Training Treats

TheGoschMan

Dec 29, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
This is Cosmo. He's about 3 months old we think. Still squawks for the feeding but doesn't take too much. He gets chop and some pellets every day along with a variety of fruit. We've been working with him for the step up and such. I started working his retrieval skills a couple days ago. He's quick to catch on.
Question: How much is too much? We use pumpkin seeds or safflower seeds when we're working with him. We're worried that we're going to overload him with these seeds. On any given 24 hr period, he may get 10-15 pumpkin seeds and or 10-15 safflower seeds. Are we being excessive with these seeds?

Thanks

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Safflower seeds are quite small so I think 10-15 in a day would be fine. Maybe a few less pumpkin seeds, though. Does he have a favorite fruit or veggie that you could use instead?

OP
TheGoschMan

TheGoschMan

Dec 29, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
Safflower seeds are quite small so I think 10-15 in a day would be fine. Maybe a few less pumpkin seeds, though. Does he have a favorite fruit or veggie that you could use instead?
Thanks for the response. We haven't really tried fruit/veggie as a treat. He does eat them with his chop mix. Like the seeds cuz they're less messy.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
I've read that training treats should be something they do not get in their meals, otherwise they aren't as motivated by the treat. Our eclectus will only train for almond slivers. I use a razor blade to slice them. I try to keep him to just one almond a day at the recommendation of our vet. Unfortunately, Toby will only get in his cage for a sliver of cheese in his bowl or a Nutriberry. The bird has trained us well.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
@TheGoschMan, here's a shout-out since I see that you're running Linux Mint O/S on your PC. As a computer guy with a large family, most of the PC's in the house are running LM.

OP
TheGoschMan

TheGoschMan

Dec 29, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
@TheGoschMan, here's a shout-out since I see that you're running Linux Mint O/S on your PC. As a computer guy with a large family, most of the PC's in the house are running LM.
Yeah! Windows won the battle of will power! I finally got fed up with it and went with Linux. I don't use the computer as much as I used to so all I needed was something stable and dependable for surfing the web, emails, etc.

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
This is Cosmo. He's about 3 months old we think. Still squawks for the feeding but doesn't take too much. He gets chop and some pellets every day along with a variety of fruit. We've been working with him for the step up and such. I started working his retrieval skills a couple days ago. He's quick to catch on.
Question: How much is too much? We use pumpkin seeds or safflower seeds when we're working with him. We're worried that we're going to overload him with these seeds. On any given 24 hr period, he may get 10-15 pumpkin seeds and or 10-15 safflower seeds. Are we being excessive with these seeds?

Thanks
View attachment 56966
Hello :) Great video:) I recently taught my Moses to poop on request:) He also learned that very well and quickly:) When i see he has not pooped in awhile, i will have him on my finger and I say "Poopy Time" and he poops and i give him a treat:)
Now as far as Treats:
I was told and i think it works great:
I take no more than 1 alomd a day and I slice it into fine slivers and usually i can get him a reward with less than 1/2 almond a day:) his annual blood tests are all very good now:)
I see some folks give walnuts, i did that for awhile until i learned they have too much fat for eckies.
so thank you and God Bless and Happy New Year
azflcowboy in florida

Attachments

• 20211029_075613.jpg
    20211029_075613.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
TheGoschMan

TheGoschMan

Dec 29, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
Hello :) Great video:) I recently taught my Moses to poop on request:) He also learned that very well and quickly:) When i see he has not pooped in awhile, i will have him on my finger and I say "Poopy Time" and he poops and i give him a treat:)
Now as far as Treats:
I was told and i think it works great:
I take no more than 1 alomd a day and I slice it into fine slivers and usually i can get him a reward with less than 1/2 almond a day:) his annual blood tests are all very good now:)
I see some folks give walnuts, i did that for awhile until i learned they have too much fat for eckies.
so thank you and God Bless and Happy New Year
azflcowboy in florida
WOW! I was a door gunner with 191st AHC 1970

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
WOW! I was a door gunner with 191st AHC 1970
Hello Gosch Man :) Wow the 191 AHC, I was with the 180th ASHC in Tuy Hoa Phu Hiep:) worked out of Pleiku during the 1970 spring campaign into Cambodia:) I was 68F20 but when short of crew i did gunner or crew chief job (never got the flight pay they promised i would get when i got home:))) thats ok i got HOME:) then went to Hunter AAF Savannah, Ga. Glad you liked my post about my Moses:) yes he "poops" on command :) stay in touch as i am the azflcowboy at gm dot com:)

Attachments

• 20211029_075613.jpg
    20211029_075613.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 5
OP
TheGoschMan

TheGoschMan

Dec 29, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
Hello Gosch Man :) Wow the 191 AHC, I was with the 180th ASHC in Tuy Hoa Phu Hiep:) worked out of Pleiku during the 1970 spring campaign into Cambodia:) I was 68F20 but when short of crew i did gunner or crew chief job (never got the flight pay they promised i would get when i got home:))) thats ok i got HOME:) then went to Hunter AAF Savannah, Ga. Glad you liked my post about my Moses:) yes he "poops" on command :) stay in touch as i am the azflcowboy at gm dot com:)
I was in An Khe when I 1st arrived, couple months later wound up in Can Tho.
Did you hand feed Moses? If so, how old was he when you finally stopped? Cosmo is somewhere near 4/5 months old and squawks like crazy for his feeding. He gets chop/fruit/some pellets every day. Just wondering!

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
I was in An Khe when I 1st arrived, couple months later wound up in Can Tho.
Did you hand feed Moses? If so, how old was he when you finally stopped? Cosmo is somewhere near 4/5 months old and squawks like crazy for his feeding. He gets chop/fruit/some pellets every day. Just wondering!
Hello Gosch. i have been to AnKhe many times actually we hard landed between Pleiku and AnKhe but was able to get the hook up in the air:) I got Moses when he was already on a diet of pellets. I switched to a 60% fresh Ecky approved veggies and 20% fresh fruits and 20% Tops Pellets, he seems well and weighs in about 14 ounces. Good bright green feathers and he goes into the shower with me once a week, he loves it and his feathers look great after we started showering together, he appears to love it and often will be like me and sing in the shower or just "Wow" Wee"
Moses has been with us for 4 years we got him at about 6 months old from a breeder who passed away and family sold him to us for $500 bucks. This past year at age 3 he started to squawks when the door bell rings or if my wife or I shout from room to another, it appears he does not like surprise noise or anyone shouting , we never argue or use bad language so he is a sweet guy with over 50 words often in sentences:)
Recently he got Polyuria (watery stools) we became very worried took him to our 3rd Avaian Vet and left him there for several hours. She said he does not have Polyuria he just drinks alot. I do not think she knows Solomon Island Eclectus so we are looking for a 4th avian vet in the north central florida area near Ocala and Crystal River. Alot of horse vets but not avian vets. I think they think eckys are like the amazon and african parrots :(
The best advice i have from Parrot Forum is that Moses is hormonal as he has been humpingthe welcome mat at the front door more often (sometimes 3 times a day) the post i read siad that they sometimes have enlarged testicles and drink water to relief any discomfort, (this is new to me) i researched it and of course they have no penis but do have internal testicles...hmmmm
stay well brother I got appointments with community care from the VA for shoulder and knee repair...stay well and God Bless

Attachments

• IMG_2023-11-28-13-13-53-105.jpg
    IMG_2023-11-28-13-13-53-105.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 3

Most Reactions

Latest posts