Tips for helping tame my 3rd tiel

MFajardo86

Sep 3, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels
Hey guys, as you know I have had 3 tiels now for close to 1 month. My original tiel lemon is hand raised and very tame. My pearl has quite a chill personality so she is already stepping up and tolerates me. However, my third guy Rusty is completely terrified of me. They are all hand raised but these guys werenā€™t purchased right away so they hung out till 6mo in the nursery. I have to admit I had to move cages and got a bit frustrated and grabbed him quickly to move him. Now heā€™s completely scared. Any tips on how I can win him back over?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
With my last 2 parrots I did things a little different. I open their cage in the morning, and let them out. Then I walked away after this to go cook breakfast. Eventually my curious parrots came out, and started to want to interact with me. I just let it be on their terms. Iā€™ve been bit too many times trying to force a bird to do something that they didnā€™t want to do. It just isnā€™t worth it to me.

I will add that I have my birds eating primarily veggies, fruits, and pellets. I do this intentionally to use high value treats like almonds, sun flower seeds, and such to train with, or for bribery (yes, Iā€™m not above it). I wouldnā€™t come out of my bedroom if I had a fridge of my favorite food/treats, toys, and everything that I need. I just apply this thought process to my parrots.

Most Reactions

Latest posts