Two Birds?

jnesbitt82

Feb 19, 2014
I have been waiting until my baby is weened before bringing her home but I am fortunate enough to be able to visit the breeder and my GC. After some time and thought, my wife decided that she would like one of the babies from the same clutch. My baby is a Pineapple GC and hers is a Yellow-Sided. They are both sex-linked and female. What potential problems could we face having two GC? I have two large cages if it is necessary to keep them separate. What is your experiences with this?

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
My only experience with raising two baby birds together are my two cockatiels. I hand raised them together and they have been caged together all their life. They are much more interested in being with each other then with me. My green cheeks were both under a year when I got them so I guess they count too. I cage my green cheeks separately but in a stacker so they can talk to each other but not see each other. They have play time together and like hanging out with each other but my female green cheek will often chose to hang out with me over my male green cheek. While my male green cheek about 98 precent of the time prefer hanging out with my female green cheek over me.

I think if you have them in separate cages where they can talk but not necessarily see each other might be the best to stop them from bonding any further to each other. Out time with each other should be alright but you will want to have out times where the birds are bonding with you guys instead of with each other. So maybe three different play times. One individual for each and one where they are out together.

Its hard to say how it will necessarily go! Have you thought about the fact you are going to have birdie hormones during maturity going crazy around the same time? Training before hand will help you through it but two will be twice the work.

When will your baby be weaned and ready to come home?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The only potential problem I can see you facing if they were clutch mates is bonding to one another. Since I hand raise my chicks, I don't have problem with them bonding to one another since they take on to me pretty good. But sometimes that can happen. At the same time if you keep socializing with them, they would both be fine anyways.

Most Reactions

Latest posts