Two incredible bird experiences

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Ok, neither of these are strictly parrot related, but since they're feathered relatives hopeully it's ok to include them here... I'm keen to share them with bird people!

So, I love keeping an eye out for exotic birds when I'm out and about, but living in the UK we're not the greatest when it comes to species diversity, especially when it comes to larger birds, so a trip to the US is always a treat. This summer I had a couple of great experiences, and a camera on hand to capture them.

First up, I've always had a soft spot for pelicans, and usually get to see the odd one visiting my Dad, who lives in Los Altos in California. This year we were looking for a suitable beach for my young niece to build a sandcastle (holiday priorities!) and spot an unusually large number of brown pelicans sailing along the coastline near to where we were planning to stop. I noticed there was a bird colony in the far distance so, whilst the rest of the family busied themselves with sandcastle duties, slipped away with my camera. Honestly I was assuming they'd be gulls or cormorants, but turned out to be all pelicans - I guesstimated around 200 of them, with at least another 100 drifting in later in the afternoon. It was one of the most breathtaking sights I've ever experienced. I managed to get pretty close without any apparent concern on the part of the birds and it felt like a scene out of Jurassic Park being on my own at the foot of a giant, sheer cliff face with dozens of huge, prehistoric looking creatures soaring over my head. I felt really quite humbled by it. These are a few of the pictures:

Pelicantrio.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Pelicansonrock.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Divingpelicanrockbackdrop.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Highflyingpelican.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Divingpelican.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1407700021254.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The second was a week later, up the coast in the San Juan Islands in Washington State. This was supposed to be a long weekend of sailing, scuppered somewhat by the lack of any wind whatsoever, but more than made up for by the wealth of wildlife we were able to see in the less inhabited parts of the island. This fellow was truly magnificent: we stumbled upon him stationed on his rock in the middle of the ocean, scanning the water for signs of marine life and every five minutes or so skimming along the surface, wheeling around and returning to his spot. There were sea lions and sea otters in the water directly beneath, both presumably big enough not to worry about the proximity of a large apex predator and, like the pelicans, he was totally uninterested in the sight of us trying to look inconspicuous in the bows of the boat. Here are the few shots I was able to get - we didn't want to get too close for fear of stressing him or ruining his chances of dinner but he did a couple of great fly bys for us:

BaldEaglelandingonPeapodRockOrcasIsland.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BaldEagleonPeapodRockOrcasIsland.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BaldEagleOrcasIsland.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm glad you had a nice time while in the US! :) I love your Pelican pics, they look like Pterodactyls!!
Nice that you were able to see different birds that you don't see back home, including in your trip to the San Fransisco Zoo!

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Wow! Both experiences are such a delight to see! Thanks for sharing them!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Very cool! I love pelicans too, especially the brown pelicans. It's so cool the way they dive.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh! Thanks so much for sharing those experiences! It must have been truly breathtaking to have been in such a situation and I felt as though I'd been there with you. I'd love to have seen the spectacle of the pelicans diving! Our pelicans (Australia) are much larger than the Brown Pelican and do not dive from height. Instead, they trawl for their food with their massive expanding bills.

I have a funny pelican story of my own. When my daughter was about four, we had a day trip to a place called Woy Woy. It's a pretty little seaside place rather well-known for the large numbers of tame pelicans that live there. We were having a nice picnic lunch of sandwiches and my daughter was wandering around with her's in her hand. She paused to tell us something and was gesticulating with the sandwich to make her point. You couldn't imagine the expression on her face when a pelican reached over her shoulder with his bill (he was taller than she was) and delicately relieved her of her sandwich! LOLOLOL! One of life's precious moments!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Funny Trish, I'm sure the pelican thought she was waving the sandwich around just for him :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Your pictures are amazing...are you going to blow some of them up for your wall?
What a wonderful experience, and totally breathtaking. Thank you so much for sharing:)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Incredible photos! Thank you for sharing your experiences. I love the diving pterodactyl/pelican photo, he looks prehistoric. I have a soft spot for pelicans too.

OP
Jayyj

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Thanks everyone! I will get a few of them printed although the critic in me wants to go back and try again when I'm a bit more experienced with that camera - at the moment it's far too good for my abilities!

There is something about brown pelicans that is incredibly prehistoric - the long beak, bare skin around the face, ragged wings, and plumage that almost looks like wet leather. Amazing birds.

I'm glad none of then went for my niece's sandwich, it would have been the drama to end all dramas... When I was a teenager I had an irish wolfhound with a talent for food snaffling, and my cousin still tells her 'big dog ate my icecream' story 20 years later.

I found a couple more decent eagle pictures from later on the holiday, although most of the ones I saw were just chilling out. Interestingly whenever we spotted one we almost always saw a second within a few minutes, so presumably they're pair birds - I always assumed eagles would be solitary outside of breeding season.

BaldeagleStewartIsland.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BaldeagleintreeSuciaIsland.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
You're being far too critical, those are magnificent shots of the Eagle, looks like he was posing for you.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Is your cousin's dog's name Cooper?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvExOg4NI0"]Cooper Loves Ice Cream - YouTube[/ame]

IRNMom

Jun 16, 2014
New Britain, CT
Parrots
KissKiss, Indian Ringneck
Lolo, Cockatiel
Petri, Love bird
Scooter, Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts