Too Many Nuts??

Deb

Dec 20, 2009
MN
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
I have a Blue Front Amazon that has been with me for 4 days. This is my first parrot. I read somewhere that you shouldn't feed them to many nuts as they're not very nutritious. "Albert" likes nuts such as brazil nuts, almonds, etc. My question is how many nuts is to many?? Is it ok to give him a couple every day as a treat. Can he have more than that??
:rainbow1::red::orange::blue::green:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
From the title I was expecting this to be a conversation about American politics... :)

Too many nuts? Well sure, too much of anything can be a bad thing. Most nuts are great healthy snacks for birds. The possibility of having too many comes from the fact that they have a high fat content - but they also have high protein, and often many minerals.

If a bird is on a primarily nut diet they will likely be getting too much fat and lacking other nutrients, but as a part of a balanced diet nuts are great. Be sure he gets his fruits and veggies and is eating his regular (pellet) food normally. I couldn't give a number of how many nuts - that rather depends on a birds condition and activity level.

You'll also hear many warnings about peanuts - but this is for different reasons. Peanuts often harbor a fungus which can be very dangerous for birds. Many people say not to use peanuts at all (and that's the course I'm currently taking) however from what I've gathered peanuts are supposed to be safe if they are packaged for human consumption ... I'm still trying to get better info on this.

A couple every day as a treat, certainly. More? A few sure. But everything in moderation. Experiment with other treats: fresh fruits and veggies.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Deb, how are things going with Albert? Sure you are making great progress. :blue:
AG is quite correct everything in moderation.
I run a dried fruit and nuts business. Sell to many pet shops here in South Africa.
Nuts are generally full of protein and minerals.
Mishka gets 5 nuts daily.
Nuts to offer : :)
almonds -
cashew plain -
brazil -
hazel -
pecan -
raw peanuts -
Monkey nuts -
Nuts to avoid offering :
Any salted ones :
Pistachios -
Macadamias -
Giant peanuts
If you purchase dried fruit (packaged ones), please check the packaging carefully :
Here in S.A. they are treated with sulphurdioxide, which is not good for them at all.
Keep us up to date okay !!!!!!
Great day

Last edited:
OP
Deb

Deb

Dec 20, 2009
MN
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
Well, I'm a little jealous. He climbed right onto my husbands shoulder but won't let me to close. His former person was a man tho' so I figured that would explain that. We finally got the house rearranged so he has his own place. I'm a fairly new empty nester {child wise anyway LOL} so Albert is going to live mainly in my son's old room so he will be separated from the cats while we sleep and work. After Christmas we will set his gym set up where the tree is now. Hopefully by that time he will be a little more used to us.
Thanks for all the good info. I was supposed to get some books with him but they forgot to bring them so I'm kind of flying blind right now :). They're going to bring the books next week so that'll help me figure things out
BTW Auggie's DAD. Love the line about American Politics :)

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hey Mishka's Mon - What are monkey nuts? It must be something we do not have or have by a different name in the states?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
:D Thought I you guys might not know what Monkey Nuts are!!!
It's nuts in a soft shell (mainly two inside the shell).
Birds love peeling them (making a big mess) :eek: then eating them.
Take care
:63:

Last edited:

Most Reactions