Unexceptable behavior..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
..Amy...is being a witch! She has been doing this for sometime now,and I'd like to try and get her to stop.

When she is out on the floor,and someone walks in,she will fluff up,tail spread..and run like the wind to BITE that persons foot. :eek:

Over the years she has done this many times to me. Once,when my ex was visiting,Amy chased her down the hall trying to get poor Debbie..I thought it was quite amusing..:D...not so much for Debbie lol.

Well today Amy was out,on the living room floor and I was in the other room. I went to see if she was bugging Jonesy and when I walked in she immediately fluffed up and ran and bite my foot. Unfortunately for me,I was barefoot and she got the top of my foot real good and it hurt like the dickens.
I immediately got her on her perch stick and put her back in her house,telling her how bad she was.
Anything I can do? besides wearing shoes lol.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Keep your Amazon off the floor!

Most Amazons behave while on the floor, others can over-load and that is when problems develop, example: Biting.

You say that she is being a witch. Is she presenting any other behavioral issues? Clearly, she easily over-loads while being on the floor.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Keep your Amazon off the floor!

Most Amazons behave while on the floor, others can over-load and that is when problems develop, example: Biting.

You say that she is being a witch. Is she presenting any other behavioral issues? Clearly, she easily over-loads while being on the floor.

Just the cage thing thing..MINE MINE MINE!!..otherwise she is sweet.

Jim

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The behavior mod for birds that get on the floor and chase people, is to get a large pillow, and use it to back the bird up into a corner.

The bird sits there feeling trapped and vulnerable, realizing just how angry this behavior has made you.

Then you give the "knock it off command." Step up. No biting. You behave!

And the next time this bird goes to give chase, assuming there even is a next time, all you have to do is get the pillow and show it to her...

DO I HAVE TO GET MY PILLOW?! YOU KNOW HOW ANGRY MR. PILLOW GETS WHEN YOU DO THAT... :eek:

In the wild, if one bird gets attacky and territorial with another bird within the flock, they don't sit there and take it. They drive the offending bird off! "YOU WANT TO GET KICKED OUT OF THE FLOCK?! TRY THAT AGAIN... " :eek:

Your amazon is making a bid for territorial dominance. YOU have to be the territorially dominant bird at all times. Establish your place in the flock! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts