Uglow started barbering. Cautiously optimistic.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
So sorry I haven't been able to respond before now. Especially for one of my favorite birds on the forum! (Not that you've suffered for it. There have been some amazing responses on this thread. Steven's in particular!) My heart dropped when I read that Uglow was showing signs of barbering. You do such a great job with him, both in terms of his setup and your interactions and training time together. Makes it difficult to really narrow down a specific cause.

For what it's worth, I think that you are approaching the whole situation exactly as you should. Leaving no stone unturned and considering all possibilities.

So the blood tests yielded no irregularities with his blood levels? Anything too high or too low? If not, I think the most likely suspects to be hormones, boredom with the current batch/placement of toys, or a reaction to his molt.

One thing, as regards Uglow's exposure to sunlight. The filtering present in the glass of most windows means that the benefit of sunlight shining through the window is at best diluted and muted, and at worst virtually non-existent. There is debate over the efficacy, or lack thereof, of UV bulbs, but changing out your current one for a fresh one couldn't hurt... and might indeed help.

I LOVE the video you posted of him. "Cool!" Hahaha! Nice!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So sorry I haven't been able to respond before now. Especially for one of my favorite birds on the forum! (Not that you've suffered for it. There have been some amazing responses on this thread. Steven's in particular!) My heart dropped when I read that Uglow was showing signs of barbering. You do such a great job with him, both in terms of his setup and your interactions and training time together. Makes it difficult to really narrow down a specific cause.

For what it's worth, I think that you are approaching the whole situation exactly as you should. Leaving no stone unturned and considering all possibilities.

So the blood tests yielded no irregularities with his blood levels? Anything too high or too low? If not, I think the most likely suspects to be hormones, boredom with the current batch/placement of toys, or a reaction to his molt.

One thing, as regards Uglow's exposure to sunlight. The filtering present in the glass of most windows means that the benefit of sunlight shining through the window is at best diluted and muted, and at worst virtually non-existent. There is debate over the efficacy, or lack thereof, of UV bulbs, but changing out your current one for a fresh one couldn't hurt... and might indeed help.

Should start seeing some really big changes in the discussion regarding Sunlight, UV and what is in fact driving what in this discussion.

For the longest time, studies in this area have been fully funded by corporations that make light bulbs! That has changes recently as a Study regarding Blindness and what is and what is not triggering the production of specific chemicals historically believed to only occur in the presents of UV.

Early discussion regarding the study are hinting that UV places a much smaller part of the process and just Bright Sunlight a much larger roll. In addition, skin exposed to Sunlight seems to a secondary process, but once again, UV playing a much smaller roll.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Should start seeing some really big changes in the discussion regarding Sunlight, UV and what is in fact driving what in this discussion.

For the longest time, studies in this area have been fully funded by corporations that make light bulbs! That has changes recently as a Study regarding Blindness and what is and what is not triggering the production of specific chemicals historically believed to only occur in the presents of UV.

Early discussion regarding the study are hinting that UV places a much smaller part of the process and just Bright Sunlight a much larger roll. In addition, skin exposed to Sunlight seems to a secondary process, but once again, UV playing a much smaller roll.

Really?!? Fascinating, Steven! The implication being that the integrity of most of these studies indicating that sunlight through windows is not beneficial is far from beyond reproach... as such a finding would be in the best financial interests of the companies funding the research.

Hoping to hear a lot more on this. I'd never considered that the source in this particular case might have been compromised. Granted, just because the findings would be to their benefit doesn't necessarily make the findings incorrect. But it is definitely food for thought. At the very least, I'll give my Eclectic Duo some more window time just in case there are indeed more health benefits to be gleaned from window-filtered sunlight than I'd believed. Thanks for the insight, Steven.

OP
Uglow

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Thanks guys.
I've got the Stephen-Steven duo on it! :)

Yeah I agree Stephen, this place is remarkable. I think both Uglow and I would be in a world of trouble without it.
So to answer your questions yes, the blood test came back normal. Everything in range.
Steven, that's fascinating about the sunlight through the window.
Of course living in the city I get about 1 hour of sunlight coming in at a sharp angle. And I'm in Chicago where the sun vanishes for several days at a time. Really does a number on one's seasonal effective disorder.
My wife and I have decided we're gonna move in 2018 and sunlight will be at the top of our list. Just hope if that's what's causing his barbering, if he could just hold our a little longer.

Here's what we've done since I last checked in. Our new light (Zoo Med 24975 Avian Sun 5.0 Uvb) and humidifier have arrived.
Thanks for the suggestion Katie. that's the one we got.
I'm able to keep the Humidity just about 45-51 rh. When it ran out of water on the first night I woke up to 35 rh in the apartment. dry as a bone.
Got him more new toys and made his foraging toys a little more challenging to get to. Just making him work for it a bit more.

The zoo med light is bluer than my previous one. Not sure what that means.

No nightmares for a week now. I think the humidifier gurgling is drowning out the city and neighbors a bit. (another reason we want to move)

He's been eating like a champ as usual but I've been introducing a kabob skewer with every meal which he's been decimating every time as well.

weight is stable.

Cut his shower from daily to every other day. Yesterday he had a snot bubble in the shower. :D Yet another reason to always have your camera ready.

I've managed to teach Uglow another trick too which has helped keep our training sessions more exciting for him.
He will now fetch things I point too and drop them in my hand. It's ridiculously cute.
Increased flight recall training to every night.

Barbs are still at about 3-5 a night. Maybe one during the day.
I don't know if the problem that caused this has been addressed and this is now a habit or I haven't addressed the problem yet.

I'm a bit discouraged. I know it could be worse but I'm gutted every morning when I find a few barbs at the bottom of his cage.
I wish I could just ask him what's wrong. Plus we're boarding him in 2 weeks. :(
Follow up visit to the avian vet is next week. Fingers crossed.

Here's the goofball saying poopy while he eats. haha
(sorrythe thumbnail is a deceptive, it's just what I had on drive at the time)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig1fE5wFsBY"]Uglow chatting while he eats - YouTube[/ame]

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi I came across this from Sally Blanchard
"I highly recommend adding a a few drops to a 1/2 teaspoon of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA). There are several varieties available including Flax Seed Oil. Adding EFAs to the diet has helped quite a few parrots with feather destructive behaviours."

I let you perhaps research this a little more OK? :)

OP
Uglow

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Hi I came across this from Sally Blanchard
"I highly recommend adding a a few drops to a 1/2 teaspoon of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA). There are several varieties available including Flax Seed Oil. Adding EFAs to the diet has helped quite a few parrots with feather destructive behaviours."

I let you perhaps research this a little more OK? :)

Thanks for this. I've been reading about it since you posted it.
CAV visit on tuesday. I'll run it by him too.
Uglow is still at it. two days ago he had none at the bottom of the cage but yesterday we woke up to ten.
thanks again.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Just throw some flax seed on top of his food, you e got that covered. It won’t help too much, but still healthy. They have omega fatty acids that can help with dry skin.

Parker gets them with every meal.

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Poor Uglow! It's so disheartening to find those bits of feathers in the bottom of the cage. Try not to drive yourself too crazy. You're getting some great advice and ideas from everyone. Please keep updating x

OP
Uglow

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Thanks Chris and Violet_Diva.
The CAV visist didn't yield anything new. She still thinks he's due to for a super molt and it's causing a little extra itch. I'm relieved slightly but still not 100% satisfied. Last few days have been mild though. only 1 yesterday and none this morning. Tomorrow he goes back to CAV for boarding. I'm a little nauseous from panic. We haven't been apart since we brought him home 2 years ago.
Plumsmum2005 I brought up the EFA's and she suggested to hold off on that. But as Chris mentioned I started giving him a little extra flax seeds in his food. I usually mix some in with the chop but maybe not enough.
Both my wife and I have noticed that he seems happier than usual lately. His hormones have subsided a little too. Hopefully this is just a phase.
Yesterday he learned how to say "there you go" over and over and over and over....and while I was typing this he just climbed down my left arm to grab a ball, climbed back up to my shoulder and down my right arm and dropped the ball in my coffee. I'm gonna miss this little man.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Any updates on Sir Uglow?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Uglow

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Any updates on Sir Uglow?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the check in brother. Sorry I've been absent for a few weeks. I'll cut to the chase. Uglow hasn't barbed in 7 days now. I don't want to jinx it but so far so good.

The boarding stint went without a hitch. Though looking at his sweet face and reading his body language when I put him in that cage was the hardest thing my wife and I did in a very long time. Cried on the drive home and couldn't sleep all night. but apparently we're not that important haha. He did really well over there. The techs said that he hung out with them while they were feeding the other birds because he was so well behaved. He didn't scream like some of the other birds. He was flanked by an older male and a female. Both were pros at being boarded there. I don't know, maybe they were like "psst, don't worry little man. They always come back."

I started doubling my sprout production and dehydrating about half of them. Those act as treats for training and foraging. So he still gets the crunch and all but they're a bit healthier. I also have been giving him skewers with every meal and try to change up the combination of veggies and fruits on them. So he get's his chop and a skewer with some fun stuff.

Training sessions have increased, humidity is up, sleep schedule was adjusted from 11-11 to 9:30 - 9:30, showers were cut to 2-3 times a week but steam baths have gone up to at least daily sometimes twice a day. We've also introduced the bed as a new play area. Nightmares are down to about once a week.

During all of this we were still finding between 3-6 barbs every morning. then a week ago he just stopped.

Here's Uglow with one of his new toys. I love this because you can see him take it in and understand what to do. He did it once before I started filming.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZJxYcxZXNM"]Uglow watches to see how to play with new toy. - YouTube[/ame]
incidentally, once he figured out he can pry the walls apart that became the sole function of this toy.
586_zpswxtzazkw.gif

And here's a video of Uglow with a pillow fort.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjqSUido63o"]Uglow Plays with a Pillow Fort - YouTube[/ame]

Just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time with your helpful suggestions and words of encouragement. We're so happy that our little monster is doing better.

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Wonderful news!!! I am so happy to hear this!! You must be feeling such relief. Uglow is beyond adorable, loved the videos :D

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Those videos of Uglow are too funny and cute :) He's such a smart fella -- you've clearly done a great job of training him.

This REALLY makes me wish I had more time with Mango my gold-capped (and Mochi, too, but she seems far less into toys) to try out things like this. The thread has been informative and very useful, and I'm glad to read of Uglow's developments!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Yessssssssss! Go Uglow!!! I'm so happy he's stopped barbering! Remember, even if there is a recurrence, this is still progress. You're obviously doing something right. Keep up the great work with him!

And I LOVED the videos! I see just what you mean with him taking it all in. Very bright boy you've to there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts