Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
River, our turquoise GCC is going through his first molt. His shoulders are coming in as a much different color then before. Having never had a GCC before, can other owners give me some feedback on this?

He is on Zupreem fruit blend pellets and veggie blend, tops pellets, Nutriberries, and fresh fruits veggies and legumes every day as his diet.

f18e74fe10e0405f483cd46c74abe601.jpg

a3a1c9ac8ff00ab441547e2b3a039458.jpg

0645f6d694413154b1d9f2709fb48835.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What a beauty!!!
Colors can change slightly as tgey change out baby for adult feathers. Dont worry he isnt going to suddenly turn green. He will just have some shadding differences.

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
Not worried as he is a healthy and very active boy. Just curious to see if this was “normal”. He is a very handsome boy and the black on his feathers we’ve been trying to figure out because he didn’t have it when he was little. The owner of the place we got him from says it could be from he and his roommates (a pineapple female and a black capped female) could be over preening or from playing.

Otherwise he’s an awesome little guy who definitely stole our hearts. He’s also the center of his family with the two ladies too. The constantly call for him if we take him out by himself.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
From the pic I could find of adult turquoise they do have green feathers around tge shoulders and throughout.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
From the pic I could find of adult turquoise they do have green feathers around tge shoulders and throughout.

Oops, my English is too weak. I misunderstood. I thought about another thing...

Last edited:
OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
(null)
What is the symptom you are talking about ?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
My turquoise has stayed the same. He is 3+ now. The only difference is that the new feathers are much brighter.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Toots it looks like yours is greenish around the shoulders too in your avatar and your album.

I think Razalku was referring to if some feathers come in yellow, that can be a sign of liver issue

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
HiYa. In general, parrot feathers can change from their initial to their final adult coloring, both in hue and shade and even location. My own Salty used to have an iridescent blue coloring on his upper breast, just a band of it, quite noticeable at first. 6 or so molts from then has seen the blue band mostly disappear. Same for the yellow on his head from his nares to around his eye; was a small amount at first and has changed to going almost all the way around his eye. Check out progressive pics of double yellow head amazons; their coloring eventually takes over their heads entire ( giving the species it name) . I wouldn't get too twisted up about slight changes, unless it changes because one of the noted changes due to dietary lacks.

He is really striking with either color - a handsome boy to be sure.

Most Reactions