Toys for lincoln

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Went to the craft store and picked up some supplies to make some toys for Lincoln. I'm pretty happy with what I got for the price I hope Lincoln likes them too. The basket is inspired by another user who did something similar and attached stuff to it. Can't remember who it was though. Easter eggs are because Lincoln loves the sound of pebbles rattling around and just loves them but I'm afraid of him swallowing them so I thought it'd be nice to put them in easter eggs that he can't get open. These eggs are relatively thick and harder to open so I really hope he went be able to open them but I'll only let him have them during supervised play. Chose the carrots because of the little stem, it could act as a handle for him to hold onto. The little wreath thing is just something I could tie some blocks or what not to so it can just dangle in his cage or on the play stand and he can tear at it. I also have supplies at home like twine and what not I'll use.

VhcskCu.jpg

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I need to get to the craft store. Unfortunately, I don't have many craft store options except for one chain that I absolutely refuse to support. But that basket idea is so fantastic. I'm looking forward to pictures when you're done!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
May I ask what chain you refuse to support any why? If it's a personal reason I understand that I'd just like to know if they support animal abuse or something because I wouldn't want to buy from them ever again

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
It's political, which I don't think the mods would appreciate. While it has nothing to do with animal abuse, it's still a social justice issue I feel strongly about.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
That's completely understandable and yeah you're right about the mods probably not liking it, didn't think of that.

I was showing Lincoln everything and he got distracted by something and I brought a popsicle stick up to him and it made him jump and I feel so bad D:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I need to get to the craft store. Unfortunately, I don't have many craft store options except for one chain that I absolutely refuse to support. But that basket idea is so fantastic. I'm looking forward to pictures when you're done!

May I ask what chain you refuse to support any why? If it's a personal reason I understand that I'd just like to know if they support animal abuse or something because I wouldn't want to buy from them ever again

It's political, which I don't think the mods would appreciate. While it has nothing to do with animal abuse, it's still a social justice issue I feel strongly about.

Well done, Beatrice! A great call, and FTR I completely agree with you! :)
(I can say that 'cause you didn't name the chain!!)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Nice! Looking forward to seeing what toys you craft out of these supplies! Just make sure that the wood is bird-safe and has never been treated.

And btw... if Lincoln is anything like my ekkies he will get those eggs open. Hahahahaha! But those wooden spheres, while too hard to serve as chew toys, would make for excellent pebble substitutes that seem (judging from the pic) to be too large to be choking hazards.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
One thing you could try too, that I've done for Chicken in the past as a foraging activity, is put some rocks in her pellets. I've gone to the dollar store and bought a bag of the polished river rock, not the pebbles but the actual rocks so they are too big to swallow and sanitized them well. I soaked them in bleach water then rinsed them several times really well and let them dry completely. Then I put them in her bowl with a few pellets so she had to dig through the rocks to get to her pellets. I thought it worked well because the rocks are heavy so it took her a little more effort to pick them up and fling them out of her bowl, and unlike if you were to put wood pieces in the bowl, if they end up in the bottom of the cage in junk, they won't absorb any nasty stuff, so they stay sanitary. You just need to wash them off.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I might try that Outlawed, sounds like a really good suggestion. And I was planning on putting holes in the wooden beads and cubes so I could stick some treats in them so Lincoln can forage more.

Most Reactions

Latest posts