or getting terrified, though he still dodges when they fly. He doesn't fly.

A couple of nights ago, I was cleaning cages and refilling food and he asked for some of the Quakers' pellets, so I gave him some. Same brand he eats, but obviously much smaller. He chowed down on them. I don't know if he was really hungry or just wanted to participate with the class, but he clearly liked them a lot. I have sometimes bought him pellets in African grey size when they were out of macaw/cockatoo size at the store, but I figured the Quakers' pellets were way too small to be of interest. Now I'm thinking I should get him some.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I read that this could be a choking hazard because I had the same idea at one point. You might ask the vet etc, but mine said that she wouldn't advise it for that reason.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Surprising he would be interested, but perhaps a case of "me too."

When you observe him eat them, does he carefully grind them to swallow or down them whole as though it was ABC food?

*ABC = Already Been Chewed!

tanyamitchellrn

Nov 17, 2017
Northwest Illinois
Parrots
Kaya Cockatoo, EJ Amazon, Pepper African Grey, Casey IRN, Glen Sun Conure
I've been taking Rocky Too into the little birds' room for visits because that way he gets time with me and so do they. He's getting better about being in there without having a fit over it or getting terrified, though he still dodges when they fly. He doesn't fly.

A couple of nights ago, I was cleaning cages and refilling food and he asked for some of the Quakers' pellets, so I gave him some. Same brand he eats, but obviously much smaller. He chowed down on them. I don't know if he was really hungry or just wanted to participate with the class, but he clearly liked them a lot. I have sometimes bought him pellets in African grey size when they were out of macaw/cockatoo size at the store, but I figured the Quakers' pellets were way too small to be of interest. Now I'm thinking I should get him some.
My U2 eats cockatiel sized pellets. I tried the appropriate sized pellets but she barely touched them. In keeping with the size of her pellets.... EVERYTHING she eats she takes micro bites. We adopted her at at age 13 so I dont know how the original owner fed her... but I think he fed her ABC food because she tries to eat out of my mouth sometimes. I cant let her thi because the CAV said it stimulates her hormones. (That's a long story in itself)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Jesenice, Slowenia, Europe
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
my sun is exactly the opposite, she hates the small pieces and prefers those Amazon/Grey sized pellets, she loves to hold it to eat, I don't care, as long as she eats :D

OP
Siobhan

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
Rocky chewed them up quite thoroughly. He didn't swallow them whole. He even managed to hold a couple of them in his giant foot the way he holds his own pellets. LOL Who knew he had such a delicate touch?

I know what SunnyGirl means about the bigger pellets. My budgie eats the Quakers' pellets. He just bites off a piece and drops the rest, chews it up, picks up what he dropped and repeats the process. He also prefers toys their size. And I used to have a pigeon (RIP) who loved budgie toys and food.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Always amazing to watch a parrot hold food and manage eating with great dexterity.

Most Reactions