Tool using Amazon

jthorntonwillis

Nov 15, 2014
Media
Albums
Sunny St.Pete
Parrots
Mack the Knife-BFA
Hi all! Happy New Year!.My BFA Mack is a tool user!.When he loses one of his longer feathers,he keeps it in a corner of his house,and when his new feathers come in on his head where he can't reach,he retrieves the feather and uses it to dislodge the sheaths.I don't know if anyone else has experienced this,but I find it very entertaining! He gets this look on his face like OOOhhh,that feels SO good.. :green:

Attachments

• mack.jpg
    mack.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 104

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Happy New Year to you and yours!

Very clever bird you have there! I wish my quaker would learn that trick!

Snabb133

Dec 10, 2014
Sweden
Parrots
{Kiki, Blue Front Amazon}

{Taco, Barraband Parrot}

{Emil A.K.A Rocky, Red Lored Amazon}
My OWA Kiwi does exactly that too! When my hand isn't there for her though, she prefers me scratching her then. But she does have a backup plan sort of! :D

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Hi all! Happy New Year!.My BFA Mack is a tool user!.When he loses one of his longer feathers,he keeps it in a corner of his house,and when his new feathers come in on his head where he can't reach,he retrieves the feather and uses it to dislodge the sheaths.I don't know if anyone else has experienced this,but I find it very entertaining! He gets this look on his face like OOOhhh,that feels SO good.. :green:
Do you have a picture of the "house" you are talking about? Or can you describe it to me. My BFA only has a cage...not a house. I'm afraid I may be missing something. :D You know - some other way to spoil him.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a smart boy Mack is! His colors are stunning too! Mine just rubs his head on his pedi perch to get sheaths off><.

OP
jthorntonwillis

jthorntonwillis

Nov 15, 2014
Media
Albums
Sunny St.Pete
Parrots
Mack the Knife-BFA
Do you have a picture of the "house" you are talking about? Or can you describe it to me. My BFA only has a cage...not a house. I'm afraid I may be missing something. :D You know - some other way to spoil him.

Technically he has a cage.But the door is always open,and the only time he is inside is to eat,drink,and play with his inside toys.I just hate the word cage...It has a lot of negative connotations for me.(don't want to go there):green:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
When I'm talking to Kiwi, I always use the term "house" too. "Wanna go home?" You wanna come outta your house Kiwi". Because he totally understands right:D He rarely has the door closed either. Amazons are one of those species that can be free all day and not get into (too much) trouble;)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The only bird of my five I haven't seen do this is Tusk. Maggie uses those long molted tail feathers as back scratchers...

Sweepea actually uses her big toy for this as well.

OP
jthorntonwillis

jthorntonwillis

Nov 15, 2014
Media
Albums
Sunny St.Pete
Parrots
Mack the Knife-BFA
The weird thing is he (dna)male is the anthisesis of amazons...he wants to be rubbed,petted,and generally played with..Wants me to rub his back,will stay on me as long as I will have him..Never bites,will on occasion growl,but that is it. Is he ananomaly? After reading all of these posts,I think he may be.And I may be the reciepient of one of the good ones! :green:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
The weird thing is he (dna)male is the anthisesis of amazons...he wants to be rubbed,petted,and generally played with..Wants me to rub his back,will stay on me as long as I will have him..Never bites,will on occasion growl,but that is it. Is he ananomaly? After reading all of these posts,I think he may be.And I may be the reciepient of one of the good ones! :green:

I bet it's not so much Mack being 'an anomaly' as much as it is his owner being a good carer and treating him right;). Amazons (especially the 'rougher by nature' boys) get a bad reputation because they get bad owners who don't understand them. I actually don't know of any amazons who were in a loving home from a young age or who were rescued and had someone put in the time/effort to gain their trust who are mean, vicious, evil birds. I know of plenty who get crappy owners and become angry (and of course it's the "birds fault", not the owners!). Kind of a one bad apple spoils the bunch thing... Many people on here have newly adopted their zons and have not earned trust yet, so you do see more on a forum like this about nippy, mean, aggressive males, but they don't stay that way for too long! You should feel proud you have EARNED that level of love and trust from Mack:) You have done things RIGHT with him and it shows (and don't you just love the rewards of being good to your bird?:D)

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey jt, welcome to the forum. i'm just across the bridge in tera ciea . Nice BFA, i have zons also. Do you have a favorite AV? Hope to see you around on the forum.

ImmunoGoblin

Mar 5, 2014
outside Cincinnati, OH
Parrots
Tater Tot - DYH Amazon
Kiwi - Orange-winged Amazon
Biscuit - Young-ish cockatiel
That's super cool! I have seen Tater use tools in a different way - he bad a bit of sticky residue on his beak from something that he ate, and he went to a toy he usually ignores - one with lots and lots of coconut-shell-type fibers on it. He removed a bundle of fibers, brought it back to his perch, and used it kind of like dental floss, running it through his beak over and over again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts