training to go back at night?

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I leave my green cheecks cage open now all day they have a small bedroom to themselves no preadtors are allowed in there like cats and dogs so its safe I just have a fake plant in there and some plastic shelves and books

They dont go back at night tho? well one didn't and the other one is calling should i turn t heir full spectrum light on?

I dont think these birds ever been let out but they are not spooky and dont fly or spook when i go in

I never tried to pick them up but when i was cleaning the cage one jumped on the floor and bit me hard it was not a nibble it was a hard bite lol so i dont think they are friendly

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
it sounds like you haven't had them very long.

when I turn the lights down in our bedroom they know it's time to climb in the cage. all my birds put themselves to bed....guess I'm lucky.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
So they are not hand tame? If you are confident with taming them, I would keep them in their cage and train them with food rewards.

To get them to come back into their cage, feed them in the morning and then take all food out of their cage (leave the water in). Then, when you want them to go back into their cage, put the food back in.

OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
hey they are older birds that the man was using as breeders so I dont think they will change their ways? They are not tame but not flighty at all or scared of me, but i had to pick up one bird and put her back myself because she flew to the floor when the lights went out

I think they just dont know how to come in and out of the cage because they never did it, maybe just takes practice for them?

I use to train my finches and canary to come in and out on their own also, just took them time to get use to it I think? I never had green cheecks tho

they sleep in their nest box at night something none of my birds did

Last edited:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Most birds' eyesight are poor in the dark. Could it be he just could not see the way but wanted to go back to the cage? Maybe consider a small night light or let them get used to a lights out schedule to give them enough time to settle in for the night.

MagegrayWolf

May 3, 2013
Parrots
Sun Conure (Dunkin)
grey cockatiel (Nalo)
I trained my sun conure to go back on command.
I took his favorite treat and held it just inside the cage and when he would go into the cage for the treat I would give the command "go back". I wouldn't always close the door after he went back either. Keep that random so that the bird doesn't feel tricked.

OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
nice they dont take treats from me lol but the male trys to attack me when i go in he sneaks up on me and then flys at me

is this common? with pairs? he started dancing when i went in there and just snuck up on mee, i should film it?

Most Reactions

Latest posts