Troubling behavior

GT347SC

Nov 17, 2012
Hi all. I have a Quaker that I have had now for about 7-8 years. I am the only human he has ever had. All has been good up until last week. I noticed some strange behavior such as putting himself to bed (he never does this) one night. I didn't really think much of it, just covered him and went to bed myself. The next morning he was nit in his cubbyhole as he would normally be. When I reached in to get him he was very unsure with his steps. Didn't balance well on my finger and almost fell off. After watching him for a while he tried to fly and just flew straight into a wall. At this point I knew something was wrong. We went to the vet but they couldn't give much insight. It is now a week later and he has gotten more sure footed and all his personality back but still can't fly right. Its better but not he has a hard time with landing.

It almost seems at times he has a sight issue. If I have a glass of water and offer him some he doesn't go right to it every time. He will almost feel around with his beak to find the glass. He knows its there but can't seem to get there. His last flight was about 15 feet across the room from me to his cage. He had to be able to see the cage to know where to go but he just kinda bounced off the perch on the outside and landed on the floor. :( This is tearing my heart out to see my angel not able to function normally. Can anyone here help shed any light on what may be going on?

Another thing..he has never liked my daughter. Always bites her. Since this started he is loving and caring to her. Not that I'm complaining but its another strange behavior.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
These things do sound like maybe an eye sight problem, but I can't be sure. :( May I ask, was the vet a certified avian vet? Usually a regular vet doesn't know much about birds and can oversee things that an avian vet would be able to solve.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Did she run any testing? Does she think it could be an eye problem? I am not really able to shed much light on this matter then, but it does sound a little worrying. :( Maybe someone else will have some better answers for you.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
You say you've had him 7-8 years - Has he spent his whole life with you, or is he older than that? Trying to get idea of his actual age.

It does sound like a vision problem, which could be on one side vs. the other (see if you can figure it out). It also sounds like it could be some kind of equilibrium problem based on something unrelated to the eyes.

How does he do if you have him on your finger and you walk around or move him around on the finger like up and down etc. Does he hold on okay and seem fine?

1. Me, I would definitely go for a second opinion to another A-vet.
2. If you have a bird shop that is highly reputable with lots and lots of parrots, I would go there and talk to them - they have often seen and heard it all over the years.
3. If he doesn't show improvement with the flying that results in falling, I would discuss clipping his wings with the a-vet so that the gliding can still happen, but he won't be flying into walls.
4. Consider lowering his perches or putting a towel on bottom under high perches in case he falls, if is showing to be unsteady footing for now.

Is he eating and drinking fine -- did a-vet do bloodwork and cultures looking for imbalance, dehydration, infection, deficiency, etc.

OP
GT347SC

GT347SC

Nov 17, 2012
I have had him all his life..except time after hatching. I wondered about eating at first but he does now for sure.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Also, see how he does in a brighter light situation, or out in full sunshine.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Is he more coordinated on one side than the other? If so, it might be a stroke.

What about an ear infection? That can throw of equilibrium a lot.

I'd get a second opinion for sure, because something is definitely different.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I would strongly suggest getting this bird to the Vet. There is something wrong & i really don't think it's his sight. I think the bird is showing early signs of illness. Don't take to long because if iam right you need emergency help.

From the description he is in a weaken state & is probably not eating.

OP
GT347SC

GT347SC

Nov 17, 2012
Things seem to be getting better. Short flights are doing good..say from couch to couch with a large surface to land on. Small landing areas are hit and miss.

With that said he was vomiting this morning. Kind of a white foamy substance. He is eating just as he always has. Of course being Sunday there is nowhere to take him today. We will see what's going on tomorrow. The last vet did give me a antibiotic to give him (which we have) but I can't say it has helped.

I wondered about a stroke but I really don't think that's the case.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Without tests, an antibiotic could be more harmful than good. Please get him to an emergency avian vet, or take him to one ASAP on Monday! And get tests done to determine what's wrong!

If the vet you took him to originally wasn't of much help, then please try and find another a-vet if at all possible!

OP
GT347SC

GT347SC

Nov 17, 2012
Thought I would update this. Angel has adapted to his disability. It's still hard to see him and know this is not his norm but he can fly around the house and 9 out of 10 times hit his mark. He has gotten some spunk back so that helps. He is much more loving..maybe he knows we love him that much more. I'm hopeful for many more years of joy and love

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
What did the vet say the problem was?

OP
GT347SC

GT347SC

Nov 17, 2012
Never found out. They can't find anything.. or so they say..

OP
GT347SC

GT347SC

Nov 17, 2012
We thought things were getting better. We were wrong. He just passed 15 min ago:'(

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. :(

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
We thought things were getting better. We were wrong. He just passed 15 min ago:'(

Oh... NO... That's just such a shock, but to mention how you must be feeling...

I am so sorry for your loss...

Are you going to get a necropsy done? The vet must have missed something...

OP
GT347SC

GT347SC

Nov 17, 2012
No. He has already been laid to rest. A late night funeral in the back yard once everyone was home.

I do still have Bobbie and may get a blue Quaker in the future but of course at this point I can't imagine "replacing" angel.

Most Reactions

Latest posts