Understanding, really understanding

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Something I've noticed specifically with my Greys.... When speaking to them with teaching intent, I've noticed a certain look of fixation or study in their eyes. Mostly works with verbiage and often associated with a **** to the head one way or another. I call this the "recording mode." They may not always respond to show learning, but I believe it is intent or just "filed away."

I KNOW that look. Often times it is paired with pinning. I am not generally an early riser, I have pain issues which makes nighttime sleep almost impossible. Anyway, hubby says that early in the morning he will often repeat words or phrases that we have been working on. Usually in a quiet voice Tsali will say his name and repeat what I'be been trying to teach him. So sadly, I usually miss out on the first repeat.

Oh yes, the pinning as well! FTR, the forum cyberbot didn't like the word c o c k in the context of a head movement! :eek:

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
Something I've noticed specifically with my Greys.... When speaking to them with teaching intent, I've noticed a certain look of fixation or study in their eyes. Mostly works with verbiage and often associated with a **** to the head one way or another. I call this the "recording mode." They may not always respond to show learning, but I believe it is intent or just "filed away."

I completely agree . I find it really fascinating when Gracie is in that fixation learning zone. If she's listening to me or something that's caught her interest she files that away. Sometimes I'll hear her practicing softly at a later time other times she'll she's break out what she learned when them mood eventually strikes her lol it's less likely in her case that she'll repeat right then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird's eyes (or at least the one that's looking at me) pin when he says certain words. In the time it takes for him to say "C'mere", for example, the pupils shrink to dots and then return to normal. And if he says it several times in a row, the eye pins every time. He never does it except when HE's talking.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
I would highly recommend Irene Pepperberg's book Alex And Me for an example of how sophisticated a grasp of language a CAG is capable of. Quite incredible. I've just been reading a book on corvid behaviour and intelligence and the Author brought up Alex as a high water mark for a bird's ability to form words and used them in context.

I second that, Jayyj... that's a great book... Pepperberg's.
What's the title of the corvid book, please?

Thank you for the suggesttion. Although I haven't read Alex and Me, I did read one of Pepperburg's papers that went into depth about the training methods. I was quite intrigued about the techniques she used and the scientific approach to Alex's training. But when I saw a short video of Alex, it broke my heart. To my untrained eye, what I saw was a pitifully sad plucked bird, in a "lab setting". What bothered me most about Alex was that he was such an intelligent being, being trained day in and day out for thirty years in a strick controlled environment. I know that he had a lot of mental stimulation and interaction with a lot of her students, but how much time did he have out of the cage having fun on a play stand, or tearing up stuff, or "helping" do chores?

After seeing the video of Alex, I just couldn't make myself read Alex and Me. As I type I have tears in my eyes thinking how sad Tsali would be without the freedom to fly around and kinda sorta be a "real" bird. I know I am being close minded. I feel certain that Pepperburg truly loved Alex, but I just can't unsee the image of a sad looking plucked bird sitting on a perch in a small cage.

The impression I got from the book was of a bird that was very much loved by his principal owner, had a network of other people to spend time with, and lead a full life. It's a while since I read it but she does talk about the plucking issue - I can't remember the details. In as far as it's possible to tell from a second hand account, he was cared for, provided for and loved throughout his time with Dr Pepperburg. It's certainly worth reading the book before judging the owner.

Most Reactions

Latest posts