Understanding the mind of your grey and other parrots

shanlung

Banned
Banned
Jun 1, 2010
Gaia
Understanding the mind of your grey and other parrots

2600 years ago, Sun Tzu wrote his Ping Fa better known perhaps to you as 'The Art of War'

One fundamental underlie his thoughts in his PingFa.

ηŸ₯ ε·± ηŸ₯ ε½Ό
zhi ji zhi bi

η™Ύ 战 η™Ύ θƒœ
bai zhan bai sheng

or

Know yourself, Know your opponent
A hundred battles, a hundred victory.

I am not saying we treat our grey as an enemy to do battle with.

But if we understand them, it may make it that much easier to live with them and to train with them.

Whether you want to train with them as friends, or to train them as you the "Alpha', understanding their mind must help.

And perhaps those that thought they must dominate them and be the Alpha might even change their mind instead.

And perhaps those that have been bitten and otherwise terrorised by their grey might be bitten a lot less and enjoy their parrot a lot more, and find training with them a lot easier. And in bonding with them.

If you understand the mentality of your parrot, that might go a long way to becoming friends together. And save you lot of pain and heartaches in the process.

Notwithstanding that was written in early 2005, I cannot add further to that.

I think this is one of the most important of the many entries I have written over the last ten years.

I find what I wrote to be applicable to my currently living with Riamfada, and to Yingshiong even if YS was not a grey.

My 2 cents and for all it is worth.

An extract from Tinkerbell Legacy

Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Rant 03 (a flighted parrot mentality)

shanlung: Tinkerbell Legacy - - Rant 03 (a flighted parrot mentality) & Understanding the mind of your grey

OP
shanlung

shanlung

Banned
Banned
Jun 1, 2010
Gaia
With all the biting going on and claims of hormonal changes (which to me is a HUGE cop out), I thought I kick this back up.

Probably to be ignored so that they can continue to moan about being bitten and how bad the birdie is

Binimiya

Oct 6, 2011
This is really amazing... I did not know about it before... But reading all this I have enjoyed a lot... Thank you for sharing information with me.

OP
shanlung

shanlung

Banned
Banned
Jun 1, 2010
Gaia
This is really amazing... I did not know about it before... But reading all this I have enjoyed a lot... Thank you for sharing information with me.

Share what you read with others too, especially those that you feel that needed the help that what I wrote can provide them. Whether from getting chomped on or in living a better and happier life with their birdies or even beasties.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I know from experience that not everyone is equipped mentally to live with parrots. Some people's mindset is just not compatible with parrot thinking. I have talked many a person out of getting a parrot and I can say this with conviction.

I have always been a bird person. I use to feed wild birds out of my hands as a child and I have always had a fascination and respect for birds. That is not to say that I have never been nipped by a parrot but I can co-exist with them just fine.

As for hormone issues. I would love for the hormones to drop on my Noble Macaw but he is in love with my roommate and wants to have eggs with her. I need these levels to drop so that his cholesterol will drop and I need for it to drop over 1000 points. Poor parrot!

I am getting a baby RFM. This bird will be co-parented like my Diego was so this bird will know how to be a parrot. I am excited and concerned for my new baby RFM. I will reread your writings when its closer for me to get my baby.

Thanks for posting it. Your reading makes a lot of sense and I really enjoyed it

Noblemacaw

PS. I am keeping my baby flighted because I believe it is healthy for the parrot. He will be recalled and harness trained by the time the weather gets warm enough to take him outside.

Last edited:

Most Reactions