Unlucky Person

VinPop

May 10, 2024
Parrots
None
I am very very very very unlucky.
why?, because i decided i want a big ol' cockatoo.

I cannot make this part of me go away no matter how many times i hear about how they're "nightmare birds", "the worst pet" and a lot more, the main reason why is because...
a lot of the statements i hear are very very generalized, to the point of seeming like hyperbole

"Cockatoos scream for HOURS on end"
Don't they need 4 ish hours of undivided attention? during which they don't seem to be screaming at all?, most fits i see are minutes long, and they are not awake for a long enough time to be "literally" screaming for "hours"

"You won't have any nice things left"
I know they have strong beaks, but does that really mean NOTHING will EVER be safe?, it seems like this again an exaggeration, i doubt that a cockatoo will destroy things that are safely kept away from it

Another reason is the sheer amount of inconsistent advice i hear, there are so many examples i could list but it's generally very difficult for me to find completely identical answers to the same question, some people are very calm about owning a cockatoo and treat it like no issue, and others will post about how miserable their life is because of their owning of one, and that's not even getting into behavioural tendencies and general care guides, it seems like cockatoos are very inconsistent?, as in some birds aren't particularly fiendish.

I just really want a comprehensive understanding of what taking care of these birds is like, the minimums and maximums WITHOUT any exaggeration please, negative or otherwise, i want to know how long i can leave it alone (You will NEVER travel again vs You can just let someone take care of it for a week), their behaviour (screaming as stated above), and literally any other thing about owning a cockatoo!!!
P.S I am thinking of getting a Moluccan, Triton or Umbrella Cockatoo.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So, just go out and get one!!
You 'want one' what really matters beyond that, right!

My only advise is:
- Assure that the Parrot Wants You more than you want it!!
- Large Parrots require large cages, perches, etc. Assure you can afford the stuff as well as the Parrot!
- You live in your own home, and not an apartment!
- Assure you have an Avian Vet near you and you have your own transportation to get there when you need to! Regular Vet care is important with Large Parrot and they hide their illness well! Yearly, well bird exams are needed.
- Money is important as Large Parrot are expensive!

Lots of luck!!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
If they are any bird rescues or pet stores with cockatoos near you, consider visiting/ volunteering so that you can get some real life experience interacting with a cockatoo. The variances in behavior that you hear about are largely due to two things. 1) each bird is an individual. Some are super sweet and gentle others are little feathered demons, lol! This is true for pretty much every species. 2) Owners who seem to have no problems with their birds may just be very good, very tolerant owners. They make sure that their bird has lots of toys, interact with them regularly, have a consistent schedule, etc. and aren’t bothered by things like occasional screaming or having their furniture chewed on. I see this with all kinds of animals. When I got my Quaker parrot, it took about a week for me to realize that I was going to have to dramatically change my life schedules and routines to accommodate him. I did and now we have a good routine established and we’re both happy. Best of luck with your decision!

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
If they are any bird rescues or pet stores with cockatoos near you, consider visiting/ volunteering so that you can get some real life experience interacting with a cockatoo. The variances in behavior that you hear about are largely due to two things. 1) each bird is an individual. Some are super sweet and gentle others are little feathered demons, lol! This is true for pretty much every species. 2) Owners who seem to have no problems with their birds may just be very good, very tolerant owners. They make sure that their bird has lots of toys, interact with them regularly, have a consistent schedule, etc. and aren’t bothered by things like occasional screaming or having their furniture chewed on. I see this with all kinds of animals. When I got my Quaker parrot, it took about a week for me to realize that I was going to have to dramatically change my life schedules and routines to accommodate him. I did and now we have a good routine established and we’re both happy. Best of luck with your decision!
I adored my Goffins 'too. But I will never own another cockatoo again. She was funny, silly, yes destructive, and although it wasn't a regular occurrence, but when she bit, it HURT! The shape of her beak lead to pain... worse than the bites of greys, macaws, amazon, and a conure.
She wasn't the quietest bird, but she didn't scream... just noisy vocalizations.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO the thing to think about is that every parrot is it's own bird, so to speak. Each is an individual and so similar to a intellegent 3-4 year old, both mentally and emotionally, that you might as well be talking about adopting a child (that never grows up). THe fact that they can be tamed but are still wild animals means they are a product of nature AND nurture. The nurture part is what determines much of the opinions and stories about them. A parrot that is weaned properly by humans, and given love and guidance by humans is likely to be one of the good stories. A parrot badly weaned, never allowed to fledge and raised by people who got a parrot for all the wrong reasons; unsuccessfully dealing with puberty and mating seasons - that parrot is the screamer or habitual biter , but not always! Parrots have a true mind of their own, and very able to think of reasons to scream, bite and otherwise be A-holes, all by themselves, thank you very much.

SO yeah, your cockatoo might turn out to be one of the not needy, yet cuddly; loves to chew toys but not your furniture and doors; SIngs, talks, whistles but not screams; always gives a warning mouthing before administering a bite. But, make sure you are prepared if he doesn't live up to those lofty stereotypes. Most parrots are a mix of both good and bad, I find. My own, a small Amazon (amazon lite, his vet calls him) is a smart, usually quiet, well behaved lil guy, but he has his loud times, and if he is not in the mood to be played with or is PO'd at me for some imagined slight, is more then happy to bite me to remind me. THe rare times I boarded him, he was angry for a few days, but calmed down eventually. A kid would be angry about that too! THey are like children, really. YOu got to explain your absences or they hold grudges.

