U.S. to Canada Eclectus... import help. :(Hi. This may be a long one. Background: M

OP
WinstonToBC

WinstonToBC

Oct 17, 2017
BC
Parrots
Winston (Eclectus)
Thank you. I am finding out more info as I asked my travel agent. I need the CITES export and most likely a special health certificate that involves a blood sample. Poor Winston. The Canada sides seems pretty straight forward: import and a quarantine area in my home. His foster mom is fantastic and is also doing what she can to help me find the right info. She sent me this recent photo of him taken today. :) I can't wait to have him here! Such a sweetie. She said she was cuddling with him and as she went to put him on his play pearch he says: No no no, stop. He seems to be using the right words at the right time. Hehehe...

Attachments

• IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 88
OP
WinstonToBC

WinstonToBC

Oct 17, 2017
BC
Parrots
Winston (Eclectus)
What a process! I have my CITES export. That was easy. I am in the process of getting the Canadian import. The vet is visiting my house today to check out the quarantine area. If it is okay then he sends off the approval papers to the import office and the office issues me an import. Port of Entry looks pretty straight forward for when I leave the U.S. The last thing I need is an official health certificate. And, air travel. Almost done!!!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I have to say that exporting a parrot from the US to any other country is just as difficult as it is to export a vehicle! I've done that many, many times, and the US is sooooooo strict about exporting anything out of the country to another country for fear that it is an "illegal export to be sold", as they don't want to lose any tax on that item. Same process for cars, along with all of the safety and emissions crap. It seems backwards, you'd think that the country that the parrot was going to would be the one that was stricter...

Good luck, it sounds like you have it under control now...Winston is lucky to have you!

OP
WinstonToBC

WinstonToBC

Oct 17, 2017
BC
Parrots
Winston (Eclectus)
I have to say that exporting a parrot from the US to any other country is just as difficult as it is to export a vehicle! I've done that many, many times, and the US is sooooooo strict about exporting anything out of the country to another country for fear that it is an "illegal export to be sold", as they don't want to lose any tax on that item. Same process for cars, along with all of the safety and emissions crap. It seems backwards, you'd think that the country that the parrot was going to would be the one that was stricter...

Good luck, it sounds like you have it under control now...Winston is lucky to have you!

Thank you! Can't wait to get him here. I have known him since I was a teen! He is around 28. So true with the process. All Canada wants is the import paper and proof that Winston was gifted to me (customs purposes.) Organizing the health check will be tricky as he goes to a regular vet and than that document goes to a ceritified goverment vet to check over the health certificate.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Wow! What a process! He seems like such a sweet bird:) I'm happy he will be coming home to you and your family:)

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
So glad to hear that the process is moving along, was wondering how it was going!

OP
WinstonToBC

WinstonToBC

Oct 17, 2017
BC
Parrots
Winston (Eclectus)
What a process! I am just about done. :) So, here is my take on getting a bird from the states to Canada:

1. Getting what you need from Canada is fine. Everyone I spoke to was helpful and friendly. The main organization to contact for Canada is the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. They are the ones who handle birds coming into Canada. Basicaly, there are two ways: Import/quarantine or no import/quarantine. It depends on where you fall in their definition. As I have proof of ownership, I am considered the owner. :)
2. U.S. CITES permit was easy. Fill it out, send it in, done. People in the CITES office were very helpful.
3. Health Certificate: not clear but the Canadian Food Inspection agency told me to get one for air travel. So, I am. :) I would rather have too much paperwork than not enough.
4. Port of Entry: Tricky. You have to fly into a Port of Entry to show CITES permit and all other documents. If there is not a POE, it costs a bit of money to arrange. For me, it would be the $100 app fee to ask for another entry location and $330 to get it done.
5. Air travel into Canada: Not may airlines do this. West Jet does, though. Call airlines and ensure a bird can travel into Canada. This was the biggest headache.

We are picking up our feathery family member next month, so will post how the trip went. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts