Upturned Feather

Mcgold5426

Feb 10, 2018
I have a Sun Conure with a feather thatā€™s sticking out and upside down on his wing. It doesnā€™t seem to be bothering him, but itā€™s not falling out. Should I pull it out?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'd leave it, especially since it doesn't seem to be bothersome. It would most likely hurt, and that would lessen his trust, at least temporarily. On the offchance it's a blood feather (still growing, and attached to blood supply), that can get dangerous fast. Do you keep flour or corn starch round? That can be used in an emergency to pack the shaft of a bleeding feather or other wounds while you're contacting your vet. Styptic was recommended back in the day, but not so much now. Here are some reading possibilities. It really can get complicated...
As an official Queen of Paranoia, I would probably take the bird to a vet because it just MIGHT be a medical issue.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bir...rome..69i57.8395j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As advised, leaving feathers for them to naturally or with the help of your Parrot is the best way.

It is fairly common for Wing and Tail Feathers to molt as you have seen with this feather.

Enjoy!

Most Reactions