update on Polly

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
Charlie the birdie, yellow naped amazon and little bird, a monk parrot , and Polly -yellow crowned amazon
Polly has been here almost two months now, wow! She has had a couple of rough patches but she is doing SO MUCH BETTER!! After a couple of warm mist baths she began to finally preen her feathers herself. She eats EVERYTHING! She likes her pellets, all the fresh food and the occasional seeds she sometimes gets. She seems to be stronger and putting on a little weight finally. I can't feel her rib bones anymore but her keel bone is still really pronounced. The vet and I are a little worried about vitamin deficiencies but the change in diet is going to take a while to show improvements in the feathering, skin, and weight changes, so we are just continuing to do what we have been doing. The change in perches to natural wood and one cement/sanding perch have done wonders for her feet and beak. (she has a new rough patch on the beak now, since the last visit, that may need to be looked at by the vet ) She doesn't seem to care for being misted the way Charlie does (he ADORES his bath time!!:D) She can't fly at all (I am not sure if she ever learned) and she has fallen off her cage a couple of times trying to jump at me or to me. She has a new, roomier cage and a swing that she seems puzzled about:confused:. She steps up to me readily but wants to ride my shoulder instead of my arm (which got me a hard bite on the face, when she got scared of something:eek:) The vet says she may take six months to a year for full recuperation of her feathers and skin. And we are keeping an eye on the possible heart and artery clogging caused by her former diet. She still looks kind of ragged next to the super handsome (and very healthy) Charlie bird but the vet says that is just a matter of time also. Polly is still closely monitored for secondary or opportunistic infections/complications from long term neglect/malnourishment. But I think she is on the road to recovery. On the emotional front she seems to be bonding to me and friendly to the rest of the human household. She and Charlie avoid being on the same cage or playstand at the same time. Mostly because Charlie thinks he should be mom's only love ;) Polly's previous owner's son (the guy who gave her to me) had a stroke about a week after giving her to me and is now in a rehab facility, which breaks my heart for him but I am so glad he sent Polly to me beforehand because no one else would have taken her.:(

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
Wow, you have done so much for her. She is a very lucky bird to have found you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts