Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Eastern Galah - Suki Lala 10 months old
Greyhound Cross - Max 7 years old
Great Dane Cross - Marque 2 years old
Rats -Lola 1yr old, Tsuyu, Enya, Fury all 6 months old, Cookie 8 weeks
Before I got a bird I did a lot of research. And I knew that Suki, being a galah and a cockatoo would be noisy. I was fully prepared for morning and afternoon screaming, for screaming when she playing, happy or just for the fun of it. That I was prepared for. What I didn't know was that birds got separation anxiety, it really hurts me when I have to go about my business in the house which requires leaving the room and Suki screeches very upset at my absence. I have to work, and I have to move around, and I'm terrified I'm causing her stress and I'm worried she's feeling lonely abandoned and might start plucking. She has heaps of toys, that she loves. She gets on average 6 hours out of her cage every afternoon if not more.

What else can I do? I can't spend all day and all night right next to her cage. Would she be happier in a multi bird house or with someone who really could spend all day with her? Or will she get better at dealing with my absence.

Please help and please don't judge me for thinking of rehoming her. I really am thinking of the best for her.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
You need to teach her to be an independent bird, much easier said than done. But you need to start now. You'll have to be strong and not give in to her begging. It's hard on everyone envolved, but necessary for her and you to be happy in the future. Hopefully you can find that happy middle where everyone's needs get meet,but it will take some sacrifice and work. Now comes the part they didn't tell you about when you got that cuddly baby.

Last edited:
OP
Ginkai

Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Yeah I understand she needs to be independent. But she has all her favourite toys in her cage, but will only play with them when I'm in the room. I'll just continue to be strong and hope she gets used to being alone some of the time then. .

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yeah I understand she needs to be independent. But she has all her favourite toys in her cage, but will only play with them when I'm in the room. I'll just continue to be strong and hope she gets used to being alone some of the time then. .

No she doesn't have all of her favorite toys in her cage, your out the door !!! She just need to learn that she'll be alright til you get home. PS i can't believe i'm in the Too section offering advice, i'm so not a too person. Maybe some others can give you some better advice.

Last edited:

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
portaperch-albums-perch-picture4060-hpim2040-medium.jpg
Is there a tv in the room? Could you put her in a room more in the center of activity? We often turn on Petkeeping on a loop. Our two are never caged, and just today wifey noticed Chewbaca crying a little while Greybeard was in the bedroom with her. Our only problem with Chewbaca is chewing.

Last edited:
OP
Ginkai

Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Yeah she has a tv and her cage is in the main room of the house but she still throws tantrums if I leave. I'm hoping she will still get used to it.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Make sure you don't react to those tantrums... Do you give her less attention now, than when you first got her?

Food is a great diversion... so maybe look into foraging... You'll need to teach her, of course

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
You just need to try and totally ignore her! Its hard, but in the end she will realise that screaming does not get any attention from you whatsoever!

I went through this with Codie for 3 Months and I just totally ignored her! If she did not scream when I left the room, then I gave her a treat! Luckily, she now only does it now and then!

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
The biggest mistake Bird Owners make is spoiling the bird when it is new. They give their bird loads of attention and then the newness wears off and reality sets in. Birds in general are emotional...but Too's are the extreme! It's going to be like quitting smoking for Suki. I wouldn't be extreme at first but when she starts crying or screeching, cover her and only uncover her when she quiets down. She will figure out she's going to get covered if she screeches. It will take time...you have to start at Ground Zero. If you do decide to rehome her without weaning her off of being so dependent on you, no matter where she goes or who she goes with, she will suffer from separation anxiety for being separated from you! While rehoming her will solve her screeching issue form you, from having to hear it, Suki will still suffer from being pulled away to a new environment without you. You have to help her become more independent....good luck! And remember with a Too...it's Balancing Good and Bad...and LOTS OF WINE! Hang in there!

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
Galahs are big flock birds. and do usually crave attention and company because of this instinct. But if you teach her to forage and play with her toys she should be okay with you leaving as long as you teach her that you will always be coming back.

my baby used to always screech when he heard me walk out the front door (it creaks so he knows, and thats where we usually exit from)

so i started walking out the front door, and then back in the back door where he could see me, every so often, not aknowledging him because hes still screeching, but just walking past and then kept doing whatever it was i was doing. He eventually understood that the front door wasnt such a bad thing, and (according to people left in my house when i leave) he doesnt screech after i leave once he realises i wont be coming in the back door either. :)

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Henpecked, thats still good advice - Too person or not :D (maybe you just don't know that you are one).

Is the screaming, while you are at home moving from room to room? Or are you concerned because she is screaming while you are gone from the house?

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Ignore the screaming and remove yourself from her presence when she does it. If shes doing it and your out of the room only return when she is quiet (even if that is hours). She has to learn that screaming is not what gets her results, that being quiet does. She has learned that screaming gets attention or she wouldn't still be doing it. Attention is addressing the screaming in anyway shape or form (from anyone in the house even if she doesnt like them, and its something that you consider to be a 'punishment'). If she screams and gets ANY reaction that is positive reinforcement. I suggest wearing ear plugs until you can get her over it. Some are more stubborn than others, this may take months to get over. This is a Too throwing a temper tantrum, this is why so many people don't have them because they don't want to deal with this trait. Toos take A LOT of patience but if your consistent it will pay off. You just have to move past this. You can NEVER give any attention to it, even if you have been diligent for months and one day she screams and you positively (knowingly or not) reinforce it - then you have just started back at square one.

When I took on Rome, she was 16yrs old and was WAY over spoiled when I got her. We went through 6-7months of non stop screaming. It wasn't fun but it took that long for her to learn that it wasn't going to work at my house. Now shes super quiet, she may scream once or twice a week if she does at all. Hopefully your RB2 is young enough that it will only take a month or two. Its hard to break a habit once they have one and its SUPER easy to unknowingly create a bad habit with a Too.

Where is her cage located in the house? I would suggest keeping it in the busiest part of the house, so she doesn't feel isolated, preferably in a spot where she can see more than one room at a time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts