Trying to decide what kind of conure to get

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Hi there, i'm looking into getting a conure to play with my parrotlet(but mostly me ;) ) and i'm wondering what kind of conure ouf of these choices: nanday conure, sun conure, green cheecked conure, and jenday conure, which one would be the best pick. I know that green cheecked conures out of those 4 are the quietest. I'm looking for a type that is very playful, fun, has hilarious characteristics. Isn't very loud, and is good around other pets. Thanks guys i'd appriciate it! Jonathan:blue2:

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Hi there and welcome to the forum! You have definitely come to the right place :) A wonderful community with tons of info, advice and "Bird-crazy" people.

As for what type of conure here is a link with the different species information Conures: Species information and Photos Always remember that you can not base from species alone, every bird is an individual :)

Good luck! ;)

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Good question!

Something important that I'd have to tell you would be to stray away from the 'Aratinga' family of conures if you're noise sensitive. Those birds are more closely related to the Macaws, therefore making them generally noisier. They still definitely fit in the 'playful' category.

If you want something quieter, I would suggest conures in the Pyrrhura family (Green-cheeks, Maroon-bellied, etc.) They are also a bunch of fun.

missylynn

Feb 23, 2011
Parrots
2 GCCs - Jinx & Bonsai
I've owned both sun conure and green-cheek conures, and if you want a quieter one, I would DEFINITELY recommend a green cheek. I loved my little sun, but I swear he made my ears bleed with that LOUD shrill call of his. In my experience, both types have the same amount of playfulness, crazy clowny antics, and cuddliness, but the green cheeks are definately quieter. Even the two of mine together don't even come close the the holler of my one sun, even at their very loudest. Both species make excellent pets and are a hoot to watch and play with, but if noise is a concern, the Sun or its close relatives the Jenday and Nanday would not be a good match.

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
I would recommend Green Cheek or Dusky Headed.. They are the ones that are not too noisy in the Conure familia..

Pim

Aug 19, 2011
Nanday, Sun and Jenday are very similar, in my opinion and experience Nandays are the loudest! All 3 are extremely playful, affectionate and cuddly. I personally think the Nandays, Suns and Jendays make the best pets IF you can handle the noise. I recommend going to a breeder first and experiencing it so you know if it's too loud for you or not.

I have also had a GCC and they are as sweet as pie, and a lot quieter. They have low, gravel-y voice/screech. They are also very playful, so a perfect a choice if you hate the sun conure screech.

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
Have you considered a cherry headed conure ? a friend of mine has one and he is the most adorable thing I have ever seen and he is so affectionate and sweet and he will get on anyone shoulder and chirp at them . He is a hoot . If someone asked me I would say definately a cherry head .

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
When I was bird shopping EVERY place I went tried to sell me a green-cheek. I was warned at one that they're being over-bred right now (so lots of in-breeding and bad breeding, etc), so be careful where you get them.

bollywoodhollywood

Aug 16, 2011
Hi
I am no expert at at conure but, we bought a pineapple greencheek conure. We saw so many little birds and my husband chose her. Our little girl has been such fun.... She is a bit cheeky...but I think that is normal. We have had her for about 3 months and we love her. Hope it helps.. Also, our 2 bonded cockatiels love her to

KevKaos

Jul 3, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Parrots
3 Quakers, a Green Cheek Conure and a Cherry Headed Conure
We have 3 Quakers, a GCC and a Cherry Headed Conure. Our Cherry and GCC usually get along great, but when there is a flap up, the GCC can really stand up for himself. I only mention this because the size difference between a parrolet and a cherry head would worry me. The Cherry Headed Conure is a great bird, but may not be your best choice. I will say that our GCC may not have the tricks of some of the other birds on this site, but he really has personality.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
Don't forget about black caps!!! My black cap conure Lucy is a BALL. She's smaller than a green cheek by just a little bit, holding steady at 64.5 grams :) She's got a ton of personality, is learning to talk a bit and knows quite a few tricks already! She's only loud in the evenings when i put her to bed, and it's for no more than 5 or 6 minutes; and when I come home from work or class, again for only a few minutes. She's a good little girl :)

EDIT:// and as far as noise goes, I live in an apartment complex where I can hear my neighbor's TV even on a very low volume, and he's never said a word to me about my bird other than she's pretty and cute. lol

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts