Umbrella Cockatoo - Biting & Separation Anxiety

Sweetea

Nov 8, 2012
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
Coconut is a 4 year old Umbrella Cockatoo I adopted from a family 4 days ago. When I met him he was screaming and banging his head around in his cage. It was honestly frightening since this is my first experience with a large parrot. The owners let me put my hand inside his cage to show me that he was "a sweetheart and won't bite". He let me pet him and didn't bite. He even spoke to me and told me his name.

So I thought I could work with that and I purchased him and brought him home. When I got him home, I was confused to how I was going to get him out of the small cage they had him in. I got brave, opened the door, and let him get on my arm. It took a while, but he did it. He sat there, talking, as I walked him through the house. I got him to his new cage, sat him inside it, and let him explore.

Over the course of 3 days he would talk, play, sit on top of his cage or the perch attached outside of it. He would cuddle up to me and rub his head in my lap and go to sleep. He would fly from his playstand to his cage as much as he wanted and he was happy, I was happy.

But.. even the very first day I noticed whenever I left the room he screams the highest ear piercing scream I have ever heard. He only stops when I come back into the room. I read that curing separation anxiety starts with providing enough toys and entertainment so he won't be bored when I leave the room. It also starts with leaving the room when he screams, and not coming back until he stops. I read that training helps..

I have sensitive ears.. and have been suffering from extreme headaches since I got him. I also realize that Cockatoos are one of the loudest species of birds, but I never thought it could be this bad.

This morning, when I took him out of his cage to put him on my bed and let him cuddle me like he has been doing.. he bit me. And it's not the first time he's bit me, but this time it hurt. He bit me on my side and almost broke the skin, I've got quite a nice bruise there now.

He bit me, for no reason at all.

So my question is this..
What can I do to stop this behavior? I can manage the screaming with training, but the biting? I can't handle him if I can't trust him, and I can't let him out of his cage if I don't feel safe. I'm very petite & anemic, so one wrong bite can send me bleeding and to the emergency room. I've seen just how powerful his beak can be and it's scary.

If I can't stop this behavior, I will have to sell him.

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Sounds like you may be in over your head....

U2's SCREAM.....U2's bite.....Not all U2's and not all the time.....but it seems like your's does...

Mickey Screams when she ISN'T happy....this could be me leaving the room...going to work....turning the wrong channel on the TV, Mickey screams when she IS happy, or it's dusk......It's LOUD....but we have worked on distractions...and usually it doesn't last long.

Mickey BITES....Mickey thinks it is funny when I Scream....I can now read her body language...and know when it's coming....sometimes I can distract her.....mostly not....this is not all the time.....usually if she's over stimulated....but I know she will bite.....I have learned not to act timid...this encourages her....it really is a game with her....

Chiquita SCREAMS...cause she likes to....she doesn't need a reason.....she also talks.. so it's not her only way of communication....but some days it is her favorite.....Chiquita has never bitten....but I know she could...at any time.....

I say that to say this......you have adopted a very intelligent bird. I wish you had researched better before taking him in....if you are afraid of him...he will sense it, and he will play on it......I almost never say this...but perhaps another home would be better....I would hate to see him end up cage bound because you are afraid to let him out.....

Maybe others will have a trick to keep him from biting....but other than time and him getting to know you, (bonding goes a long way to curb this....but you have to be able to bond/not be fearful for this to work), I don't know of anything.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Can you provide us with a picture of his cage?

Cockatoo's have been named "velcro" birds, and they are so easy to love on, and love on too much. If the species isn't independent, then they are rarely taught to be independent and play on their own.

It may (or may not) help to give him a few treats inside the cage, giving him a soaking bath, or wearing him out via flight prior to having to leave him be. I have found for my conure to be quieter when he gets more exercise versus less.

Have you looked into clicker training and positive reinforcement from trainers such as Barbara Heidnreich, Melinda Johnson, Susan Friedmand and Karen Pryor?

OP
Sweetea

Sweetea

Nov 8, 2012
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
I did a ton of research before I adopted him, the text simply didn't do the reality justice.

Anyway I've been working with him and things are better.

I have new questions that I will post in a new thread about bathing and harnesses.

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I'm really glad things are working out for you both. I know what you mean about text not doing justice to the sound that actually comes out of some birds. When I was driving home with my new baby macaw he was in a crate. Out of no where came this sound that I can only imagine would come from a 1000lb. Terra dactyl ! I love him tough and thankfully I haven't heard it since. I know I will but for now its good. Hahaha

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm glad things are better. But they can bite without reason at anytime. So always be watchful! Mines been sooooo much better now since he's not a Velcro bird....

Barbzeee

Nov 23, 2012
Pa/Florida
@ MickeyTN,

My SHUGA is only 4 mos and I'm working on her being more independent. I know it will take a while but as of right now she's been doing pretty good with her out time and in time and yes, she does a little screaming but not to bad YET..and I watch those signs for biting.. Our last parrot was an Amazon and she disliked women..lucky me..loved my hubby ..but still I worked around her..she was a hoot for sure and we had her 35 years..
Now of course we have SHUGA an U2. Sometimes I think that name reminds me of a Out of space cartoon..but I am enjoying her while I'm in Florida and hubby is back in Pa..sure hope she takes to him when we head back north. LoL

However I am constantly reading all that is written and hope and pray when I have to pass her on to a new home as I'm 69 and I do realize that will happen that she will be a joy to whom I bestow her too...

Thanks for all your advice I'm still learning

God bless

Zeee and critters 3 &1/2

Most Reactions