URGENT HELP NEEDED! PLucking and toe tapping

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I wouldn't supplement. Only in a case like Uglow's where the vet recommended it due to a specific issue. I tend to increase my birds' calcium and protein intake a little when they are molting. Nothing extreme. Just a little to account for the increase in demands on the body.

I am so glad to hear that Sofus has stopped tapping! It can be so heart-wrenching when they are suffering through that.

I usually use this in their water during molting: Versele-Laga Muta-Vit Liquid Moulting Supplement |Great deals

I am just not sure it is safe for ekkies?? Especially since he has just tapped not long ago.

I personally would not add that to his water. Like Stephen, I try to increase nutrients like calcium and protein during molting, but with changes in diet as opposed to supplementation. Offering a hard boiled egg with the shell would be a good source of both protein and calcium.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I wouldn't supplement. Only in a case like Uglow's where the vet recommended it due to a specific issue. I tend to increase my birds' calcium and protein intake a little when they are molting. Nothing extreme. Just a little to account for the increase in demands on the body.

I am so glad to hear that Sofus has stopped tapping! It can be so heart-wrenching when they are suffering through that.

I usually use this in their water during molting: Versele-Laga Muta-Vit Liquid Moulting Supplement |Great deals

I am just not sure it is safe for ekkies?? Especially since he has just tapped not long ago.
I'm not familiar with that particular brand, but I can tell you that eclectus parrots tend not to do very well on supplements in general. There are people who claim to have found a specific brand of supplement that does indeed work for their ekkie. I can't speak to that, but I do know that ekkie parrots are just more vulnerable to complications born of dietary supplementation, be it pellets or added vitamins.

Given that dietary sensitivity, I opt not to risk it and give my ekkies an all fresh diet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts