Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Skittles does exactly the same thing whenever he's around my best friend. He is on 'high alert' around anyone but me, but when it comes to my best friend, he does NOT like her one bit and flies at her at random.

He has bitten her REALLY bad and she no doubt has some 'fear' of him now and I sense that he picks up on it. But I also think he senses how close I am to my friend and perhaps sees her as a 'threat' and is jealous. I don't know. Maybe that's the case with your husband. It would be sooooo much easier if they could just tell us 'hey, stay away from so and so, you belong to me!'.

I just try my best not to 'encourage' that behavior. But I don't know WHY he does it, so it's hard to address.

Yep, this is pretty much exactly what we think it is too. Thing is, we've both handled her from day 1! She just decided that I am wonderful and he is evil.

She has her good days with him though, and sometimes when I'm at work Hubby can let her out and have absolutely no problems with her at all :S he is so good about continually trying to earn her trust, I'm lucky he's not one of those people that wants to get rid of an animal as soon as things get rough. Today she bit him hard on the face, I felt so terrible :(. But again my hubby is so sweet and understanding he just says "she's just a bitey bird…. it's not her fault."

Once we figure out EXACTLY what it is he's doing that's bothering her, I'm sure it will get better again. For a while we were on a spree of good days (about 10 days without getting bit) but she's suddenly cranky again.:yellow2:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
It may not necessarily be anything he's doing. But I think observing to see if it is, is a great idea.

I have heard that taking turns feeding them and holding them and trying to spend the same amount of time with them is important. I've never been in such a situation as far as 'living' with someone and a bird so I may not be the best person to advise on that.

I'm glad your husband is so understanding. It's not always that way with couples who share a bird(s).

PS, also I find that birds, like humans, have moods. There have been some days where Skittles is super sweet and cuddly and some days he's been a royal pain and nippy. It could just be that your bird is in fact just going through a phase, who knows.

Most Reactions

Latest posts