Traveling to South America with Lukah!

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Lukah- Sun Conure, 10 months old!
Hi guys,

I'm planning on taking a road trip from canada to chile in about a year. I was wondering if anyone knows what the rules are for crossing borders with pets- specifically international borders?

Thanks!

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
You won't be able to take him to Chile for vacation. He'd have to go through weeks long (or longer) quarantine and customs at every border. So unless you are going forever, he should stay home.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hi guys,

I'm planning on taking a road trip from canada to chile in about a year. I was wondering if anyone knows what the rules are for crossing borders with pets- specifically international borders?

Thanks!

Check with the Canadian Consulate, and the Chillian consulate.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think it would be best to look into boarding options. If you are taking a ROAD TRIP, you'll be crossing multiple international boarders, and would have to comply with import requirements of each. If you are flying, you would have to contact both Canada and Chile to see what the requirements to bring him into Chile would be on a temporary basis, and then what Canada requires to bring him back in.

ACE209

Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
Sherlock - Blue crowned conure 10yr,
Sunny - yellow sided GCC 3yr,
Echo - yellow sided GCC 2yr,
Kiwi - Blue fronted amazon 15yr
RIP Nate - the best cockatiel
Agreed, I believe there is a quarantine time period to enter a different country. If you did decide to travel with him it would be incredibly stressful for your bird. There is also the chance lukah could pick something up. Birds immune system is harshly affected by stress, stress caused by temperature changes, surroundings etc. It would be in his best interest to stay home or boarding facility.

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
i'm currently in the process of moving from Canada to the UK. Let me give you some advice: do not go on vacation internationally with your bird.

Conures, like all parrots, are classified under Appendix II of the CITES exotic animals list. This basaically classifies them as extremely endangered and international movement is restricted.

Your bird would not only need LOTS of paperwork and permits, some of which cost hundreds of dollard, s/he would also need vet visits and quarantine in every country before you cross the border (except leaving Canada, although Canada requires a minimum month long quarantine on return to Canada).

You have to pay those vet fees, and you also have to pay the quarantine fees.It's very expensive.

It's also very stressful for your bird. They are sensitive animals and need a structured routine. Think of all the stressful factors this entails for your bird:
-
being kept in a car for extended periods of time (akin to being caged for all that time, since s/he won't have a playstand/ toys/ ability to stretch her wings)
-repeated vet visits, examinations, sometimes bloodwork
-changing temperatures all the time as you're driving through different lattitudes
-changing timezones which results in a schedule being thrown off
-driving down through the longitudes therefore entering zones where the time of sunset/ sunrise is constantly changing much more rapidly than normal for a bird
-quarantine periods- enough said

now consider how stressful this will be for you:
- constantly having to worry about finding accomodations that will let you bring a bird in the room
- worrying about your bird getting sick (likely, with all the change to routine) and having to leave her behind at the border because she can't pass a vet check. The usual policy here, especially in south american countries where conures are native, is 'don't worry we will find a home for her' before she finds herself launched out of an open window
- the cost- it will cost you an absolute fortune

trust me- it's not worth it. Find a reliable foster home, bording aviary or friend or family member to look after her if you have to go.

Sambamama

Dec 29, 2012
T
Parrots
M
I am looking at moving internationally, and the country I am going to has such odd and unreliable import avian rules that if (on a given day we arrive with fids) that they could be accepted with all previously completed paperwork for import/vet history OR rejected and sent back to USA. In the absence of a return to USA possibility they will be euthanized! Are you prepared for that for each country that you will drive through?

Most Reactions