OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Small update.

I've looked into it and unfortunately there are no vets and/or laboratories near me that will perform a necropsy on Abby. My family and I will he burying her today.

I'm going to keep an extremely close eye on my two other birds for the next few weeks. They seem to be fine and acting themselves (minus some confusion when Abby isn't there in routine activities) so I think it wasn't anything that could have spread. I've washed all of their things (toys/cages/food dishes/etc.) thoroughly.

I spoke to my family unfortunately at this point we believe if it was something that could spread, the other two already have been exposed. I'm fairly sure it wasn't though. Abby had absolutely no physical signs of illness up until the last second, (besides the lack of energy) no discharge, no trouble breathing, no nothing.

I'm very thankful to all of you for your support. If I can ask one more thing, please pray for my bird's future health.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sometimes there is nothing more we can practically accomplish, and you have exhausted all possibilities.

Best advice is to support your fids nutritionally and ensure they are free of all known hazards.

I will be thinking of you, Abby, and your family today.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Sometimes there is nothing more we can practically accomplish, and you have exhausted all possibilities.

Best advice is to support your fids nutritionally and ensure they are free of all known hazards.

I will be thinking of you, Abby, and your family today.

Thank you for understanding. I feel guilty that I can't get the procedure done, but its simply not realistic for me to make the trip right now. (It would be at least 2 hours there and back, and then again to retrieve her to bury. I am also not at all comfortable letting the post office throw her around)

I'm feeding them their usual diet trying to introduce more veggies/fruit and even meat. Hopefully there's nothing else.

Thank you. I truly appreciate it. [emoji173]

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If there's any chance of a state department of agriculture being close, and if they have veterinary services, they could potentially do a necropsy as well...

I'm finding that your state agricultural department is in East Lansing, which probably isn't close to you....

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdard/Contact_Sheet_560537_7.pdf

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
If there's any chance of a state department of agriculture being close, and if they have veterinary services, they could potentially do a necropsy as well...

I'm finding that your state agricultural department is in East Lansing, which probably isn't close to you....

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdard/Contact_Sheet_560537_7.pdf
I already buried her last night. Thank you though. And no- unfortunately it's almost two hours away from me.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I understand your decision. 15 years ago when I was a teenager I had no idea what a necropsy was and had lost 2 of my birds by then. Now that I'm a little bit better educated, I drive and have a reliable vehicle and income of my own I am able to do more. To me a 2 hour drive made twice is worth it to get answers and closure but I understand that you are in a much different position than me. Rest in peace to your little one.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
I just saw this post and wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Maverick(pattagonian conure)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Blue(Indian Ringneck-Rest in peace)
I’m a little late to this thread and I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my precious Blue yesterday and I just can’t imagine the pain you’re going through. From one bird mom to the next, I’m very sorry for your loss

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I’m a little late to this thread and I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my precious Blue yesterday and I just can’t imagine the pain you’re going through. From one bird mom to the next, I’m very sorry for your loss
Thank you, and I'm sorry you're going through the same thing. I hope you feel better soon. I'm sure Blue was loved just as much as my Abby was.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I figured it was probably too far away. I grew up in a tiny little town with a population of 90. I wish I knew more then about caring for animals. I can say that thanks to a relative, I have some less than pleasant memories growing up there in regards to animals - many of which could have potentially been avoided. Grocery shopping or anything having to deal with animals? Had to travel to another state for that... granted, it wasn't 2 hours, but it was still a good 45 minutes or so.

Being older with a job and vehicle, plus moving to the city has greatly helped - but I miss the countryside!

I can't fault you for your decision either. I've been grieving for months now, so I can understand the pain you are in.

How are Stanley and Iggy doing with Abby's passing?

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I figured it was probably too far away. I grew up in a tiny little town with a population of 90. I wish I knew more then about caring for animals. I can say that thanks to a relative, I have some less than pleasant memories growing up there in regards to animals - many of which could have potentially been avoided. Grocery shopping or anything having to deal with animals? Had to travel to another state for that... granted, it wasn't 2 hours, but it was still a good 45 minutes or so.

Being older with a job and vehicle, plus moving to the city has greatly helped - but I miss the countryside!

I can't fault you for your decision either. I've been grieving for months now, so I can understand the pain you are in.

Ah, that's not good, but I'm also kind of jealous! I desperately wish I could leave the suburbs. A 2 hour isn't necessary bad for us, but Abby passing couldnt have happened at a worse time. It's not feasible for us to make that drive during the week, and we've been worrying about one of our dogs having mobility issues.

I do have a car, but I'm terrified of highways. Terrified. So I couldn't have gone myself. Honestly back and forth from school this week I shouldn't have been driving, I was too distracted.

Thank you for understanding. I'm sorry as well for you, I hope you'll be feeling better soon. I know losses like these tend to be especially tough. It's strange coming home and not hearing your bird scream to greet you.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico

I completely missed the last part there, oops.

They're doing ok. Stanley honestly doesn't seem to care much, but he can tell I'm upset so he's been coming over and kissing me.

Iggy on the other hand is much more affected as they were cagemates. She's not necessarily sad, but she keeps giving me this terribly confused looks when we do things that Abby normally would have done with us. I put her on the shower perch Abby used and she gave me this awful look like it was just hitting her what had happened. Shes been seeking affection from me more and cries when I leave her alone in the cage. She's going to be fine I think, but I don't think she likes being alone anymore.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I hate driving... and there's been a few times where I've driven (mostly driving home) and I just start crying. I find driving to be an evil necessity and if traffic is backed up, especially on the highway, then sometimes I'll take a detour. I usually prefer the highway because it's not stop and go like traffic lights are... but when it gets backed up, and if I know a detour, I'll take it!

It's gotten better though... I live in Nevada and have driven to So-Cal (LA), Washington, Utah, Montana and Texas. (with my S.O. another driver!)

If it was up to me, we'd just instantly teleport to where we need to go! ;) I do like sight seeing, but not a fan of things that could go wrong on the roads!

It's certainly an adjustment for everyone involved. Give Iggy some extra attention, I'm sure she needs it and I know you do as well!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I hate driving... and there's been a few times where I've driven (mostly driving home) and I just start crying. I find driving to be an evil necessity and if traffic is backed up, especially on the highway, then sometimes I'll take a detour. I usually prefer the highway because it's not stop and go like traffic lights are... but when it gets backed up, and if I know a detour, I'll take it!

It's gotten better though... I live in Nevada and have driven to So-Cal (LA), Washington, Utah, Montana and Texas. (with my S.O. another driver!)

If it was up to me, we'd just instantly teleport to where we need to go! ;) I do like sight seeing, but not a fan of things that could go wrong on the roads!

It's certainly an adjustment for everyone involved. Give Iggy some extra attention, I'm sure she needs it and I know you do as well!

Oh man do I know how you feel.

I love sightseeing as well, but cars are scary. You're hurtling down the road in a hunk of metal, towards other drivers who may or may not be competent.

It is. Iggy is getting lots of love, and actually seeking it from me!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Honoree First Name