To all medium/large parrot owners

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Remember that not all cockys will behave like yours did and there are at least 10 species of them so trying to characterise all of them from one experience is totally unfair. They are individuals and if someone is getting one then it's a great idea to have a back up plan. It certainly helped you having somewhere to take that cocky. Iv seen many people come onto this forum with birds that have become unmanageable big birds and small so having such a plan is a great idea.

I love cockys my Godmother has always owned one my whole life but let's label them all unsuitable.

What then are some medium sized parrots that are more suitable?
Iv started a thread asking this same question so it will be interesting getting people's opinions
I also said I think they can be smarter than I was and prevent my situation with Casper by not over cuddling them. Maybe you didn't read that part.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I also said I think they can be smarter than I was and prevent my situation with Casper by not over cuddling them. Maybe you didn't read that part.
I didn't have my friend as a back up plan in case I couldn't manage Casper. I never thought I would need to. I think a back up plan is good if someone has realistic expectations and a plan to prevent the behavior problems I had failed to anticipate. Rehoming to a friend, stranger, or shelter is always a "back up plan" , isn't it? What else do you do with a bird you can't care for?

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I didn't have my friend as a back up plan in case I couldn't manage Casper. I never thought I would need to. I think a back up plan is good if someone has realistic expectations and a plan to prevent the behavior problems I had failed to anticipate. Rehoming to a friend, stranger, or shelter is always a "back up plan" , isn't it? What else do you do with a bird you can't care for?
So it's good to have a back up plan. Thanks for reminding me of that.
I took note of that. Thanks.

Is there any medium sized parrots you would like to recommend instead of a cocky?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Remember that not all cockys will behave like yours did and there are at least 10 species of them so trying to characterise all of them from one experience is totally unfair. They are individuals and if someone is getting one then it's a great idea to have a back up plan. It certainly helped you having somewhere to take that cocky. Iv seen many people come onto this forum with birds that have become unmanageable big birds and small so having such a plan is a great idea.

I love cockys my Godmother has always owned one my whole life but let's label them all unsuitable.

What then are some medium sized parrots that are more suitable?
Iv started a thread asking this same question so it will be interesting getting people's opinions
I’ll put in my two cents and say I think she was just saying that ‘Toos are generally a bad idea. They are very sensitive and as she and others (including myself) have pointed out, they are not easy birds to have.

I am not trying to be rude, or mean, but please, take some consideration into the advice that is being given and what is being said. I understand that you really want a cockatoo, and I know that feeling! There are so many parrot species I would LOVE to have someday, but I know they would never be compatible with me. But please, sit down and think for a really long time about your future, your finances, your current situation, and if you can handle a bigger bird. Write down the pros and the cons that you read here. Really think about this. Adding any parrot of any species is absolutely life changing, especially if you have another parrot.

Could you handle buying more toys at a faster rate? Can you afford and maintain a much larger cage? Do you have the space? Can you afford thousands of dollars on the bird’s care? Do you plan on having kids? Plan on moving out of the country? etc. are all things you should really consider. Again, I am not saying this to be mean or rude or anything. These are serious questions that you must ask yourself and think long and hard about, before doing anything.

Spend some time around cockatoos. Rescues, breeders, maybe foster one, or hang out with those who have one. Handle them, get to know what they’re like, and see if you can handle the screaming. Again, let me preface this by saying I am not trying to be rude, combative, or the like, I just want to help guide you into making the right call.

I’m not saying you should or you should not, I am just saying that these are things you absolutely HAVE to consider. It is okay if a parrot species isn’t compatible with you, and it’s great if a species is!

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
WoW this thread as gone waaaaaaay off track.

The thread is about the differences between owning a small bird and owning a medium/large bird.

The thread is not about your experience or opinion on which species are good or bad as pets.

I actually opened another thread on that topic to prevent this one from being hyjacked and am happy to read about your opinions there and discuss it.

Thank you

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So it's good to have a back up plan. Thanks for reminding me of that.

I took note of that. Thanks.

Is there any medium sized parrots you would like to recommend instead of a cocky?
I have read really good things about Jardine's Parrots. They are apparently one of the quietest, least needy parrots. They can entertain themselves, they like to play with toys, can talk well, and are affectionate. Kinda sounds perfect, doesn't it? They look like a smaller Amazon so you still get that "big bird" experience without so much drama. No, I have never seem one IRL.
I also hear similar good things about Pionus parrots.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I have read really good things about Jardine's Parrots. They are apparently one of the quietest, least needy parrots. They can entertain themselves, they like to play with toys, can talk well, and are affectionate. Kinda sounds perfect, doesn't it? They look like a smaller Amazon so you still get that "big bird" experience without so much drama. No, I have never seem one IRL.
Thank you for your input it is much appreciated

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
But back on topic, having a bigger parrot vs smaller ones like tiels and budgies is a very different experience.
1. They have big beautiful feet with real talons and when they perch on your arm you really feel their weight and the warmth of their body.
2. They move slower- almost in slow motion compared to budgies and tiels.
3. Of course they eat a lot more and a larger variety of foods compared to most budgies. It can be a lot of fun to share bird safe meals with your bigger parrot.
4. Their poops don't just dry up to be brushed away like budgie poop. Big birds make big poops! You must be on top of cage cleaning.
5. Obviously their bites hurt more and their screams can bust eardrums.
6. They need MUCH bigger cages, which take up a lot of space and are pretty expensive. A budgie can live in a 24×24×30 cage, but I wouldn't put a parrot the size of an Amazon or a Grey in a cage any smaller than 48x32x36. Even that size, relative to the budgie and its cage, seems proportionally too small to me.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thank you for your input it is much appreciated.
But back on topic, having a bigger parrot vs smaller ones like tiels and budgies is a very different experience.
1. They have big beautiful feet with real talons and when they perch on your arm you really feel their weight and the warmth of their body.
2. They move slower- almost in slow motion compared to budgies and tiels.
3. Of course they eat a lot more and a larger variety of foods compared to most budgies. It can be a lot of fun to share bird safe meals with your bigger parrot.
4. Their poops don't just dry up to be brushed away like budgie poop. Big birds make big poops! You must be on top of cage cleaning.
5. Obviously their bites hurt more and their screams can bust eardrums.
6. They need MUCH bigger cages, which take up a lot of space and are pretty expensive. A budgie can live in a 24×24×30 cage, but I wouldn't put a parrot the size of an Amazon or a Grey in a cage any smaller than 48x32x36. Even that size, relative to the budgie and its cage, seems proportionally too small to me.
Wow that's a good one.
Thanks for making up that list.
All points noted.

Another one I keep thinking of is how to grab a bigger bird if i want to examine it or move it, I can't just use my one-handed grip that I do with small birds, I'm guessing two hands are required.

I would need another cage. The one I have now is cool for the little ones. It's 20" deep 32" wide and 55" tall.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Thank you for your input it is much appreciated.

Wow that's a good one.
Thanks for making up that list.
All points noted.

Another one I keep thinking of is how to grab a bigger bird if i want to examine it or move it, I can't just use my one-handed grip that I do with small birds, I'm guessing two hands are required.

I would need another cage. The one I have now is cool for the little ones. It's 20" deep 32" wide and 55" tall.
A towel is the most common method of grabbing and holding a medium sized parrot.depending on what you are doing it can take two.
one to do the holding and the Second to trim toenails or whatever.

I never asked what to do on the really large parrots.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I responded to your other post on this topic, so I'll be brief here. Research the small members of the Amazon family; Orange Wing, Lilac Fronted and Yellow Shoulder Amazons. My Yellow Shoulder is as close to a perfect parrot as I think possible. Up side is they are just as smart as the Hot three, talks an sings just as well, is much quieter, smaller- about 340 Grams, beak not quite as intimidating. Down side - He was expensive, being a rare parrot in aviculture, his terrible 2's was no joke and mating season is always iffy, Amazons in general tend to be 1 person parrots (but early socializing helps a lot) and like most bigger parrots they go thru toys at an alarming rate. We have had Salty for almost 9 years now, got him at about 6 months old, and I do not regret a single thing about him.

Bird Mann

Sep 27, 2023
Maple Ridge BC
Parrots
I care for and manage a bonded pair of Parrotlets.
What are the differences between owning a small parrot and a big parrot?

I've only ever owned budgies and cockatiels. I've always dreamt about owning a large/medium bird but never owned one. I've thought about it for years and concluded that a rose breasted cockatoo would be a good fit for me.

Know as galahs they are a species of cockatoo native to my homeland. They are on the smaller end of the scale for a cocky at 300-350g. One of the big appeals is that they don't have the loud screetch that other cockatoo species are known for instead they make more quieter chirpy and whistly sounds.
I see wild ones here in all kinds of environments including bush and urban. Iv seen them in pairs, small or massive flocks of nearly 100 and I've observed their antics closely over the years.
I see them eating calmly on the side of the road well aware that the cars are not going to hit them but drive past only feet away at high speed. Not that many birds are that confident as to eat that close to fast traffic, crows are but not many others. I think it's a sign of intelligence, they basically know our road rules, lol, confident that cars won't cross that line.

So what are the differences in owning a large bird. I figure it's going to eat and poop more. Needs more space. Its beak has the potential to really do damage to my skin. Galahs can live for over 40 years so it's a life long commitment for me that I'm aware of.

Iv got a cockatiel and I'm hoping that they will get along. I read that generally speaking most Aussie parrots will tolerate other Aussie parrots, not always but of course. I'll need to keep them separate and let them play together under my watchful eye.

What else?
Is there any thing else that anyone can add?
Differences in owning a small to big parrot.
Your thoughts would be much appreciated
Do you have any bird rescues/sanctuaries near you? if you do, why not foster a bird of your species of choice and see for yourself :) aside from the work and cost and cleaning and noise, each bird is an individual, like people. I bred pure bred Champion Bichon Frise dogs, and although most people could not tell them apart, each one was his/her own distinct personality. You want that perfect match - maybe a rescue can help make that happen for you. I am a tiny bird owner, Parrotlets which are really, large in every way except body. haha.

I certainly hope my comment was not taken to be nasty. It was not
meant to be at all :) Having been through pure bred dogs I have seen my share of nasty. Although I had top winning dogs, I packed it in. Sad for the breed. After my dogs passed I decided to go back to birds, for the most part people are really very nice here, but there are some sparks I see. I think when you love something or a cause so much emotions can run high, this especially happens in pet talk sites, and one of the main reasons I hesitated to join, this group however, is quite nice compared to others.

Last edited:

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Wow, I was going to comment on this, but I see there's just weird clap backs & immature comments going on. This is not the kind of thing that should be going on here IMO.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I responded to your other post on this topic, so I'll be brief here. Research the small members of the Amazon family; Orange Wing, Lilac Fronted and Yellow Shoulder Amazons. My Yellow Shoulder is as close to a perfect parrot as I think possible. Up side is they are just as smart as the Hot three, talks an sings just as well, is much quieter, smaller- about 340 Grams, beak not quite as intimidating. Down side - He was expensive, being a rare parrot in aviculture, his terrible 2's was no joke and mating season is always iffy, Amazons in general tend to be 1 person parrots (but early socializing helps a lot) and like most bigger parrots they go thru toys at an alarming rate. We have had Salty for almost 9 years now, got him at about 6 months old, and I do not regret a single thing about him.
Thanks again for your input.
Since I read your reply on my other thread I have been doing research on Amazon parrots. I didn't realize there were so many species of them.

On gumtree (an internet market) I can only find about 15-20 Amazons in the whole country, mostly blue fronted, and their all in the other most populated states. Yes they are expensive at over 1k each, I was hoping to pay less

You see I live in a small town, I can't find any breeders nearby so I'm limited to private sellers and 2 bird shops on my side of town and one on the other side of town.

So instead of picking a species and trying to find one I think it's best to see what's available or becoming available and then choose from that.

Last edited:
OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Wow, I was going to comment on this, but I see there's just weird clap backs & immature comments going on. This is not the kind of thing that should be going on here IMO.
There was one or two weird clap backs but I just try to ignore them and stick to the topic. You made a good post on my other thread and I liked it 🙂👍

Most Reactions

Latest posts