U2 digging at blankets

U2Chloe

Apr 18, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Chloe - 15yr Umbrella Cockatoo
I have a very sweet, affectionate, 18 yo female umbrella cockatoo. She is very bonded to me. Sometimes when I am lying down with a blanket, she will start to dig at it. She puts her head down against my leg or the mattress, and scratches with her feet at the blankets. Sometimes she kicks so hard she rolls herself over lol. I always assumed this was a nesting behavior, but I haven't found any info on it. Do you think that's what it stems from, or could it be a foraging behavior? Or is she just weird lol.

I took a short video of her and put it on YouTube so you can see her in action: [ame="https://youtu.be/OVqsN1QEwqc"]https://youtu.be/OVqsN1QEwqc[/ame]

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wow! Chloe is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the video!

"Chicken scratching," or digging is a natural wild behavior for Toos. I don't think it's exclusive to nesting. My female U2 does this year round and enjoys it as much as Chloe does in the video. The only time I discourage it is when Poppy is showing other signs of hormonal behavior, then I remove anything that could be viewed as a nest.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Personally, I just think she's weird! lol

Actually its kind of cute/funny

Jim

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Personally, I just think she's weird! lol

Actually its kind of cute/funny

Jim

Hahahaha, Jim! Certainly wouldn't be the first time Toos were accused of being weird, I'm sure it won't be the last!

It is cute/funny. It's always nice to see a happy, healthy Too having fun!

OP
U2Chloe

U2Chloe

Apr 18, 2012
Virginia
Parrots
Chloe - 15yr Umbrella Cockatoo
Thank you for the kind compliments! She is my baby. And yes, she's probably a little weird in general lol. She has had issues with hormones getting out of control in the past, but we've got it handled now, I think. She just does the scratching occasionally, so I don't think any nest building is happening. Good to know it's a normal behavior, while also cute and funny!! :white1:

gnatnlucy

Dec 10, 2014
Media
Auburndale FL
Parrots
Lucy the Umbrella Cockatoo
My Lucy also does this but I have noticed it's only on my bed she week climb up and start arranging her "nest" then I sit and she buries her head and dies what I refer to as "adult entertainment" bird with the heavy breathing. She will protect that area from all invaders also so I believe it's beating in her case she is making us a "love" den lol... She is a silly bird

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
My GCC does this too! But on my clothes instead of blankets. All the time.

Most Reactions