Trying to choose between a Dusky and a Sun

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
Crimson conures, Roseifrons, Sun, Sunday and cockatiels.
Does anyone have experience with both a Dusky and a Sun that can help us decide?

Personality is the most important which is why the humble Dusky has caught our eye. We'd go for the bird that likes all family members, is sweet and cuddley.

I know the sun can be loud. I've watched vids on YouTube and the sun still doesn't compare to our amazon who whistles for a dog (not mine, but the previous owners) rings like a phone and beeps like my dryer. I figure if we can handle his racket we can handle a sun. I imagine the amazon would soon be screeching like a conure though!

Any thoughts or preferences on these 2 conures?

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
I guess my recommendation is a tad bit biased, seeing that I've only owned duskies!

Our duskies are packed full of personality! There are six members of my family, and each one of my babies will go to every single member of our household without any problems whatsoever.

One of my duskies loves to cuddle against my neck while I'm watching TV. He'll lick my neck and face, and gently tug on my ear lobes. The other one performs for us non stop! She's very out going and loves to imitate our vocal calls. She absolutely adores doing clicker training tricks: fetch, drop, bring, etc. etc. Oh, what she'll do for a sunflower seed!!

Just my two feathers!:20:

bubbaanddaisy

Nov 15, 2012
Parrots
2 green cheeks 1 hybrid one mutation
I've seen both of I had to choose i would choose a sun conure their both active but I see sun conures being more active and I actually like my conures being loud very loud it's a funny thing to me so I would go for sun conure but if you don't want a very loud bird go for the dusky but they can get Loud but they won't top a sun conure

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I would also say Dusky:)

A Friend of mine has a Sun Conure and I can only describe the noise as ear piercing :11: My Amazon can scream for England, but, to me, it is very mild in comparison with the SC.

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
Suns can develop bad jealousy issues. Every dusky I've met has had the same gentle disposition and are super laid back and cuddly carefree birds. I think sun conures are over hyped.

OP
C

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
Yeah, I was kind of leaning toward a dusky :)

The colors on the sun are spectacular, but the personality is what forms the bond as far as I'm concerned.

Even though we love all our birds (for different reasons) our crimson bellied is the most versatile and therefore our favorite. She's the one who's funny, playful, sweet to everyone and affectionate. She can be a little stinker, but that just makes her funnier. I think a dusky would have similar qualities to the ones we love in the crimson bellied. I just didn't know how the sun compared to the dusky personality wise. If they were similar we'd live with the noise, otherwise...probably a dusky is a good choice. :)

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
Suns can develop bad jealousy issues. Every dusky I've met has had the same gentle disposition and are super laid back and cuddly carefree birds. I think sun conures are over hyped.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
I went to a zoo at the weekend and they had a walkthrough aviary filled with all sorts of birds. This Sun landed on two of my Son's and my Husband. They all fell in love with it. My 4 yr old kept calling it his best friend birdie.
291734_10151168336785852_740981102_n.jpg

That is the only contact I have had with any conure but now my husband is begging me to get one and I am the bird lover in the house. LOL

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I've got both a dusky and a sun. They are both very loud. The dusky is maybe one level below my sun. They both scream at the top of their lungs when they're not with me. They are both total love bugs and love to be out of their cages and with me. They have a lot of the same traits. The only difference between the two of them is the dusky is the aggressor when it come to them fighting and the sun is more mellowed out and will fly away before attacking her back. My dusky is very protective of me. She will not let my sun near me if she's on my chest. I'd suggest going and spending time with both of them before deciding which you want. Kayak (dusky) is no where near as flashy and bright as Carlisle (sun) but she is still pretty to look at. I think it depends on the bird to be totally honest. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask :)

OP
C

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
I've read the duskies (and the sun) are sweeter and more cuddly than GCCs? Do you feel that's true? We have an opportunity to buy a baby pineapple from a local breeder, but I was thinking of passing and searching for a Dusky. Between the Dusky and pineapple, which would you choose?

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
Well both birds are good choices. I would go with the Sun because can you find a more beautiful conure? Duskys are also good looking and Pineapples are my favorite mutation. So you got some tough choices to make but you can not go wrong with any of them. Peace be to you.

bubbaanddaisy

Nov 15, 2012
Parrots
2 green cheeks 1 hybrid one mutation
I've read the duskies (and the sun) are sweeter and more cuddly than GCCs? Do you feel that's true? We have an opportunity to buy a baby pineapple from a local breeder, but I was thinking of passing and searching for a Dusky. Between the Dusky and pineapple, which would you choose?

i have 2 green cheeks and they are cuddly and exciting and surprisingly not loud i think it depends on the bird itself

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
My Dusky and Sun are both very cuddly and my ex's GCC is a cuddle bug as well. I think it all depends on the bird. Suns are the largest of the 3, Duskies are a bit smaller, and GCCs the smallest. Of course there're always exceptions to this and somebody can end up with a very large GCC or a very small Sun. As far as cuddly-ness, my Sun and Dusky are both quite cuddly but in their own ways. Carlisle (sun) loves to be down my shirt peaking his head out of the top. Kayak (dusky) likes to cling to the collar of my shirt right under my chin and always be snuggled under my chin no matter what I'm doing. They're both shoulder riders but prefer not to sit on my shoulder unless we're moving to another room.

Most Reactions