Unusual behavior.

kgrube

Apr 21, 2023
Parrots
Parakeet
Hello everyone, I am back. Neptune has always been a chatty bird but recently he's been very subdued. He appears to be preening actually more than usual- and he will stand on one leg and move his wings back every once in a while. He appears to be eating and drinking. But, he's been making clicking sounds along with not moving too much. I also included pictures of his fecal matter. Should I take him to a vet? And if so how do I go about doing it? I've never really had to do this before since this is my first little bird.

My family friend said that maybe he needs more fresh fruits and veggies in his diet- could this be signs of malnutrition?

Attachments

• 16839884533117478076698229204420.jpg
    16839884533117478076698229204420.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 168398847786536529003992830004.jpg
    168398847786536529003992830004.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20230513_142833256.jpg
    PXL_20230513_142833256.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20230513_142828759.jpg
    PXL_20230513_142828759.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 37

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello everyone, I am back. Neptune has always been a chatty bird but recently he's been very subdued. He appears to be preening actually more than usual- and he will stand on one leg and move his wings back every once in a while. He appears to be eating and drinking. But, he's been making clicking sounds along with not moving too much. I also included pictures of his fecal matter. Should I take him to a vet? And if so how do I go about doing it? I've never really had to do this before since this is my first little bird.

My family friend said that maybe he needs more fresh fruits and veggies in his diet- could this be signs of malnutrition?
He a cute little guy! He looks healthy and his poops look normal to me. Does Neptune share this cage with any other birds? He doesn't appear to have many toys in this cage. The perches are plain dowel rods which aren't very good for his feet because they are too smooth without variations in the diameter. Natural perches are better. Best to purchase them instead of collecting your own because they could have pesticides or road pollutants on them, insects in them, or be a wood that's toxic.
You should have an inexpensive little cage to use to take him to the vet.
Standing on one leg is very normal unless that's all he does.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I agree with what Donna said, but I would also like to add that you should probably remove the happy hut as it is a potential hazard. If chewed, the fibers could be ingested and cause an impaction or he could get tangled in the threads and become injured or even pass away. On addition to that, it encourages breeding hormones which can lead to aggressive males and females, excessive masturbation in males, and egg laying in females, which can be fatal (either lack of vitamins and minerals, or egg binding, which is when an egg becomes stuck in the female).

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
He a cute little guy! He looks healthy and his poops look normal to me. Does Neptune share this cage with any other birds? He doesn't appear to have many toys in this cage. The perches are plain dowel rods which aren't very good for his feet because they are too smooth without variations in the diameter. Natural perches are better. Best to purchase them instead of collecting your own because they could have pesticides or road pollutants on them, insects in them, or be a wood that's toxic.
You should have an inexpensive little cage to use to take him to the vet.
Standing on one leg is very normal unless that's all he does.
He looks like he needs some friends!

OP
K

kgrube

Apr 21, 2023
Parrots
Parakeet
I agree with what Donna said, but I would also like to add that you should probably remove the happy hut as it is a potential hazard. If chewed, the fibers could be ingested and cause an impaction or he could get tangled in the threads and become injured or even pass away. On addition to that, it encourages breeding hormones which can lead to aggressive males and females, excessive masturbation in males, and egg laying in females, which can be fatal (either lack of vitamins and minerals, or egg binding, which is when an egg becomes stuck in the female).
Thank you so much! I will do that e

OP
K

kgrube

Apr 21, 2023
Parrots
Parakeet
I recently bought another little bird but have him in another cage for right now! I want to eventually have them in the same cage- but I want to make the necessary adjustments to their main cage. (I.e natural perches, more toys, and more.) I am also monitoring the new bird to see if he's healthy, I'm watching his poop and his behavior haha! I've been so anxious to be good to them.

Attachments

• PXL_20230513_180313033.jpg
    PXL_20230513_180313033.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
K

kgrube

Apr 21, 2023
Parrots
Parakeet
I actually assume that his energy being sort of low is due to molting- his feathers have been coming out but they've been replaced fairly quickly. There is no signs of balding or such. But I could be wrong! Just something I found while researching.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I recently bought another little bird but have him in another cage for right now! I want to eventually have them in the same cage- but I want to make the necessary adjustments to their main cage. (I.e natural perches, more toys, and more.) I am also monitoring the new bird to see if he's healthy, I'm watching his poop and his behavior haha! I've been so anxious to be good to them.
An adorable buddy for Neptune!

Most Reactions

Latest posts