To prepare for a GCC

ExtraterrestrialGuy

Jun 19, 2012
Oxford, England.
Parrots
GCC, IR
Hey all.

I've been researching parrots for around three months now and have decided that I want to get a green cheek conure. I've decided to buy a cage sometime in the next month, along with toys any accessories needed, and then to buy a GCC afterwards.

I live in the UK, so I was wondering which websites are useful for parrot toys and food.

I'm also deciding between these two cages:

Dogs, Cats, Small Animals, Birds - Toys, Feed, Bedding, Medicine - Little Fluff

FirstDeal Online Shopping - United Kingdom - BIRD CAGE BELLA VISTA COCKATIEL CONURE PARAKEET

I was also wondering if anyone knows any good breeders in the UK. At the moment I've been checking out Birds for sale | Birdtrader

Any advice would be great. :)

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hello and welcome to the Forum:) I also live in the UK.

The first Cage is OK, the second one is very flimsy, I have seen it in a Shop!

A good place for toys and food is northernparrots.com or scarlettsparrots.

I dont know of any breeders.. Be a bit careful with Birdtrader as you get alot of scammers on there! Have you looked on Preloved?

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Be sure to get a Happy Hut for sleeping. Green cheeks love those.
As far as UK websites, there are others who can help with that.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I would not get a happy hut, too many parrots have died from pulling strands out and strangling themselves.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
I would not get a happy hut, too many parrots have died from pulling strands out and strangling themselves.

Well I have heard that as well but I can't for the life of me figure out what they are talking about. It is fleecy and I have not been able to find any threads. Now if a bird chewed on it throughout the day I guess they might be able to demolish it but mine never touches it except to sleep. He would be lost without his happy hut.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
I picked up a Liberta Ventura cage a couple of weeks ago, when we brought Aizen (our GCC home). It's pretty solid, and a decent size; we've not had it that long, so I can't talk for long-term durability. I picked one up from an ebay store for about £165, which considering it's build, seems like a great deal.

I'm sure others will chime in if they're terrible in the long run. ;)

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I, too, want to warn against purchasing a Happy Hut. I have seen several threads about parrots dying in them. They also encourage nesting and egg binding issues, if you have a sole female parrot.

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)

Well I have heard that as well but I can't for the life of me figure out what they are talking about. It is fleecy and I have not been able to find any threads. Now if a bird chewed on it throughout the day I guess they might be able to demolish it but mine never touches it except to sleep. He would be lost without his happy hut.

I totally agree with you. I keep hearing these negative things about the Happy Hut and have NEVER seen a thread inside the 2 I have. Maxx also LOVES his and will not be without it.

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.

Same! Mine would be go insane without hhis xD Even the first day he came home he fell in love.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Another good toy would be a Jungle Talk telephone.....that is how mine learned to say I love you and laugh. That is his favorite and another is a boing. You know the curly cue perch with a bell on the end. My boy isn't in to toys too much. We are his toys. LOL A playstand with a few toys is also a good idea. I have a grapevine stand and also a simple little "play station" that I made myself....with things hanging from it....

OP
ExtraterrestrialGuy

ExtraterrestrialGuy

Jun 19, 2012
Oxford, England.
Parrots
GCC, IR
Thanks for the help, everyone!

Are there any alternatives to the happy huts?

@Kinguncle, no I haven't bought it yet. I get paid at the end of this month so I'll buy one then.

Would anyone recommend the Montana Mini San Diego cage instead of the Rainforest Brasil? Going by the price I'd say the Montana Mini San Diego one is the superior one.

Preloved is a great website. Just need to find a breeder closer to where I live.:)

Last edited:

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
These work well also if you can find them over there. Forget the name of them but my GCC loves his.

wulfgeist-albums-my-pals-picture3893-sleepin.jpg

Kinguncle

Jun 22, 2012
Lancashire
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I get mine on Monday so will let you know what its like

Bought it from mammothpets.co.uk, they do a price match so I got the Montana for £112.50 which includes £25 worth of free parrot toys

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I don't use a happy hut for my quaker because I had gotten a snuggle ring from MSBS that he really likes. Alison and sweetie pie:D

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
I made my own hut for my gcc. It's made from two pieces of fleece and some cardboard, easy to make and I can just throw it away if I don't enjoy it. I just made small cuts all around it and tied it all together. The pieces you tie are too short for her to strangulate and it's her safe place at night. c:

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

Most Reactions