Two concerns for this novice

Transylvania

Feb 7, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
0.1 Senegal parrot "Ripley"
Hey guys! Future birb owner here. I've never owned birds before, but I have extensive experience with other exotic animals and I make diets and help take care of all kinds of birds at work. I've been doing a lot of research on Senegal parrots (mostly lurking on forums), but I'm starting to ask my own questions now.

I've decided on a Senegal since they seem to work well with my single, working, apartment-living lifestyle. But I have two main concerns that are holding me back from committing to getting one. Luckily, money isn't one of those issues - I spend very little on myself, and even if I were to get low on cash, I'm very lucky to have parents who are always willing to help out with living expenses. Anyway, my two concerns are:

1. My work schedule. I work 45 hours a week, 6 days a week, at two part-time jobs. Each of my shifts is 5-6 hours, and two days out of the week I work both jobs with a 4-hour gap between the shifts. Do you think this leaves sufficient time for training and providing a stimulating and enriching life for a Senegal? I know that parrots like a consistent schedule, so I'm just worried that mine might be too weird. Here's when I work:
M: 10am-4pm
Tu: DAY OFF
W: 7am-12:30pm
Th: 7am-12:30pm, 5pm-10pm
F: 7am-12:30pm OR 11am-4:30pm (switches each week)
Sa: 7am-12:30pm, 5pm-11pm
Su: 11am-4:30pm

2. My cat. She's almost 2 years old but is still pretty hyperactive and pouncy. She always tried to swat at my reptiles when I had them out near her, so for a while now I've resorted to putting her in a separate room when I'm handling them. I'm very adamant about having no inter-species interactions amongst my pets in my apartment, both for the health and safety of the animals and also because I see no point to it. However, I also know that mistakes can happen: the bird turns out to be an escape artist, or the cat swats at the bird through a gap in the bars, or a door doesn't shut completely and the cat gets loose, or someone is pet-sitting and makes a mistake. All kinds of frightening scenarios keep playing out in my head, and I'm just worried that, despite how responsible I think I am, something terrible might happen. I know the cat/bird debate is a hot one among hobbyists, and believe me, I've read the arguments from both sides. I don't even know what exactly I'm asking here LOL, I guess I just need to voice my concern.

I suppose my main question is: How will I know I'm READY?

appu1489

Mar 27, 2016
Maldives
Parrots
2 Moluccan cockatoos.
1 Umbrella cockatoo
1 Blue fronted amazon
if you want something badly you'd pretty much find time for it. but looking at the work schedule i guess it'd best if you got a pair with lots of toys in their cage. And whenever you're home you must be hanging out with the birds and they will adjust to it :) having a parrot will change your life. You will know how much happier life is :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Have you heard the phrase: SENNIE-TUDE?!

"Here kitty, kitty! [insert evil bird laugh here.]"

You just have to keep them separated and discourage curiousity.

But most Sennie's I've met would have their own "special way" of dealing with cats. And most cats want nothing to do with them after that...

Actually, a territorial sennie might chase the cat, not the other way around. And a flighted territorial sennie might take up the "sport" of kitty dive bombing.

(Cat version would probably be the "sport" of "birdie badminten"... i.e. "you have to swat the bird while it's in the air or it doesn't count" game.)

I'm just sayin' - that's a two way street.

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
if you want something badly you'd pretty much find time for it. but looking at the work schedule i guess it'd best if you got a pair with lots of toys in their cage. And whenever you're home you must be hanging out with the birds and they will adjust to it :) having a parrot will change your life. You will know how much happier life is :)

A pair of sennies is a terrible idea. Sennies don't like friends. They are much happier all on their own. Of course, there's always an exception, but if you get 2 pois you better plan on two cages and keep them separated.

I think your schedule would be fine if you're committed to spending time with him/her when you are available.

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
I've been in your situation. It is definitely difficult, and there will be days where you feel like you're being neglectful, but in the end your bird will appreciate any time you can give to them. I don't know anything about Senegals, but guaranteed once you fall in love you'll end up wanting to spend all of your free time with them anyway! :D

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Yup, once you work out your routine I think the time thing will be fine :)
I sent my daughter and husband out to get a kitten once, with the theory we could train and bring him up around birds. They came back home with a two year old street cat from a rescue! I was pretty furious - to me he posed a higher risk again as for all we knew, he'd been living off mice and birds.
I ended up incredibly apologetic. Turns out once he settled, he was an absolutely darling cat for our family - and despite the odd catch outside he's never even hinted at an interest at the inside birds, maybe even slightly afraid. I think it's the volume of the bigger two that scared him!
Obviously there are no guarantees, bit it is possible to have cats and birds in the same household :)

If you've done the research, have the funds, and are sure you can commit - you're ready. Don't overthink it. Everyone here will lend advice and opinions when you need them! But seriously, don't fall into the trap of analysis paralysis.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. My sister's cats wanted nothing to do with my birds...

My birds, well, one bird in particular... considered the cats a sport, and HE MESSED WITH THEM, every chance he got...

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
My only experience with cats and birds in the same house? Cats are terrified of birds after one interaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At home: Clover- Alexandrine, Sage- Moustache parakeet
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
You'll know you're ready when you meet a bird you just can't leave/live without :D

But seriously, if you've done your research and are prepared to alter your lifestyle as needed to accommodate the needs of your pets, you'll be fine. No need to overthink it.

As far as your schedule, I see no issues with that. I work crazy hours as well, but all of my critters are acclimated to it and know they will get their before/after work time with me. I just make sure to give them all plenty to keep busy (foraging/toys for the birds, teaching self-entertainment is one of the most valuable things you can do!)

As far as your cat, also very doable as long as proper precautions are in place. I have two dogs, two cats, two birds and a big open top saltwater aquarium and everyone has lived in harmony with no issues. Everyone is separated when we're gone and closely supervised when we're home. But the birds and cats are NEVER out in the same area at the same time.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Funniest bird vs. cat story I know:

When I lived in Cali, my friend had a greenwing named Lucy - natural redhead with a penchant for causing trouble - what else would you name her...

Well, Lucy considered the cat "a sport." And the cat was TERRIFIED of Lucy. (Probably due to years of torment and abuse!)

So, anyway, the cat comes into the room cautiously, looking around, sniffing, checking out the cage... It's empty. She's not here. GOOD! She's gone out for awhile. So, kitty feels it's safe to enter the room...

Once she's safely inside, she get's startled by the door suddenly slamming shut followed by the "evil bird laugh!" Lucy had been hiding behind the door... and pushed it closed trapping Kitty in the room... :eek:

Kitty proceeds to do laps around the room. Halfway up the wall...

After 3-4 laps, she decides to go up the curtains, not really thinking this all the way through. Because, actually a greenwing can climb faster than a cat.

The race up the curtain is on.... Only Lucy is the clear winner... except, once she gets about a body length ahead, she does a 180 and kitty is now climbing IN to an open beak...

And we're back to kitty doing laps around the room, half way up the wall, until someone mercifully opens the door...

And Lucy struts down the curtain, LAUGHING... "My work is done here!"

Is it a character flaw to say we laughed until we cried... Trust me, this one was a visual.

Now, a Sennie is NOT a greenwing, but they still have plenty of 'tude...

OP
Transylvania

Transylvania

Feb 7, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Thanks for the advice!! OMG I laughed so hard at that Lucy story. That's priceless.

I wonder, do birds ever show interest in videos, like if I were to leave, say, Planet Earth or something on before I left for work? I know people do it for their cats sometimes, and I used to do it for my cat, except it seems the only thing she ever wants to watch is Pulp Fiction. :p

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yes! I leave a tv on for my ekkie everyday when I leave for work. Usually cartoons because the flashy colors and high pitched sounds should catch attention. But I mix it up. He perked up one morning when I put tv land on and the Golden Girls theme song started. So you never know.

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
15 years ago we had a baby severe macaw & 2 year old cat. The macaw never showed any fear or hesitation around the cat (he kept trying to play with him). We thought that was odd that he didn't seem to have an instinctual fear of kitties. Then one day kitty tried to sneak up on him & ended up with a lil pierced ear for his troubles (he never played sneak up on birdie again). 6 years ago the macaw moved out with my son & my kitty hasn't been near a bird again until last month.

When I brought Gracie home - he took one look at her & has shown a healthy respect since lol our macaw taught him well. Gracie also has zero fear or hesitation around him.

He learned the lesson a long time ago & even now that he's an old fella he never forgot it.

Our other kitty absolutely showed way too much interest in Gracie at first he leaped on top of her cage (I was very close & decided to see how it played out). Gracie wasn't bothered one bit, eventually she leisurely climbed up to pull on his belly fur lol Ever see a cat go straight up in the air? He doesn't leap unto her cage anymore and glances over his shoulder whenever he passes by her or her cage :)

All that said - I always supervise especially because I don't think Gracie sees them as a threat at all & would hate for instincts to kick in if she had her guard down.

OrnithAudrey

May 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Parrots
At home: Clover- Alexandrine, Sage- Moustache parakeet
At work: Rio- Hyacinth macaw, Major- Major Mitchell's cockatoo, Fruit Loop- Keel-billed toucan, Bayju- Black palm cockatoo
I will say my birds also don't see the dogs or cats as a threat either. I don't worry at all about my dogs and birds being out together when I'm present, but I'm really cautious with my cats because they started life feral on a ranch in the hill country...and while they've never shown aggressive tendencies to the birds, I would never undermine the natural instincts that kept them alive before I got them and could never forgive myself IF something happened.

I'll add my funny "predator/prey" story. I love my dear Lily (the dachshund) so incredibly much and I wouldn't give her up for the world. But quite frankly, she's a dunce. Sage's cage is next to a large window that has a big windowsill about 10 inches from the ground. Lily is a complete scavenger and LOVES the birds because of the goodies they provide her. She learned that the windowsill behind Sage's cage usually has goodies until I clean it, so in her infinite wisdom, she decided to start climbing in the window to scrounge whatever she can. Problem is, she hasn't learned how to simply BACK OUT to get back down. So she'd sit in the window crying and shaking cause Sage was pecking her through the cage bars! LOL She's done this probably a dozen times AND STILL HASN'T LEARNED HER LESSON!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I think a Senegal is a great choice for a busy person who wants a parrot :). They are naturally independent, and will do fine with your schedule.

I'd always take precautions with predator/ prey species. Regardless of whether cats seem afraid or uninterested in the bird. I always think it's better to be overly safe than sorry. Many of us keep birds with dogs, cats, birds who hate other birds, etc. If you're responsible with it you'll be fine. :).

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
Schedule is fine as long as you commit to the time. Toys give them stuff to do. Foraging as well..

For many people it seems the bird just knows they are the right one, not the other way around.

I've never had a cat. I do have 2 English Bulldogs. They are allowed around Loki my mini macaw only under supervision....for the protection of the bullys.

Before we found each other, Loki was fostered by a couple with pit bulls....he knows how to let the dogs know what is ok and what isn't. (Come to think of it, he about has me completely as well)

OP
Transylvania

Transylvania

Feb 7, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
I hope I'm ready. I made this enormous care guide for myself with all the info I need and then some. I also have the expertise from my eight different animal experiences working in various zoos, labs, vet clinic, etc. under my belt. I know I've done a lot more research than most people do, and I've never taken the commitment to a pet lightly. My lizard has been in superb health since I rescued and cured him of his worms and other diseases over 9 years ago. I only give my cat the best of the best in terms of food. And I'm really looking forward to expanding my bird knowledge, since it's the one area in which I'm afraid I'm lacking (though I was an ornithology research assistant for a couple years, but that was with passerines and not very husbandry-focused, and I only started my current job caring for birds and various other animals a couple months ago).

I need to move and get a new laptop first, but after that I guess I'll start buying supplies n such! :D I'm so excited (I may have already picked out names lol).

Last edited:

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
I hope I'm ready. I made this enormous care guide for myself with all the info I need and then some. I also have the expertise from my eight different animal experiences working in various zoos, labs, vet clinic, etc. under my belt. I know I've done a lot more research than most people do, and I've never taken the commitment to a pet lightly. My lizard has been in superb health since I rescued and cured him of his worms and other diseases over 9 years ago. I only give my cat the best of the best in terms of food. And I'm really looking forward to expanding my bird knowledge, since it's the one area in which I'm afraid I'm lacking (though I was an ornithology research assistant for a couple years, but that was with passerines and not very husbandry-focused).

I need to move and get a new laptop first, but after that I guess I'll start buying supplies n such! :D I'm so excited (I may have already picked out names lol).

You will do great. You're probably past the hardest part.......picking the breed you like. I loved every parrot I met.....and did a ton of research, went and hung out at parrot shops for months....and then would change my mind and have to start researching again....argh.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I agree, you're well versed in animal husbandry. You'll do fine. You have some rescues in your area, for sure. Go visit them. Truth be told many of us work your schedule (full time equivalent). I do and I have an eclectus. So you could really have your pick of whatever species you want.

The smartest thing you can do, having never experienced birds before, is go to a rescue and let the bird pick you. You'll find that when you visit, certain birds just naturally gravitate towards you. This often is an indicator of the bond you will have.

Most Reactions