Up date on Mulawa & Delfin

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Mulawa is progressing along quite well, She is now eating small amounts Pellets, fruit, vegies and two syringes of formula. Mulawa is stepping up and down :D. I can put her on one shoulders while Delfin is on the other.

Her flying is a lot better then last week (a lot of crash landings) and is improving each day. She can now fly from the stand to the top of the cage. Over the last few days I been watching her practice her flying by going back and forth from the stand to the top of the cage.

When we feed the formula to Mulawa (of course Delfin has to be fed too LOL) we have a stand in the kitchen for Delfin to perch on. But Mulawa is using now. Anyway Today Mulawa Decided that she want to be closer to the action and flew onto my head. She still hasn't perfected landing yet, so I guess my head was a easier landing spot then my shoulder.

I Put a divider in the cage so Delfin and Mulawa can get use to each other without the risk of Delfin becoming over excited and hurting Mulawa. It will be different when Mulawa has become fully grown. During the day the cage doors are left open so they can interact under supervision.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so glad that things are going so well!
How are they interacting in the cage through the divider?
It sounds like she is getting the landing down (at least on your head!)
Please share some pics of Mulawa (and Delfin of course:) )

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Yes! We'd love to see some pics of the happy couple! It'll be fun, watching Mulawa grow up with Delfin. :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Heehee! You will find, eventually, that Mulawa will come to rule the roost. Everything I've read about Alexandrines suggests the hens are dominant over the cocks and I have utterly no reason to disagree. Madge positively badgers poor Barney, even though he's significantly bigger than she is. She's also a lot more irascible and cage-aggressive, although she's a sweetheart in the hand.

Now that my Beakies are growing up, I really miss the baby stage: I envy you having little Mulawa to baby along! She looks like a real little sweetie! :)

Madge still does the baby thrusting feeding response thing when I feed her stuff from my hands. She still likes to try and 'drink' peanut butter from my finger and I find it so endearing. Alexes really are the best, aren't they?

OP
D

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Yes Alexes are the best :D. Mulawa has a slight cage aggressive issue but I'm working through that. She is also very possessive of the food and food bowls. Hand feeding is working well with this. She is very food driven which works well to my advantaged when training and in conjunction with clicker training.

Once she is out of the cage, she will step up step down. Her landing techniques are improving. I have had her fly to my finger a few times, but at other times, the top of my head is preferable. Short hair and sharp talons don't work well together (painful) well from my perspective they don't work, from Milawa's they do.

When I give Delfin his shower I also included Mulawa But she only gets a light misting has she is not quite sure yet. but she is watching Delfin get all excited during his shower. After food, showers would be Delfin's next favourite thing. He goes nuts when he sees the spray bottle.

At this point in time we're letting Mulawa choose to come out of the cage. Because the cage is Mulawa's safe place. She needs to have the courage to come out of the cage. Young birds need a lot more interaction and training so they develop into well behaved birds :cool:.

Mulawa is also becoming more vocal in the last few days. She calls out and answers when called to.

With that I'm off to interact with the Delfin and Mulawa :).

DoodlesMom

Nov 25, 2014
Phoenix,Arizona
Parrots
GCC >Doodle
Your Alexes are BEAUTIFUL! I love reading everyones progress reports with a new fid!
Delfin and Mulawa seem to get on well together and you sure are a proud poppa!!

OP
D

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Today for the first time Mulawa has some mango and baby cucumber which she seem to enjoy. She seems to like most of the food we give her and she really likes string beans and sugar and snap pea.

For the last week I have been training Mulawa to eat from a small table next my chair. But she prefers the to be up higher than the table, like on the perch or cage. Although she is staying on the table for longer periods. The longest been 30 seconds. This will be requiring small steps to achieve this.

She is still possessive over food until I give her a piece of food then she's fine. This has also been improving over the last fortnight. Last week I had to give her at least six to seven pieces of food before she calmed down. Today it was one piece I put this down to her being parent raised and of a young age. But with each interaction we are slowly building up trust.

I have also been hand feeding her through the cage which has helped immensely with the cage aggression. She with approach me no matter were I stand at the cage. When she is climbing up the cage I rub her belly and she will stop when I do this.

When she is perched on my finger I will gently rub her feet with my thumb and it calms her down, I also did this with Delfin.:D

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Great progress with the little girl, Peter! The Beaks send their regards. :)

OP
D

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
we have just finish dinner. Delfin and Mulawa were still out of the cage. Delfin decided to start shredding catalogues from the local shops and Mulawa was eating. I was sitting down to digest my dinner. So naturally I logged onto the FORUM. While I was reading some threads, I looked up and there was Delfin and Mulawa in the same side of the cage, together, taking turns in eating a slice of apple on a steel skewer :).

I have placed a mesh divider inside the cage so they are separate but the mesh is large enough for them to only put their heads through. This way they can choose to interact with each other or not. They have been sitting closer together at night. It's getting closer to removing the divider maybe in a month, or bit more.

Mulawa is becoming a bit more adventurous and is venturing from the cage further and further. My third son got her to step up onto his finger and he walked around the house with her showing all the rooms. I told him to do that once a day with her.

Mulawa is progressing along well. Trish, Delfin and Mulawa squawk their greetings to you and the beaks.

Most Reactions