Bear

May 18, 2010
SA
Parrots
6 month old African Grey/ http://www.facebook.com/BearGreys

4yr old female Vosmaeri Eclectus
6yr old male Vosmaeri Eclectus
8wk old Umbrella Cockatoo
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some opinions please. We are looking to buy an Umbrella Cockatoo and have seen this baby, he is 8 weeks old, on 3 meals of porridge a day and eating a little hard feed, what do you think of him? Thanks in advance!

b02ab08a.jpg

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
He's really cute, and he's feathering out nicely... I think you could take him home. Is he showing agression or fear of the camera?

Is he eating vegetables at all? If he gets started on vegetables early, he'll get a great start to adulthood. He also needs to learn early how to eat his vegetables so that he won't refuse or ignore them as an adult.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I want him !!!!!!!!!!!! they so cute and cuddly when so small, and beautiful and gorgeous when older. Had my first encounter with one about 2 weeks ago. I was blown away. He was 3 years old, so friendly and chatting away.
Sounds like he is eating well for his age. Make sure he is introduced to soft veggies and fruit shortly.
Just look at him............ read his eyes ............ take me home now mom
Let us know what you decide
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
Bear

Bear

May 18, 2010
SA
Parrots
6 month old African Grey/ http://www.facebook.com/BearGreys

4yr old female Vosmaeri Eclectus
6yr old male Vosmaeri Eclectus
8wk old Umbrella Cockatoo
Hi guys thanks for the responses!

Parrotqueen no he is just playing around,h e is very very friendly and the reason his breeder is wanting to rehome him so soon is because he is already becoming attached to her, plus he was the only one born so I think she worries about him being a bit lonely.
Thanks Antoinette he is eating well and is already eating mashed up vegetables and learning how to eat nuts and seeds, he eats his 3 meals of porridge a day very well. :)

We aren't worried about weaning him ourselves as we did it with our baby CAG, we rescued him from some awful conditions and he was still only porridge ONLY at 16 weeks, so we have been there and done that!
Luckily we live where we work too so can spend unlimited time with our birds, in fact my CAG is sitting next to me now at work...destroying all paperwork in sight haha! My Vosmaeri Eclectus boy and girl also take turns coming down to work....we run a game lodge so they are never short of attention :) And of couse they are a major hit with guests!

Thanks so much for the nice resposnes...I was worried he looked a little scruffy but I know he is still feathering out! He is a happy bundle of fluff though! He is quite far away from us (6hr drive) so we are going to plan to pick him up later this week or next week as he is 9 weeks in a couple of days.:white1:
I will be sure to keep you updated and of course most importantly post lots of pics when he arrives!

Most Reactions