You will make changes in your daily life for this creature, there can be little doubt. You will consider him in any planned activities away from the home, that is for sure.

dcfla

Apr 25, 2024
Parrots
We Have 3 Now Senior Pooches & One Paco. An Orange Winged Amazon.
I am very very very very unlucky.
why?, because i decided i want a big ol' cockatoo.

I cannot make this part of me go away no matter how many times i hear about how they're "nightmare birds", "the worst pet" and a lot more, the main reason why is because...
a lot of the statements i hear are very very generalized, to the point of seeming like hyperbole

"Cockatoos scream for HOURS on end"
Don't they need 4 ish hours of undivided attention? during which they don't seem to be screaming at all?, most fits i see are minutes long, and they are not awake for a long enough time to be "literally" screaming for "hours"

"You won't have any nice things left"
I know they have strong beaks, but does that really mean NOTHING will EVER be safe?, it seems like this again an exaggeration, i doubt that a cockatoo will destroy things that are safely kept away from it

Another reason is the sheer amount of inconsistent advice i hear, there are so many examples i could list but it's generally very difficult for me to find completely identical answers to the same question, some people are very calm about owning a cockatoo and treat it like no issue, and others will post about how miserable their life is because of their owning of one, and that's not even getting into behavioural tendencies and general care guides, it seems like cockatoos are very inconsistent?, as in some birds aren't particularly fiendish.

I just really want a comprehensive understanding of what taking care of these birds is like, the minimums and maximums WITHOUT any exaggeration please, negative or otherwise, i want to know how long i can leave it alone (You will NEVER travel again vs You can just let someone take care of it for a week), their behaviour (screaming as stated above), and literally any other thing about owning a cockatoo!!!
P.S I am thinking of getting a Moluccan, Triton or Umbrella Cockatoo.
Hello, We Did Rescue an Umbrella Cockatoo. Was Able to Care for Her for about 7+ Years. Always Wished I did NOT have to Rehome Her Because, You Will Fall In Love Even IF they're mean. Why? Because, They ARE Like a Child, They Are Sweet Even when they're Mean Because they're doing it for Attention, Which They Require a Lot Of. If They don't, Something Is Wrong with them. Might Have had TOO many Homes & They've Emotionally Checked Out. That Would Be Sad BUT Unfortunately Happens to the Larger Parrots ALL Too Frequently. They Do Love, Just Like Our Pooches & Other Animals Do. They Also "Choose" A Person They'll Bond to More than If there Are other members of a Family. They Are Loud, At Times, They Are Expensive Because They're NOT Seed Eaters. They Require Fresh Fruits & Veggies. Just like Other Animals there are Also Things They Cannot Have, Because It'll Kill Them. Even Our Orange Winged Amazon Cannot Have some Food Items & You have to be Careful even with "Candles or Scents
" They Are Sensitive to. There are a Lot of Resources online to Help Educate Yourself on How to Care for them, But, They Do Need Everything & Maybe More than a Young Child. Like the Other Poster Said, Like they've All Said. Are they worth it? If You Have the Time, The Love, The Patience & The Money & The HOME to Make Sure They Are Always Taken Care of, Then YES. If Not, You're Only Further Hurting the Animal. Their Lives Are Only So Long, Just Like Our Own, But, They're So Often Just Rehomed & Given Away, Sold, What Ever. Each Time It is a Highly Emotional & Depressing thing to Happen TO Them. At the Time I Rehomed My Stella the Fella, I Was Sick & My Rescue Toy Poodle was Dying & Stella Only Wanted Me. She Hated, Well Didn't Hate, But made it Clear She Only Wanted Me. I Did Everything to Make Sure if Our Circumstances Changed, We Could Get Her Back. I Gave the "Sanctuary MONEY" a 9-10 or Large # of Pages About Stella. Her Likes, Dislikes, How She Liked to Play, What She Liked to Eat, Everything I Could Possibly Think Of. THE SANCTUARY Sold Her. I Found Out Where & to Who, the "Lady" Would Reply Once in a While & Then Just Didn't Want to be Bothered Anymore, I Remember Asking the "Sanctuary Owner"Since I'm Giving Her Very Large Cage & Toys & Everything With Her, Will She Be Able to Keep At Least All of that She's Familiar with? She Lied & Said Yes. Found Out, The "Lady" Who BOUGHT her Didn't Take Her Cage or Anything Stella Knew Was Hers. It's been Since 2012 & I Still Miss Stella Every Day. So, While They Do Require a Lot of "Work" If You Have the Compassion for Them, You'll Understand Quickly Why They're All Deserving of All the Love & ATTENTION You Can give them. BTW We Did One Time In 7 years Maybe Twice Leave her with Family, After We went on a short trip, But, She'd Bite them, Because She was Pissed it wasn't me, So, Their...Mistake Was thinking they Could ACT like me Thinking She'd just be Thankful to be Fed, Ugh No. She Wanted Me & Was Always SOOOO Happy to See me when We got back She made it Known, Instantly, Yes, She'd Get Loud & Very Very Happy! It's Why it Still Hurts thinking of How SHE Felt When She Had to Be Taken From HER Home after 7 Years. Sorry, But YUP, Still Hurts. As Much as the Hurt You Feel when You Lose Any One, Any Animal or Family Member. Because That Is What They Are, Or SHOULD Be. Hope this Helps You one way or Another.

Most Reactions

Latest posts