Transportation (lovebird)

Pureblood

Feb 6, 2017
Media
Parrots
3 lovebirds (Max, Zloba & Zora)
(Pika, lovebird, RIP 11/2017) & 2 budgies (Picek & Njofra)
Hey guys,

so I need to take one of my lovebirds to the vet (we don't have an avian vet but at the veterinary university they do have some sort of an ambulance for birds, so we'll see...) BUT... she's not hand-trained. Long story of why she isn't, but they cannot be caught, do not come to the hand, they run away from it. I am working on it, but since she needs to go this week or next week the farthest, I won't have time for that.

Anyhow, I need your help regarding transportation. Which is the best way to get her to the vet's office without unneccessary stress? How to transport? In a smaller cage or in a dark box with holes? I have no idea!
She has always lived with her sibling and never been separated so I don't know how they would both cope with that. I find it silly to take them both? All tips and experiences are welcome!

I am so, so, SO worried that because she's not used to handling that the vets will have a problem with her :(

I e-mailed the vet and asked of the situation and also of transport tips, but stretching out to here to ask for yours! Thank you! :yellow1:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I don't suggest a box because sometimes the unexpected happens and you might be at the vet much longer than anticipated, particularly if someone else comes in with an emergency. So a small cage or carrier is best. Cardboard is too easy to chew.

I personally suggest taking both. Any time one bird is ill there is a good chance their cage mate is as well. If you bring them both and the vet feels the other bird is at risk, you don't have to go to all the hassle of bringing the other bird in separately .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Pureblood

Feb 6, 2017
Media
Parrots
Thanks :) She's losing feathers under her wing and yesterday there was blood so it's a condition just she is in, but given that they are always paired they should go both...

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Yes; it could be parasites or fungus, etc and you might be able to catch it early in the other bird.

OP
P

Pureblood

Feb 6, 2017
Media
Parrots
Yes; it could be parasites or fungus, etc and you might be able to catch it early in the other bird.

Thank you!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
No problem; let us know how it goes!

Most Reactions

Latest posts