Travelling to Canada, from US with my parrot.

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
Hi Everyone,

I have come for some advice, or knowledge if you have done the process. I have a potential job/business opportunity in Canada. I live in the US currently. The job would be during the summers, june-september.

I want to bring angel with (african Grey) and am wonder if anyone has been through the process of leaving the states into canada with their parrot, and being able to return.

Any tips, advice, guidance would be appreciated. From what i have read canada will allow her to come as my pet, but i havent read about making sure she can get back through. In my experience getting back into the US they are a lot more stringent.

Thanks

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, you need to get the job!

Once you have agreed to the Terms of Employment, your new employer will have to apply for you to enter Canada and Work there (Work Permit or like wording). Your Terms of Employment will include the period of time that you will be Working in Canada. You have to have that Permit from the Canada government before you can enter Canada to Work. Assure that you have all related documents with you at the time you enter Canada and return to the USA.

NOTE: Your Employer is fully response-able in Obtaining and Paying for the Work Permit! If they want you to do part or all of it - DO NOT TAKE THAT JOB!! Also, the paperwork can take anywhere from a couple of Weeks to a couple of Months. It all depends on the relationship that Employer has with the Canadian Government especially regarding Importing Workers!!!

With the Permit, you will be allowed to bring those things you need to Work. If you require personal equipment (Work Tools or equipment) make it a point to include those items in the Terms of Employment. This will allow easier access into Canada, expect to be a Boarder for Several Hours. Please assure that you have 'all' your documentation with you!!!!

Now, regarding your Parrot.

Understand that from time to time, Nations will choose to not allow specific species to enter. At present, I am not aware of any 'Pet' parrots that are not allowed from the USA. But, you must read the Covering Documents from the Canadian Government and apply based on your specific Parrot.

If you have a mid to larger Parrot have it Micro Chipped and the Chip Registered. If you have a small Parrot, I would recommend that you have an open band placed on its leg. NOTE: the band should have a Date of Birth on it as a minimum. Neither is required!!! But, by having the information on your Vet's Documents will save you lots of time crossing the boarder, i.e. there is a physical link between your Parrot and the Documents. Assure that the Vet's documents clearly refer to the type of ID and its numbers.

It is also recommended and likely required that your 'AVIAN VET' complete a full Vet examination of your Parrot including a full spectrum blood test with in a very specific period before you enter Canada. There will be specific forms that the Canadian Government will want to allow your Parrot into Canada. I would recommended that you create and have with you, your Parrot's Vet Records, as far back as possible. This provides a time line on ownership of your Parrot and proofs that it is a Pet. If you have been lacking regarding visiting your Avian Vet, it could bite you! If true, you will need to find your purchase paperwork and have that also! Be prepared to address why you need your Pet for such a short Work Visit! Standing there blindsided is only going to slow things down!

NOTE: The Canadian Government really does not want you to enter their Country to Work! After all you are stealing Work from a Canadian. So, having 'all' and more documents will provide them less reason to refuse you're entry! Show full and proper respect at the Boarder (both ways)! Understand that Boarder Officials are getting paid, so they are in no rush to 'process you quickly.' If you have a short fuse, keep it in check!!!!

Since you will be in Canada for over three months, you will likely need to have a Certified Canada Vet (likely Avian) complete like documents for bring your Parrot back to the USA. Having all of the above including the Canadian Vet's documents will easy your entry back into the USA.

Trafficing Parrots across Boarders is what having all of this Paperwork proves that you are not doing!!!!

Get crazy about doing all of the Paperwork and it will save you a lot of grieve at the Board Crossings (both ways)!

Do You Have A USA Pass Port? You Will Need One!

Last edited:
OP
J

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots

Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate the response!

I do have a passport yes. I have been looking up some of the regulations and paperwork now, finding some good resources.

My main concern is getting her back into the US, i am not sure if i have to have a Vet examine her in Canada? i do not know if there is an avian vet in the area i will be in.

Also to clarify, it is not a normal "job" as in i will be working for a company. I will possibly be acquiring some property there, and starting a business. So i am not sure if i will need the work permit or not, but thank you for mentioning that i will look into it! didn't think of that.

Thank you for the response

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Contact the Cities that you will be considering to start your business in and what regulations that is involved in the type of business you will be starting.

You will not need a Work Permit, but may need to acknowledge to the Canadian Government that you are planning an extended visit.

While contacting the different Cities, ask regarding Vet Care and contacts for such serviced in their City. Assure that you ask above Avian Vet Care!

Best of Luck on your Travels!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
NOTE: The Canadian Government really does not want you to enter their Country to Work! After all you are stealing Work from a Canadian. So, having 'all' and more documents will provide them less reason to refuse you're entry! Show full and proper respect at the Boarder (both ways)! Understand that Boarder Officials are getting paid, so they are in no rush to 'process you quickly.' If you have a short fuse, keep it in check!!!!

This part is not true in all provinces, as here in our area there are way more jobs than there are people to work them. People come in on work visas all the time, even to work in fast food.

You also may not have a long wait at the border, as when I moved here with a U-haul full of stuff, 5 cats, an iguana and a snake, it took me 5 minutes to clear customs:)

I was moving, so what I had to do may not apply at all, but I had to have a Fish and Wildlife officer meet me at the US border to check out my animals to make sure they were not indigenous and could leave the US. They all checked out, but he had to investigate the dream catcher hanging from my rear view mirror on my car we were towing. He said he wanted to make sure it didn't have eagle feathers, and it was fine as it was chicken. Kind of took some of the mystery out of it for me, though..lol

Which province are you thinking of? I may know someone there who knows a good avian vet.
Good luck on your endeavor!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have been dealing with Ontario boarders for over 30 years and they can be sweet and quick, to real pains in the rear, whether entering from MN, MI or NY. You never knew whether the crossing would be quick or not so much.

Over the last fifteen years, Ontario has lost tons of businesses into the US and Mexico, and since Mexico is not next door guess who catches the rub. The reason, exceedingly high electrical energy costs because they shutdown all their Coal Fired Power Plants and now have to buy electricity!

The organization that I worked for had install /repair staff into Ontario at least three weeks per quarter. Getting Canadian companies to apply for the Work Permits is always a headache because of the high costs of the fees. Even with the Work Permits, we would commonly have staff sitting at the board for 3 to 6 hours.

I was head of North America Sales and was in and out of Ontario at least every other month. Even as Sales Management, getting delayed at the board was common. The reason, I might know something about our product and work on it when I was in Ontario, hence additional questions and inspection of the 'car' for 'work tools'.

Sorry, that I painted a wide strip that covered all of Canada and not just Ontario! I am happy to hear that other parts of Canada are not like the Ontario boards.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
No worries, we are in Alberta, and it seems to be much different here:)

OP
J

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots

This part is not true in all provinces, as here in our area there are way more jobs than there are people to work them. People come in on work visas all the time, even to work in fast food.

You also may not have a long wait at the border, as when I moved here with a U-haul full of stuff, 5 cats, an iguana and a snake, it took me 5 minutes to clear customs:)

I was moving, so what I had to do may not apply at all, but I had to have a Fish and Wildlife officer meet me at the US border to check out my animals to make sure they were not indigenous and could leave the US. They all checked out, but he had to investigate the dream catcher hanging from my rear view mirror on my car we were towing. He said he wanted to make sure it didn't have eagle feathers, and it was fine as it was chicken. Kind of took some of the mystery out of it for me, though..lol

Which province are you thinking of? I may know someone there who knows a good avian vet.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have gotten a lot of good tips i am looking into bird and not bird related! Like i did not think i would need a different visa other then my normal passport, but it makes since they would want to know why im staying so long.

It would be in Quebec province. One thing that has been interesting, many of the rules and regulations i have been looking into (for the business specifically) is all in french! :p

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have gotten a lot of good tips i am looking into bird and not bird related! Like i did not think i would need a different visa other then my normal passport, but it makes since they would want to know why im staying so long.

It would be in Quebec province. One thing that has been interesting, many of the rules and regulations i have been looking into (for the business specifically) is all in french! :p

Quebec is very different from any of the other provinces. You will be much more successful if you know how to speak and read French. Quebec is a French first province and English is a second language. Most, but not all know English. I would spend the majority of your time on Quebec requirements since they are different than the other provinces.

Best of Luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts