Toy dyes running

Telken

Jul 4, 2015
I just did a really big clean on Finley's cage and everything to ever touch it (just a seasonal overhaul) and was trying to wash everything. Most of his things are fine, but two kinda freaked me out:

1 - A rope toy, where a bunch of small colorful rope bits come out of a wooden block and it hangs vertically

2 - This perch:

wSZD4uJ.png

The problem with these two is, as you can see on that perch, apparently the color does not get along well with water. The second it hit the water in the sink, the paint/dye/whatever was leaching everywhere. Is this... well, safe? And if so, is there a better way to do a thorough clean on these sorts of toys than water?

EDIT: I forgot to pay the toll. Here, have a picture. Excuse the molting feathers.

OhotjeR.png

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Oh my! I think you overpaid the toll with that adorable photo but I'm not complaining! What a beauty you have there!

The vegetable dye used for toys runs with only a drop of water, it isn't dangerous, just very colorful. I would trim any loose or frayed pieces off the rope toy but it should be okay too. I'm sorry, I don't know how to clean dyed toys without making a mess of the dye.

BridgetsFlame

Nov 24, 2015
Media
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Parrots
2 Sun Conures: Atticus (Hatched 7/11/10) and Rea (Hatched 27/10/15)
I hate dyed toys because of this, I keep wishing someone would think to make a giant woodblock toy that wasn't dyed. It's very pretty on purchase, but the minute you wash it it ends up brown. I generally selectively clean a toy with a tooth brush or similar, and only do the dirty bits. Though sometimes I just get sick of the dye and submerge and soak the whole toy till it returns to 'normal'. It doesn't take long to get the dye off, and it ned sup kind of pastelly if soaked for long enough.

I think the reason it runs is that it is just vegetable dye, no chemicals to fix the colour. These chemicals are the ones that tend to be dangerous, so the 'safer' dyes will run on contact with water.

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Why not make your own toys if it bothers you? And there are some out there without dye.

Most Reactions