Transient Ischemic Attacks in Parrots

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
If only there were a way to dissolve medicine in a chili �� ... come to think of it, every parrot I know loves spicy flavors. Would parrots readily consume meds if mixed with, say, cayenne powder?

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Perhaps a mini clip. Just whatever it takes do he can still fly just not as far or as fast.
When I did my baby tiels it was half of 4 flight feathers

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Sidechick... I'm keeping a list of such suggestions, in the event that the magic of almond butter dissipates... I do think it will see us through, though. The Rb thinks he hit the jackpot and went to heaven with a J-Lo look-alike and a stack of peppers. He only got almond butter on special occasions, and now it's twice a day!

Grace... that's a good idea... I'll run it by the vet in two weeks during our next blood-check. I would need his help in doing it, anyway.

jugoya... I don't know how to keep that stuff clean. I did try some bubble-wrap, which is cheap by the roll. Took the Rb about ten seconds to learn how to pop them! About that time I got nervous about toxic possibilities and yanked it. I did lower all the perches, and that has worked...

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I know someone with an Amazon that lost 2 of it's toes and has trouble balancing on his perches, and as a result he often falls off the perches onto the cage floor. So what they did, in-addition to lowering his perches, was bought a bunch of pillows that are the extra-fluffy, extra-soft kind, lined the entire cage-floor with them, and they just put newspapers on top of the pillows...They change the newspapers daily, and wash the pillows as-needed, but they stay pretty clean this way...

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The ol' Rb seems to be doing well. The vet said he thought the events were seizures, and a blood panel showed a bitof kidney trouble and high red blood cell, count, both of which resulting from hypoxia (old bird stuff). So he's on Vasotec now, kidneys back to normal and red blood cells about the same, but it's only been a few weks, and we upped the dose, and no more seizures of which I'm aware.
So... I guess it's okay. I always said I wanted to outlive him, so here's my chance to step up and do whatever is involved in that. Thanks for asking, Grace.

Ellen, that sounds do-able. Thank you! I guess if I see one more seizure, 'll try exactly that. The vet said the seizures may indeed just go away, if the Vasotec is successful. I was also thinking of a micro-fleece blanket, folded. They're very cush-y. I could get 2-3 and switch 'em out, maybe not even needing papers? We'll see.

Thanks, y'all, you've really been wonderful to me.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
Soft dog bed and then you cover it with newspaper easy peasy xD
Or get a cover for it that you wash once every couple of days.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Another great idea! Okay, I'm filing all these notions away!
Also, browsing for a more shallow cage... it's not like he's in it that much!
Another significant danger would be a seizure when he's out and about. Our house is already as parrot-proof as possible, plus he's never out of my sight when loose.
I guess all I can do is my best.
Thanks, folks.
Dang BIRD.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Pillows and fold a sheet over the top to wash?

Or get a piece of egg crate foam and make a cover for it you could throw the whole thing in the wash.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I think I like sheets better than the micro-fleece!
I'm gonna be able to write a book on cage padding strategies.
What shall I call it?
The Good, the Padded, and the Ugly?
The Pillow Games?
The Cushions of Narnia?

I'll stop now.

I'll think on it.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I guess all I can do is my best.

And that’s it in an eggshell, friend. We can only do our best, and you do that for RB with consummate skill. He knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thanks, folksies.

Major Tom, that does seem right. I like your 2C.

Inger, that's sweet. I like that. At the vet's, or anytime he's nervous, or when he was coming out of his seizure, his beady little eyeballs search for me. All he wants is to look at me, get to me, to be on me. He really does know. :)

Most Reactions