Trying to pick out a Play Gym for my Blue & Gold,need some help

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
3 year old Blue and Gold Macaw- Elvis
Hey guys ! Hope all is well. I have my 3 month old Blue & Gold :blue: for a little over a week now. He is smart,very attentive and cuddly :) I would like to say thanks again for all the great help from everyone on this site. So I've been looking for a play gym for about a week now. Its pretty hard and there is so many to choose from . I did find one that I like, and I was wondering what do you guys think about it -? Any help would be great :D

Parrot Tower Premier Macaw Java Perch Bird Stand GREEN - eBay (item 200411994369 end time Aug-26-10 10:08:52 PDT)

birdboy747

Jul 11, 2010
northwest indiana
Parrots
cockatiel
i like it the only thing i could see well in my house would be it sits kinda low to the ground so my dog could have a good chance of getting it, the base looks a little cheap too if i were u id look for one with medal legs. that looks like it could tip kinda easy.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey DAROCK, glad your really making an excellent effort to get everything your Fid needs to be happy and healthy, just a suggestion on the play area, the one your looking at may be a bit high and you might run into the same problem with training as you are with using the cage as a training platform, if you have the room I would suggest one that is longer vs taller, having the bird at about waist height to you would be optimal........

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Hey birdboy ! So metal legs -? Any sites you suggest where I can find some -? Thanks
Hey Bobby, once again thanks for your help as always !
I thought going with a high one would be ok, because I thought they like to go to high places.So go with a longer one,sounds good to me. Any ideas on where I can look for one -? Thanks

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Hey guys ! Any more ideas on a good play gym for Elvis -?
I want to get it by the end of this week, thanks

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey D, the reason I suggested longer instead of higher was one, it gives him more room to spread out, but the main reason is height, when training you want the bird below you, not above you, the stand you were looking at is 54 inches high, add the height of the bird when he's on top and you'll be at about the 6 foot range, you want a bird to "Step Up" not step down or step across from his position on the perch, if he's above you he will have that feeling of superiority, I would look for a stand thats in about the 36 inch from the floor range max, that with the height of the bird added will be below you and traing will be much easier.......

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Do you have a budget? I was browsing Windy City Parrots and found this one. But it's pretty pricy. However, WCP offers a 15% discount for your first order so it would drop the price but still over $300. They also have this one which is much more reasonably priced - but still not cheap, but with the 15% discount, about $165. I'm a huge fan of WCP and I think they're members here.

You're doing so well with Elvis. I love your dedication to him.

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Thanks for your help HRH ! I really like the first one, I know its pricey, but I'm sure it will last a longtime, and he will surely enjoy it. Also, I don't want to get something really high, as Bobby said, so I will be able to train him :)
So do you think that one is my best bet-?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Wow, I get to "spend" someone else's money! J/K.
Honestly, I think it's really presonal preference. Either one would provide a safe fun place for Elvis.

Personally, I would like the first one for a couple reasons -

*as Bobby mentioned, wider instead of taller
*natural wood with texture just always seems to be a better option to me
*wood can be chewed and replaced as necessary

There is one change I would make to this stand...the food/water cups. The kind that screw on from the bottom are kind of a pain. The spill everything when you have to take them off for cleaning and filling; the screws fall out and land in pooh, etc. I prefer this kind. You can drill a hole in the end of one of the "branches" on the play stand, then put a little wood glue in it and screw in the holder for the dish. I promise...it's much easier and cuts down on the cursing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts