trying to tame our new IRN

Jamie

Aug 31, 2010
North West England
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Hi All..

I know I've posted a couple of questions recently and thanks to all who have helped and advised...

We have only had our new addition our family a couple of weeks. He just will not come anywhere near our hands. He did at first with the 'step up' rule/training. However the top of the cage opening bang and he got scared, since then he is nervous and just bites anuyome who approaches him. WE still let him out of his cage everyday and talk to him in a soft tone, to try and gin his trust again. He will take food from out hands but nohing more. A few of you suggested a perch first, but he just keeps biting at that too. I know I may be asking too much from the little fella (he's only 12 weeks old) but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by letting him out each day and trying to gain his trust.

He love peas in the pod, I tried the perch and my hand as a step up in between but he didn't want to know.

Any advice, my girls (15 and 12 years old) really want to handle him again but I've told them to give him time.

I'm trying to post pictures but only just learnt how to post this correctly (thanks Auggies's Dad)

Jamie:rainbow1:

SharonC

May 26, 2010
If he's got a scare from the top of the cage, he's going to need some time. I'd continue letting him out, talking softly, and just being near him. I have no experience with IRNs but I think they can be a little "different" in regards to interacting. Check out this site...You might also read about "clicker training".

Feathered Family Inc. | Parrot Rescue and Adoption, Erie CO

OP
Jamie

Jamie

Aug 31, 2010
North West England
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Thanks Sharon.

My eldest daughter has just managed to get him to step up onto his perch as he wanted his treat (which we gave him).

God bless..

Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix- alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010

mikki- barraband x king parrot
21yrs old
Check out the Indian ring neck forum ( google search ) there are many very experianced people on there who own irns
it may be that he is starting his bluffing stage which is common in irn species
acting as if they are going to bite and sometimes even biting when you try tostep up
be persistant with him
yes you may get bitten but you need to not react to it ( easiersaid than done iknow ) but by carrying on with the instruction to step up he will eventually learn that your word is law and biting you won't change that
also note that this is something all members if house need to do or he will win out over the kids and still attempt to bite them but I would start with the kids only once you have a reliable step up for yourself .
Hope that makes sense

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
Having two ringnecks I might be able to help.. I find that ringnecks are especially food motivated, so finding a treat that the really like is important.. Make sure it isn't something they routinely get in their diet.. Also, it should be small enough so that they eat it quickly and keep their attention on the training. Also, was your bird handfed? Twelve weeks seems a little on the young side to be weaned. Parent fed birds can be trained but it takes a little longer to earn their trust. Once bonded, ringnecks are great birds. Best of luck to you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts