Too much bonding??

kimby1066

Aug 15, 2014
Duluth MN
Parrots
Was sold a BFA and now found he is a OWA.."Gus"
Today, I adopted my daughter's Amazon parrot...DNA proven male "Sam".
So awhile ago I posted about how my 23 year old African Grey was regurgitating for me...now he and my OWA have become great friends...(both males) so now my AG is "feeding" my OWA...and is is much more nippy, biting me more often...if they become too bonded will they not like humans??? Please help...any advice would be appreciated!!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
If you discontinue positive, individual interactions with your birds, there is definitely a possibility of one bird preferring their now perceived mate/best feathered friend over you. Flock interactions in the wild determine and build relationships, and in our homes it's no different. My IRN is the same as your AG. He'll regurgitate and display non-stop for Avery, my GCC. I often interrupt it because:

a.) Avery doesn't like it and is very much so bonded to me, and

b.) I also fear that he will bond too strongly to her and her alone (though ring necks are known for their promiscuity and frequent changing of favourites).

Do you have scheduled interactions with each bird individually, where you train/engage/entertain the bird with one-on-one time? If not, I would work towards that. Just like people-to-people friendships take dedication and time spent, our relationships with our fids require dedication and trust building interactions to maintain a healthy and happy relationship.

Alternatively, you could try and discourage the regurgitating, though you make receive a nice chomp if your AG is determined in sharing his love-goop...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's always possible...

But the damage is done now. Separate them now, and they will likely become most unhappy with you...

But my lilac crowned and my CAG do that all the time. And they are super bonded as well.

The CAG that was raised with Lila began plucking when her former owner got rid of all the other birds, and kept only him. Once he lost his flock, he started mutilating himself... (I tried to warn him! Told him what would happen... BUT! He wouldn't keep Lila and wouldn't give up the CAG. Now he has an unhappy plucked CAG, and Lila transferred her affection to Tusk.)

When Tusk went missing, she became withdrawn and depressed, and spent all her time glued to the window, staring at the tree he didn't come down from.

With my CAG nipping has less to do with my lilac crowned and more to do with just being stubborn and opinionated at times...

So my take on this would be more of a "Not now, I'm feeding my buddy" than "Go away, I don't need you anymore..."

Most Reactions