UGH!!! I'm so disgusted!

Jerseyjeff62

Sep 11, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
parakeet 20yrs(RIP PETEY),Gracie a TAG
Can you take the old caster to Home Depot or lowes and see if you can find a replacement caster

s_car_go

Jan 19, 2016
Houston Tx
Parrots
M&F Eclectus (Rainbeau & Ruby), B&G Macaw (Lulu Bell), and Hyacinth (Harley)
Stainless Steel Kings cages are not make in NJ.

They are made in Europe (so they say) and have all metric hardware.
I bought the corner SS version model 509. Its the most un-serviceable cage I have ever owned. Almost impossible to assemble one person.

The main door is so small that I could not reach the back of the cage to place toys. I ended up hinging the entire front section to I could clean and access the interior of the thing properly. A lot of welding and other various modifications to make it usable.

Obviously the people designing the cage never had to actually use one.

The smaller cages they offer I cannot comment on because I only own the largest they offer in SS.

I will never buy another SS cage from them again.

[ame="https://youtu.be/HgRgyGlhNMY"]https://youtu.be/HgRgyGlhNMY[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Texas, by way of New Jersey
Parrots
Shades: African Grey Congo Male, hatched June 20, 2016
been buying A&E cages they are expensive but good wheels
and they are heavy duty and should never need replaced, maybe new powder coating every 10 years or so just to freshen em up.

I really like the design of the current cage, and A&E is the only manufacturer who has the same design. At least that's what I've found so far. I just don't want to make any drastic changes that he'll recoginize and get stressed out.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Can you take the old caster to Home Depot or lowes and see if you can find a replacement caster

I ordered new casters and inserts from Kings cages, since they have a very similar cage. I'm going to try them out on Saturday since my husband will be home to help me with turning the cage on its side. It is very stable where it isright now, and I haven't noticed any problems with the other 2 casters, so that's a good sign.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Kings cages and A&E are made in New Jersey

Aren't the best things made in Jersey? ;-)

I'll probably go with A&E since they have a model with is made in the same shape of the cage he's in now. I don't want to stress him out more than necessary when the time comes to replace it.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Stainless Steel Kings cages are not make in NJ.

They are made in Europe (so they say) and have all metric hardware.
I bought the corner SS version model 509. Its the most un-serviceable cage I have ever owned. Almost impossible to assemble one person.

The main door is so small that I could not reach the back of the cage to place toys. I ended up hinging the entire front section to I could clean and access the interior of the thing properly. A lot of welding and other various modifications to make it usable.

Obviously the people designing the cage never had to actually use one.

The smaller cages they offer I cannot comment on because I only own the largest they offer in SS.

I will never buy another SS cage from them again.

https://youtu.be/HgRgyGlhNMY

Where is yu purchase your cage? I didn't see where the store name was mentined. I'm also not convinced stainless is the best route anymore, especially since reading the comments of others. I just want a sturdy cage that's going to last for several years, versus several months (3 in my case). I also "think" it is best to have his cage against a wall so he cannot poop on all 4 sides. The slight movements to clean around his cage contributed to the casters failing so quickly, I'm sure.

s_car_go

Jan 19, 2016
Houston Tx
Parrots
i bought the cage from Kings cages directly.

I replaced the castors with some serious heavy duty ones since the originals were not strong enough and failed within months. The cage weighs in at just over 200 lbs.

This cage is home to my largest macaw. I needed something rated to house a hyacinth.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
i bought the cage from Kings cages directly.

I replaced the castors with some serious heavy duty ones since the originals were not strong enough and failed within months. The cage weighs in at just over 200 lbs.

This cage is home to my largest macaw. I needed something rated to house a hyacinth.

The casters that broke have widened the area where the inserts go, so I hope the replacmeents will fit properly. Either way, as I mentioned, the cage is stable and I work around it to clean. Probably what I should have been doing in the first place, even though I barely moved it. (sigh) Lesson learned.

Your birds are much bigger than my Grey, but what's been your experience with non-SS versus SS cages? I just like to get as many opinions as possible.

s_car_go

Jan 19, 2016
Houston Tx
Parrots
All the usual stuff with steel. - Chipped paint / coatings, poor design, bad wheels, broken welds, door latches that the birds can operate easily, rusted nuts & bolts, rust, rust,rust then throw it away.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
The problem is they more than likely all come from the same country now? Anyone in the market to make good quality bird cages? We all appreciate buying well made ones. I didnt do too bad with my Montana, still had to buy replacement casters and the inserts but it is good now, was worth doing. Irksome that you shell out and then have to source bits and pieces to improve what you have paid good money for.

OP
Q

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
The problem is they more than likely all come from the same country now? Anyone in the market to make good quality bird cages? We all appreciate buying well made ones. I didnt do too bad with my Montana, still had to buy replacement casters and the inserts but it is good now, was worth doing. Irksome that you shell out and then have to source bits and pieces to improve what you have paid good money for.

In a way, this is a good learning experience, or shall I say, reminder when shopping and I come across something that looks just like what I want, but the saving in cost influences me to purchase the lesser item. Now I now better. His next cage will be more durable, hopefully.

Most Reactions

Latest posts