Two tiels in the same cage, good idea or not?

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny and Newman - Cockatiels
Hi everyone - this is my first post. I have two cockatiels (I've had them since they were babies, theyre now about 7 & 9 years old), and I'm thinking about putting them in the same cage together. They are both very friendly, hand tame, and are out of their (side by side) cages together the majority of the time. What got my thinking about this is that the past few weeks I've noticed them both in my females cage on separate perches. I would say they get along fine, but are certainly not bonded. My female (Sunny) is not interested in the male (Newman) in the least, and although they both like their space, they do very well together too. Today I put them in the same cage for about 20 minutes while I was in the room, and they were fine, no squabbles, although they didn't seem to understand why they were in a cage when I was in the room, they're usually out cuddling with me if I'm home!
I'm wondering if anyone has done this - combining birds after they have been living separately for years. My females cage is plenty big enough for both, but of course I want them to be safe and comfortable too.
I would appreciate any advice or tips, thanks!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
It does sound like they are interested in changing their housing arrangements.....though I might leave their cage door open, in the female's cage, just in case, before locking the door.....

You're probably right about their move.....give them a few more days to change their minds & remove the other cage.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've never kept two species apart for so long...

Casey, my cockatiel will be going on 12 years old this year. I suspect she's probably the youngest flock member, but I don't know that for sure, since many of the others were given to me as adults with no known age.

I've had her since she was about 5 months old, and a month and a half after I got her, I was given a cherry headed conure. She immediately took to the conure, although was happy playing with budgies before then. Although I didn't think it was a good idea to allow her and the conure together (due to size differences), Casey had other plans! And a while later, they were living together as buddies!

It wasn't until 4 years later that I was given an adult male cockatiel that had just lost his mate. I had him for 6 months prior to rehoming him. He never lived "with" Casey (since she was still living with my conure, and the conure didn't like him), but they were fine interacting together. I was able to find him an aviary situation where I knew he'd be much happier in!

End of 2005, I was given a family of four cockatiels. Casey was still living with Noel, but was again fine interacting with these tiels. By 2007, I was given two more cockatiels (April 06 and December 07), adopted one out from the family and the birds were living a cage-free concept. Casey joined the tiel flock and spent a little less time with the conure.

Now, Casey still lives with the remaining tiels I have, but the conure has since passed away. She still remains as sweet and pesky as the day I got her! And even though she's living with her own kind in a cage, she always gets edgy to come out! Still demanding of scritches, and of course, it's that time of year where she wants to search out a place to lay eggs, but has no interest in pairing up with a male! (fine by me! half the reason I found Clyde another home! She wasn't nice to him! LOL)

OP
SweetBird

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny and Newman - Cockatiels
Thank you both so much! I appreciate the advice and stories that go along with it. I have both of their cages on a table in my office and they are normally free to run back and forth between each others cages. I think while they are out in the day time, I'll try leaving Newman's cage closed while having Sunny's open. Then, as weco suggested, removing Newmans cage all together.

Most Reactions

Latest posts