Up-Date on Zilla

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Just got back from the vet. She has a respiratory infection.

It's not too bad yet, so hopefully we caught it in time.

They gave an antibiotic injection and sent her home with a prescription I have to give her every 12 hours. Keep her warm and make sure she is eating and drinking. (even though it was FREEZING in the room they put us in and I had to stand over her carrier to block the cold air from getting to her as much as I could)

She was such a good girl! :D I am so amazed with her attitude even after a 45 minute car ride she didn't scream or bite anyone! She was wanting me to scratch her head through the bars of the carrier the whole time we were there.:) Made me feel all warm and squishy inside.

As soon as we got home she went strait to her "fresh food" dish and started begging for me to put food in it. I gave her a few bites of her favorite things and she ate them then ate some seed.

We have a follow up appointment Monday afternoon, or if she gets worse we will go back tomorrow.

I'm hoping for some sleep tonight since she seems better already but I'm going to sit and watch her for awhile before I decide if it's another recliner night or if I am comfortable going to bed.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you so much for the update, Amanda. :) You had to have been SO exhausted! :11:

With Zilla's healthy appetite, and your quick action getting her to the vet and getting properly diagnosed, I am confident she will now make a full recovery. :)

What a scare that was for you!!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm hoping for some sleep tonight since she seems better already but I'm going to sit and watch her for awhile before I decide if it's another recliner night or if I am comfortable going to bed.

^^^^^^^The sign of a good parrot owner^^^^^

Glad sweet Zilla is feeling better!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Amanda, thank you for the update. I know you were so worried. Now that her infection is being treated, both of you will be able to get some rest. I hope she feels much better very soon.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I did end up feeling comfortable going to my own bed at about midnight last night, but was up at 5am to check on her.

She immediately greeted me and started looking and asking for breakfast. She ate very well, just like normal. Preened and chatted with me for about an hour and then had second breakfast!

She weighs 350 grams, not sure if that is normal since she looks a bit chunky, but will talk to her regular vet tomorrow about it.

Her tail is back in line where it should be with no "bobbing" and her chest is barely moving, so she is breathing almost normal this morning.

I gave her the fist dose of her new meds, and even got all but a small drop down her! :) She is so so good about taking the meds even though I know she hates it. She still hasn't bit hard enough to hurt me, or even leave a mark on me! Such a good girl. She got her favorite dried hot pepper treat after being so good and not taking any of my fingers off!

She is now acting like a monkey with feathers, hanging upside down and playing with her toys.

I am a very lucky parront mommy! I think I hit the jackpot when she came into my life and I already can't imagine life without her! :green:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Awww, I'm so glad Zilla is feeling so much better already. She sounds like a real sweetheart, being so good at her vet visit and taking her meds. She's a lucky girl to have found you, Amanda.

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Binky my 11 month old quaker,brought him home July 11,2014. Olly my o.w.a is 8 years old.brought him home,sept.3rd. :-)
I'm happy that zilla is OK :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts