Toy making info

MJJean

Jun 7, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Cheney, a Congo African Grey
Cheney :grey: is gleefully murdering off hundreds of dollars in toys we bought as a stockpile while waiting for her to be weaned and come home. My inner cheapo cringes. I have been considering going online and buying materials to make my own toys. First, because its less expensive. Second, because I can make her what she seems to like most. She has a thing for plastic parts and chewing on leather and she really likes to undo knots in ropes. She doesn't seem to like wood anything other than those popsicle sticks, which she kills in seconds. All of her other wooden block type toys she ignores.

Anyone have any design suggestions?

I was thinking of buying lengths of natural rope, leather (vegetable tanned) strips, a package of popsicle sticks, some wiffle balls, a package of large plastic beads with pre-drilled holes and a couple packages of leather (vegetable tanned) in various shapes and colors, also with holes, and put some toys together for her.

Do you guys make your own toys? Post some pics, if you like!

TeakwoodBirdHouse

Sep 20, 2011
Largo, Florida
I make toys for my own fids, and donate them to Rescues & Sanctuaries. I use household items like paper cups, paper plates, toilet paper rolls, wooden spoons, plastic straws, sewing spools, plastic buttons, wine corks, cheap beads from craft stores, cut squares of cardboard, natural leather laces, cotton string, strips of cut up clean white t shirts, cotton clothesline tied into knots, and just about anything else that is clean, natural, and undyed.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I've been buying custom toys from Birdy Booty and taking notes on what she does... LOL. The toys I've gotten there (so far $200 worth) are well made, Puck likes them a lot, and they're pretty reasonable.

OP
M

MJJean

Jun 7, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
I make toys for my own fids, and donate them to Rescues & Sanctuaries. I use household items like paper cups, paper plates, toilet paper rolls, wooden spoons, plastic straws, sewing spools, plastic buttons, wine corks, cheap beads from craft stores, cut squares of cardboard, natural leather laces, cotton string, strips of cut up clean white t shirts, cotton clothesline tied into knots, and just about anything else that is clean, natural, and undyed.

Cheney is my first large bird. As a child we had finches and a cockatiels and I had a cockatiel as an adult, but that is my total bird experience until Cheney.

I have been nervous about letting her play with household items for fear she will hurt herself or choke on them or something. I have 4 dogs and due to possible blockages I keep them strictly to dog toys. Maybe my mind is shying away from allowing Cheney to play with things that aren't bird toys because of that.

Is there a list somewhere of common household things birds can play with? She is very curious about stuff, so maybe she would like to shred and toss more items than I have been allowing.

OP
M

MJJean

Jun 7, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
I've been buying custom toys from Birdy Booty and taking notes on what she does... LOL. The toys I've gotten there (so far $200 worth) are well made, Puck likes them a lot, and they're pretty reasonable.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Most Reactions

Latest posts