Ultrasonic Humidifiers - Do our birds hear them?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I never thought about it until now. I've been using one just like this for over 2 years now: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HM2610-TUM-Ultrasonic-Humidifier/dp/B00CPGDAVS/ref=sr_1_34?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1400130227&sr=1-34&keywords=cool+mist+humidifier+filter+free"]Amazon.com - Holmes HM2610-TUM Ultrasonic Humidifier - Single Room Humidifiers[/ame]

I wonder if Boomer hears the ultrasonics it emits? He hasn't shown any reaction to it, but its on 24-7 so I don't know if he's been silently suffering all this time. What do you use at your home? Is it ultrasonic? Do you think this ultrasonic technology is annoying to our birds?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm not sure....I remember about 10 years ago I had bats in the chimney, and my birds could most definately hear their radar and HATED it. One got in the house late one night, flying around, and it's the birds who woke me up screaming bloody murder. They were covered in their blanket, but they heard the radar squeaks. The bats would also do the radar sounds occaisionally during the day and it would freak the birds out.
If you can't hear anything from the machine (except the normal whispering sound) I would guess it blends in with all the sounds of electrical devices in the home, as all electrical devices make a sound even when on standby.
If he doesn't act bothered when it gets turned on then I wouldn't worry. Try turning it off for a few hours, and then on again and see how he acts.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Good idea, Kali! I'll try that later. I hope the results are favorable because the only 2 other options for humidifier types are not that great. Air-Evaporative humidifiers tend to develop mold in the evaporative film. Heat-evaporative humidifiers are not safe to leave on if I'm not home because the heating element could start a fire if water runs out and it does not shut off like it's supposed to.

Do you use a humidifier at home? If so, what type is it?

Most Reactions

Latest posts